It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official : US giving 400 tanks to Greece for free

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yeah I'm sure it'll be put to good use... NOT.

Greece examining 'free' US tank offer: army

Cash-strapped Greece is considering a free offer of hundreds of redundant M1A1 Abrams tanks extended by the US government, the Greek army said on Wednesday.

"This is a free offer," army spokesman Yiannis Sifakis told AFP.

"A delegation of officers has travelled to the United States to examine tanks in storage; we are departing on the premise of picking 400 of them," he said.

Since Greece doesn't have any ``real`` enemy (apart from Turkey but come on) this doesn't make sense unless they want to use the tanks against protesters or are planning to do a war in Europe.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Isn't this nice of us. We are broke and we are just giving weapons that was paid for by the tax payer away. The American people are the dumbest people on earth. We bailout wall street we give away millions of dollars worth of weapons and what do we get in return. Nothing

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

we get less than nothing.

We dont even get a lube or a reach around, not even a little kiss and a thank you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Isn't this nice of us. We are broke and we are just giving weapons that was paid for by the tax payer away. The American people are the dumbest people on earth. We bailout wall street we give away millions of dollars worth of weapons and what do we get in return. Nothing

Remember that the US is a corporation a factory. And you are just a employee, The owners can do what they like with the item you produce for them. You get payed and they get their item.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
but spare parts are $10,000 a bolt and $25,000 for an oil filter. americans may be ignorant, loud and arrogant, but they're not stupid.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
They can use the tanks to break down the doors of the banks that they're creating a run on.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well they did have threats of being taken over with tanks in the streets because of the EU crashing.

newsok.com...

Finnish lawmaker suspended over Greece remarks

Published: September 15, 2011

HELSINKI (AP) — A Finnish opposition lawmaker has been suspended from his party's parliamentary group for suggesting that the Greek financial crisis should be solved with tanks.

Jussi Halla-aho from the Finns party — formerly known as the True Finns — was suspended for two weeks because of the inflammatory remarks he posted on Facebook .

In those comments, Halla-aho said a military junta was needed...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

i have no idea why they are giving them the tanks, but the first thing that went through my mind was to help squash the protests there.

it may not be the case, but it is certainly something that comes to mind if you do not want greece to exit the euro, and do not want the euro to collapse. if the greek protesters had their way then maybe greece would exit the euro, and from there it may cause other problems.

but again this may not be the case.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
These tanks have DU in them and would have cost the US a lot of money to scrap.

Cheaper to give them away so that they will be someone else's problem

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The M1A1 Abrams is not redundant. It can pound the sh*t out of just about anything it aims it's muzzle at. The draw back is it's so damned heavy that it eats fuel like a fat person eats McDonald's cheeseburgers (i should know i'm one of those fat people) and you practically have to follow a group of them around the battlefield with a refuel tanker that makes a nice target for air support.

Greece isn't going to be taking those into any oversea battle, those are probably meant for defense of their mainland with Turkey's posturing and invading helenistic airspace which pisses them off.

Next thing you know we will be giving them F-22's and A-10's once the F-135 replaces them. It's a mistake replacing the A-10 if you ask me, the Warthog is practically a flying tank and can limp home on one engine and is decently armored.

Well, tis the season to be jolly, gift wrap up all our old stuff and stick them under greece's christmas tree with a greeting card. They should have a merry christmas with all our handme down tech. If they don't want it they can just sell it, i am sure Syria would take that stuff, beats that 32 year old Russian crap they bought from Mutha Rossia.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm sure it has something to do with Turkey.

Turkey would be on the frontline of the next war however it may start. Whether its Syria and the Arabs or Israel and Iran; it will involve Turkey. But Turkeys power structure is like a house of cards and very shaky as there is intense power struggle. On top of that Turkey is Muslim and part of NATO which means they have to try harder to influence their neighbours. The Arab spring is a big game changer, and its knocking on Turkeys doors. This unpredictable epidemic of riots can hit anywhere and any time.
What I'm trying to say is that there is a chance that the NATO Turkey we now today may become Islamic Turkey tomorrow, the US and its NATO must be prepared if that happens, if Turkey is toppled or goes into civil war, what then?

It could be a secret transaction to Israel. I mean Greece is the closest 'friendly' to Israel in the region. Greece is NATO member and recently EU puppet.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
From what I could find out these are 400 out of the over 6000 first generation Abrams we used and abused then mothballed due to needing expensive retrofits to compare with the second gen ones rolling off the assembly lines.

At 5 - 6 million each to produce that is 2b - 2.4b traded for ....... nothing?

I hope they get their budget worries under control, it takes about 250k per week to keep one of these in the field, in parts replacements and fuel costs.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

They can't pound the # out of another M1 though I hear.
Apprantly those things can take a direct hit with a 120mm round at point blank.
Not sure how accurate that Is, but wouldn't like to be Inside the Tank to test It, might feel a hard bump.

edit on 7-12-2011 by Zakka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Actually Turkey, according to the article, has been apporached by Germany to upgrade their leopard tanks. The tanks being offered to Greece are from the first gulf war and are currently in storage. This looks like nothing more than Greece being helped with some upgrades and nothing more.

Its not free by the way.. If they go with the basic versions they pay for just shipping. However they can have some of the tanks refurbished / upgraded, which will incur a cost.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

If I were Greece..

Id take 400 tanks and sell them to some Eastern power for a quick buck.

Seriously though Greece doesn't even have the cash to maintain the fleet of tanks let alone someone to use them on. Tanks don't make good vehicles against protesters, snipers and .50 machine guns do. At least that's what I've learned watching the "revolutions" in the Middle East.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Since Greece doesn't have any ``real`` enemy (apart from Turkey but come on) this doesn't make sense unless they want to use the tanks against protesters or are planning to do a war in Europe.
Something that I haven't seen being discussed in relation to the Greek crisis is that Greece is the EU country with the largest percentage of their budget going to their armed forces.

They also have almost as many active military personnel as Spain (with four times as much population as Greece), and has more than 25% of all EU tanks, along with the highest number of infantry fighting vehicles and artillery units.
(Source)

I guess they just want to keep their fighting spirit up.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
They'll just hand over 400 tanks to some nation on the brink of ruin but they want to be notified if I buy a rifle for me and my son.

400 tanks sitting on the fence of ruin is no problem.

A guy with two rifles however is a dangerous situation requiring scrutiny and investigation.

At least sell the damn tanks. Arms dealers don't just give weapons away. Well, with the exception of the fed and Fast and Furious.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The guy with two rifles is on their backyard, the tanks will be many miles away.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I can't even begin to understand why they will do that.I can think of some crazy scenarios,but as i said...crazy.

a)They will give us the tanks and then accuse us of terrorism.
b)They will give the tanks for free and then ask thousands of dollars for spare parts and service.
c)With the tension between Greece and Turkey more tanks in the Greek side,might force the Turks to BUY more for themselves.
d)The will ask as a return favour from Greece to either participate in every war they starrt or use Greek land and sea for their operations.

I don't know,if you ask me it's kind of weird and i am sure that it won't be as free as it is advertised.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
from what i hear on the grapevine... this is a tactic done by a drug pusher... they give free hits of the habit forming drug
because they know the person that got 'gifted' will become a steady customer

these 'free' tanks, are following the same paradigm...the Greek Generals will suddenly need munitions, fuel, and replacement parts after the wear-&-tear from use as non-lethal population control

or maybe from a possible military coup against the big-bankers that will soon be running the Greek government pretty soon

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join