It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Asteroids near Earth.Today!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Thousands of new discovered asteroids are orbiting around the Earth,the question is if they could impact with Earth and when!
Just asking my self how project Spaceguard is working!

TextAbout 1000 asteroids big enough to cause catastrophic damage if they hit Earth are orbiting relatively nearby, a NASA survey shows. In a project known as Spaceguard, the US space agency was ordered by Congress in 1998 to find 90 per cent of objects near Earth that are 1km in diameter or larger. The survey is now complete, with 93 percent of the objects accounted for, astronomer Amy Mainzer of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, said at the American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco on Tuesday. Using NASA's recently retired Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) telescope, scientists also found about 20,500 smaller asteroids near Earth. Previous studies estimated there were 36,000 to 100,000 of these objects, which have a diameter of about 100 meters (110 yards). "They could still pack quite a punch," Mainzer told Reuters, adding that "any impact is not a very likely event." Read More
source(thecomingcrisis.blogspot.com...

Visit link for full article.

Is there something that NASA don't want us to know?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Visit link for full article.

Visiting a blog called "The Coming Crisis" is probably not your best source for scientific information. Try the following instead:

www.spaceweather.com...

minorplanetcenter.net...

impact.arc.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The one that will hit us will come in with little to no warning. It's not worth worrying about.
2nd line.........

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
The one that will hit us will come in with little to no warning. It's not worth worrying about.
2nd line.........
I am very worried,and yes we must know before that is why they have project Spaceguard!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Found another link Reuters

"They could still pack quite a punch," Mainzer told Reuters, adding that "any impact is not a very likely event."

Scientists are now using archived WISE observations to home in on potentially hazardous objects whose orbits come within about 4.6 million miles (7.4 million km) of Earth.

A bit fear mongering with the title of this thread. The article title actually is this:
NASA catalogs thousands of asteroids near Earth
93% is pretty a good catalog. I still suspect there are more smaller ones that they haven't detected as of yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Wait??

NASA does a survey, they come up with a result, and precent the result to you, me and every one else...
And then you write this: Is there something that NASA don't want us to know?

I don't get i
what do you mean?

It's no surprice to me that a lot of stuff is flying around our planet, with a chance of hitting it, just look at the scars on earth, and the moon or any other planet out there.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Is there something that NASA don't want us to know?

Well if there is something that NASA don't want us to know.......they wouldn't release the findings of their survey would they?

eta: Mianeye beat me too it

edit on 8/12/2011 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

The day when the Earth will be hit by an asteroid Will be a calm day with no warning from no one!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Yes they will...and they will get us to safe place underground....!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The title kinda makes it sound like they just showed up. But reading the info it sounds like they have been there for a long time. So this is nothing new, right? Or am I reading this wrong?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The title kinda makes it sound like they just showed up. But reading the info it sounds like they have been there for a long time. So this is nothing new, right? Or am I reading this wrong?
Ask NASA!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I saw a meteor hit in a field about 200 meters from the house late last night. It was pretty cool - it burst into blue sparks just before it hit the ground. I will go look for it later today.

edit on 8-12-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
Well if there is something that NASA don't want us to know.......they wouldn't release the findings of their survey would they?

eta: Mianeye beat me too it

edit on 8/12/2011 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

Maybe it's some sort of bizarre reverse psychology,lol

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
I saw a meteor hit in a field about 200 meters from the house late last night. It was pretty cool - it burst into blue sparks just before it hit the ground. I will go look for it later today.

edit on 8-12-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)
Depend who will be first at the site!Maybe it was a space ship,or a satellite!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Seriusly
Thats awesome, don't hesitate taking pictures, and post them on ATS

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I am guessing it to be the size of a basketball (ergo no space ship but it did remind me of those probes that hit the Hoth planet in The Empire Strikes Back....maybe it is a big blue diamond (carbon) like your avatar! It was after 11pm local time....I doubt anyone else saw it as I think it only lit up for a few seconds.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

I am guessing it to be the size of a basketball (ergo no space ship but it did remind me of those probes that hit the Hoth planet in The Empire Strikes Back....maybe it is a big blue diamond (carbon) like your avatar! It was after 11pm local time....I doubt anyone else saw it as I think it only lit up for a few seconds.
Good for you if you find it some pictures will be nice...if any!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

There is no reason to believe that they "just showed up".

I mean, what would be the odds that these asteroids just showed up at the exact time we have the capability to find them. That would be an amazing coincidence.

For example, the Cassini spacecraft in orbit around Saturn discovered a few Moons of Saturn that we can't see from Earth. It is almost certainly the case that those moons have been there a long long time prior to their discovery, rather than them just showing up at the same time Cassini started taking pictures.

edit on 12/8/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Something the size of a basketball would have been noticed by more than just you.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
They are not all around earth now and may never get within a lunar distance, one of the many additional 'cyber shock impact' threads by a member that authors one at least once a week.

That is all I have to say about the thread title, the rest is speculation out of my major field of study.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join