It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death By weather!!??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
i cant take it anymore why are our schools shutting? why are our local councils and businesses closing ?

because of weather?

last year it snowed a bit (far less than in some countries on a daily basis e.g canada) and the whole of the uk grinded to a halt..... i walked for 45 min everyday to come to work and people were calling in because it was too cold and the weather was bad....eh???

now today ive learned that the local council has closed its doors and so have schools and some businesses

becuse of wind

RED WARNING of WIND Severe gales will affect many northern and central parts of the UK today, with particularly damaging storm force winds likely across parts of Scotland. Disruption is expected to be greatest in central and southern Scotland, with a high risk of structural damage. Travelling conditions will be extremely poor with the risk of significant delays. Winds will ease from the west through Thursday evening. Valid until 2100 Thursday.

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.xcweather.co.uk...

Are we being turned into scared wimps or just is this how people live now ....lazy...?

does this happen wher you are? are you noticing the same?

thanks

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wedidgothacked

To be fair, where i live last year we had nearly 2 months of continuous snow whereas normally we get about 2 days - obviously this had an effect on the local area.

However, in general, i think you are probably right with this. We are getting 'wetter' about everything these days. Look at the ban on competition in schools! (thanks for preparing our kids for the real world!).

This storm is slightly different too in that it is potentially far stronger than what we are used to receiving.

In summary, right rant but on the wrong day!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Hard weather is a problem and the snow last year was harsh but it does feel as if we are being told to sit on or behinds and be scared and hide, adverse weather affects loads of us world wide.

god help the uk if something really bad happens, we'd not be able to pick ourselves up after something like japans tsunami.....

.wheres the fighting spirit?, wheres the chest out and chin up atiitude?

gone

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don’t think people are actually scared of the weather in UK, they just use it as an excuse to get a day off work or school lol. Also we usually have dull weather; I guess it adds a bit of excitement feeling like you are entering the Antarctic every time you step out your door lol.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I get what you are saying, but the storm in scotland today is a very violent weather system. 100mph gusts of wind are predicted along with heavy snowfall that will create serious blizzard conditions. I would not want my kids out in such weather, would you?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
I get what you are saying, but the storm in scotland today is a very violent weather system. 100mph gusts of wind are predicted along with heavy snowfall that will create serious blizzard conditions. I would not want my kids out in such weather, would you?

Try living in North Dakota. That is normal.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by chevy369

exactly my point.

its normal to others and here we are shutting up shop

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I've seen winds like the ones currently up in Scotland at the moment - 80+ MPH in places.

I don't think it's scared of the weather but these conditions do make for some hazards that I think these days people would go to court for. Maybe this didn't happen in the past as much and therefor wasn't a problem, i'm not sure, but it would be a reasonable explanation. When the roof tiles start flying off or people are blown off their feet, sometimes into traffic or some other hazard, they turn to lawyers to get some money. This might be more of the thing they are fearing.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I would think schools and shops are closing
because with extreme bad weather that is
unusual in the area they don't have the
equipment to handle it. In areas where
they get a lot of snow they have lots of
snow plows and salt. I think for the safety
of people its best to close and stay home.
Stay safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Exactly. This storm is only an issue as we are not really used to it or geared up for it.

Britain is the windiest place in Europe but we are not used to such high winds. Just constant wind!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by chevy369

Ok so this is a little update, Police have told people in Scotland not to travel, as severe winds of up to 165mph are battering the country, leaving thousands without power. (are winds of 165mph a normal everyday occurrence for you there in Dakota)? I think the OP and some of the posters here do not understand the severity of the situation in scotland today. www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I enjoy a long walk every day and the only thing that really puts me off is heavy rain, particularly if it's accompanied by strong winds.

I go through at least part of the forest when I'm out and I often joke about being hit by falling branches. A couple of weeks ago, I heard a noise just above me and a small branch fell less than a yard in front of me. So, it's unlikely but possible to suffer death and injury by falling bits of trees

I love being out in the snow and just make sure to be wrapped up properly. The best advice I could give anyone is to make sure their feet are well looked after. Warm socks and strong boots will help enormously. And a hoodie - I'm so glad that hoods came into fashion.

Snow days off school - bah. Never 'eard of 'em when I was attending school. If only........ gawd I used to hate school. I don't think I'll be begrudging today's little kids their respite.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't live in Dakota but I can still
say 165 mph winds are not normal.
That would be considered hurricane
force winds. With the cold and snow
and power out this is not good at all.
Please keep us updated as I am
truly concerned for those in the
path of this storm.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
without bashing the media , actual weather observations have reported no 165 mph winds

www.xcweather.co.uk...

the media is stating 160 mph winds

edit on 8-12-2011 by wedidgothacked because: puntuation

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

i live there, and im at work, its not a disaster

www.xcweather.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join