It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a question. Why Arab men wear a dress?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Proof it!I

A man in Islam must cover his genitalia, anything that covers from belly button to above the knees is ok, pants are ok.

you say Arabs, then you say their religion, you are mixing up ethnicity with religion with traditions, an Arab is not necessarily a Muslim, Arabs are not all the same

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
A lot of guys in SE Asia wear sarongs,which are sort of like a wrap around "skirt."
Its a cultural thing,which the climate has a lot to do with.

Didn't really take to it myself when I was in that part of the world,not because I thought they looked silly-more because of the damned mosquitoes.

With this global warming I wonder if some day....

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

edit on 8-12-2011 by diamondsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by h_jordan

I didn't say Arabs or religion,I say Arabs and religion,one cannot exclude the other.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

I didn't say Arabs or religion,I say Arabs and religion,one cannot exclude the other.

one can exclude the other of course, religion is something, "ethnicity" is something else, i agree that all got mixed up and can be viewed as "The Islamic Culture", but in reality Arabs are not all Muslims, even when you say Islam you have to be aware that Islam has too many sects within, they differ, can you say Christians and mean Europeans? or can you ask the question: why Europeans wear skirts because Scottish do/did?

the word Arabs is a very broad word and it does not mean Muslims, not today at least.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

The origins of culture and customs I think are more stronger in the Arab world today then in the past!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The first thing I thought of was "modesty". So I looked it up.....Just as the women are supposed to cover so as not to show off their bodies, men must wear loose fitting clothing too...so as not to draw sexual attention.
www.merchantcircle.com... 302619
www.ummah.com...
www.netplaces.com...
edit on 12/8/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
The first thing I thought of was "modesty". So I looked it up.....Just as the women are supposed to cover so as not to show off their bodies, men must wear loose fitting clothing too...so as not to draw sexual attention.
www.merchantcircle.com... 302619
www.ummah.com...
www.netplaces.com...
edit on 12/8/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)
That's why women walk behind the men?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I might have found a little something of interest:

Note 1 (Quran Ref: 74:1 )
The expression muddaththir (an abbreviated form of mutadaththir) signifies "one who is covered [with something]" or "enfolded [in something]"; and all philologists point out that the verb dathara, from which the above participial noun is derived, may equally well have a concrete or abstract connotation. Most of the commentators understand the phrase "O thou enfolded one" in its literal, concrete sense, and assume that it refers to the Prophet’s habit of covering himself with a cloak or blanket when he felt that a revelation was about to begin. Razi, however, notes that this apostrophe may well have been used metaphorically, as an allusion to Muhammad's intense desire for solitude before the beginning of his prophetic mission (cf. introductory note to surah 96): and this, according to Razi, would explain his being thus addressed in connection with the subsequent call, "Arise and warn" - i.e., "Give now up thy solitude, and stand up before all the world as a preacher and warner."(Quran Ref: 74:1 )

www.islamicity.com...

My best guess? Muslims do it because Muhammad did it.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

So,it's a question of religion!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
in hot climates like where they live its alot more comfortable than wearing western clothes.

doesnt overheat the body like western clothes do.

So, the heat is everything?

Nooooooo.

There is a conspiracy behind choosing what to wear in years.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

in hot climates like where they live its alot more comfortable than wearing western clothes.

Nooooooo.

What kind of conspiracy?The dressed up conspiracy?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

Nooooooo.

What kind of conspiracy?The dressed up conspiracy?

exactly . The UFO dressed up like humans

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Clearly a ROBE not a DRESS! I would think everyone would be aware that desert attire has always been head covering and loose robes for very good reason. I actually think it looks attractive the way some cultures wear theirs, reminds me of Laurence of Arabia!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

So, just because you run around in your silly pants, and sweatshirt with star wars as a logo,
don't think that the whole world is like that.

And I don't know if it has anything to do with their religion.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
OK. I think your benefit of the doubt has run out.

Your continued use of the term "dress" when it is obviously not is just one of many examples of you attempting to make fun of people and cultures that differ from yours.

You've gone from ignorant to stupid on this one.

Go here and quit trolling.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It is not only "religion" by itself. Other than all three Abrahamic faiths commanding people to cover their genitalia.

Now, not all Arabs wear a "dress" as you call it. Those that live in cold climates (like the US or Europe) usually dress as Westerners (Islamic or not).

You could ask why Afghans wear similar "dresses" even though they also live in a colder climate. Well, it would be helpful to introduce the term "culture" instead of just religion and ethnicity.
The Afghans are mostly Muslim, which is a religion with an Arabic origin, and Arabic is the holy language. The Persians are a very different type of Muslim (Shi'ite) and they delight in their differences.

People in Indonesia (the largest Muslim country of the world by population) wear yet a third type of a mix, with some coming from their tropical traditions, and some wear European clothes. (I guess it also depends on whether you have air conditioning or not...

