It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's War Record Should Appall Progressives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Obama's War Record Should Appall Progressives

...Progressives—who properly savaged George W. Bush for his autocratic presidency, civil-liberties flouting PATRIOT Act, undeclared war on Iraq, use of detention and torture at Guantanamo and elsewhere, and warrantless surveillance—are supposed to be happy with Barack Obama, who has essentially carried on most Bush policies, even kicking them up a few notches?

If we listen to [Jonathan] Chait, there is nothing at all disappointing about Obama’s expansion of drone attacks in Pakistan and Somalia, with their routine “collateral damage” to innocents; his flagrant violation of the War Powers Resolution (not to mention the Constitution and his campaign promise) with his intervention in Libya; his intensification of the war in Afghanistan; his sanctions (an act of war) against Iran; his broken pledge to close Guantanamo; his support of indefinite detention without charge; his policy of assassinating even American citizens abroad without due process; his renewal of the PATRIOT Act; his placement of Marines in Australia with the words, “The United States is a Pacific power, and we are here to stay”; his failed attempt to lift the UN ban on cluster bombs; or his invocation of state secrets to keep torture victims out of court.

Our sitting president had a very real chance to change the destructive policies of George Bush, Jr. But the PATRIOT Act, our occupation of Afghanistan and other ME countries, and profligate military spending, just to name a few, have been perpetuated, and in most cases escalated, by our emperor who seems to outwardly embrace Progressive values and thought, even going so far as to apparently compare himself to Teddy Roosevelt. Yet his actions speak differently.

Mr. President, if you really want to bring Hope and Change, stop murdering people and bring our troops home.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I am a lefty, and Obama's war record continues to appall me. He will be beyond my voting for him again in 2012, even if he is up against Ol' Newty or our buddy Mitt Romney (I will simply not vote) if he does not veto the NDAA.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
It's as I've been saying for quite sometime, what "change" has he brought to America? There's been no change in any of the countries problems for the better. We are even deeper in debt, countries in the middle east hate us more than they did, and our president keeps stepping on the toes of the peoples rights all over the place.

But then there are some people who say "he's done the best with what he was given", I implore those people to explain WHAT he has done that's made things so much better other than make hollow promises?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
He thinks he is following in the footsteps of Teddy Roosevelt (why anyone would want to, I can't fathom). But he is more closely following in the footsteps of TR's cousin, FDR, a progressive that stuck us in the most costly war in the history of humans on planet Earth.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

It's rather amazing that Obama still manages to send tingles up the legs of the Progressives. However, I think he is able to offset their ire with his radical and constitutional shredding domestic policy and litany of executive orders. For that one reason alone, they are able to look the other way on his war record. No outrage at all. Barely even a blink at his deployment of 100 or so US troops in Uganda to kill or capture the head of the LRA.

One thing you must remember about the die hard progressive bunch. They are the "ends justify the means" crowd and Obama is also a scholar of that mindset, so is Hillary Clinton and their ring leader Soros. Military action in one form or another is just another wrench in the progressive toolbox.

The Obama Doctrine that was first unveiled with our actions against Libya is directly guided by the Responsibility to Protect Group which has full support of the UN. They are further guided and were established by the International Crisis Group who essentially targets "crisis" nations for the Responsiblity Group to advance military intervention. Both groups are rooted in a progressive ideology.

www.responsibilitytoprotect.org...

Pressure from the International Crisis Groups has resulted in our troops in Uganda.

www.crisisgroup.org...

The ICG is full of a whose who of the left. Key members of its board of trustees include George Soros, Sandy Berger, Kofi Annan,Javier Solana, etc etc.
www.discoverthenetworks.org...

edit on 8-12-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

top topics

join