Pants or pairs of trousers were used by Iranians - and by ancient Western Europeans, the so-called Barbarians that came to Europe around the fall of the Roman Empire. Mostly the Germanic tribes, but I think also some Celts. All Romans and Greeks as well as many other Mediterranean folks wore togas and other loose-fitting garments at the time. They looked upon wearing "pants" as being barbaric and uncivilized.

That changed now. In most places where Western technology made a headway, Western dress was adopted.
One example was Turkey, where the revolution of Atatürk made it obligatory to adopt Western ways of dressing (except for wearing Turkish caps instead of turbans), along with adopting the Western Latin alphabet for the Turkish language, even though their culture had been for centuries the center of a strong Islamic revival.

I think these days it shows a sense of belonging in certain countries (not Egypt). Plus, we may want to keep in mind that there are a lot of Arab Christians, and even some Arab Jews...

Please correct me if I am wrong.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well im scottish, i own a kilt, i wear it at festivals etc. bbq's its much more comoftable on hot days,

from my understand there is an area kept cool between the legs when wearing tradition "Arab" Garb
essentially a bubble of cold between the layers of warm.

just from what i was taught though,

As far as the religous stuff folks have spoke about i dont think that is correct, from my understanding the movement in Islam to not allow woman to bring attention to there bodies and the same with men is somthing relativley new in terms of the religon, somewhere like 150-200 years,

prior to that the main concern was the covering of the hair certainley for women as this is meant to be there most sacred asset.

it may be seen or even accepted as the reasoning behind wearing such attire now but the driving cause behind it in middle eastern world (and remeber people not everyone in the middle east/ egypt etc are muslim infact tons of them are not but still wear similar attire, you have sikh's you have buddists you have tribal religons, you have hindu's all of these wear the outfits which are best suited to there climate for non religous purposes) was the suitability of the clothing for the climate and terrain.

edit on 8-12-2011 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I might have found a little something of interest:

Note 1 (Quran Ref: 74:1 )
The expression muddaththir (an abbreviated form of mutadaththir) signifies "one who is covered [with something]" or "enfolded [in something]"; and all philologists point out that the verb dathara, from which the above participial noun is derived, may equally well have a concrete or abstract connotation. Most of the commentators understand the phrase "O thou enfolded one" in its literal, concrete sense, and assume that it refers to the Prophet’s habit of covering himself with a cloak or blanket when he felt that a revelation was about to begin. Razi, however, notes that this apostrophe may well have been used metaphorically, as an allusion to Muhammad's intense desire for solitude before the beginning of his prophetic mission (cf. introductory note to surah 96): and this, according to Razi, would explain his being thus addressed in connection with the subsequent call, "Arise and warn" - i.e., "Give now up thy solitude, and stand up before all the world as a preacher and warner."(Quran Ref: 74:1 )

www.islamicity.com...

My best guess? Muslims do it because Muhammad did it.

really?

when Gabriel the angle came to Mohammad to give him the first verses of Quran and tell him that he is the prophet of Allah, Mohammad was scared to death, he came back to his house and told his wife Khadejah to Cover him with a blanket saying "Daththeruni" because he was chilling, Allah later on called Mohammad Al Muddathther, a figure of speech, the covered, Allah is saying to Mohammad: "get up leave your bed and start preaching", how is this related to some Arabs wearing a traditional custom?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
It is not only "religion" by itself. Other than all three Abrahamic faiths commanding people to cover their genitalia.

Now, not all Arabs wear a "dress" as you call it. Those that live in cold climates (like the US or Europe) usually dress as Westerners (Islamic or not).

You could ask why Afghans wear similar "dresses" even though they also live in a colder climate. Well, it would be helpful to introduce the term "culture" instead of just religion and ethnicity.
The Afghans are mostly Muslim, which is a religion with an Arabic origin, and Arabic is the holy language. The Persians are a very different type of Muslim (Shi'ite) and they delight in their differences.

People in Indonesia (the largest Muslim country of the world by population) wear yet a third type of a mix, with some coming from their tropical traditions, and some wear European clothes. (I guess it also depends on whether you have air conditioning or not...

Pants or pairs of trousers were used by Iranians - and by ancient Western Europeans, the so-called Barbarians that came to Europe around the fall of the Roman Empire. Mostly the Germanic tribes, but I think also some Celts. All Romans and Greeks as well as many other Mediterranean folks wore togas and other loose-fitting garments at the time. They looked upon wearing "pants" as being barbaric and uncivilized.

That changed now. In most places where Western technology made a headway, Western dress was adopted.
One example was Turkey, where the revolution of Atatürk made it obligatory to adopt Western ways of dressing (except for wearing Turkish caps instead of turbans), along with adopting the Western Latin alphabet for the Turkish language, even though their culture had been for centuries the center of a strong Islamic revival.

I think these days it shows a sense of belonging in certain countries (not Egypt). Plus, we may want to keep in mind that there are a lot of Arab Christians, and even some Arab Jews...

Please correct me if I am wrong.

you are totally correct

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join