It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EVERYONE Should Be Scared of This! EMP!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Let's see... woodstove, firewood, axe...check.

Push plow, horses, pigs, goats and goat's milk. chickens and eggs...check.

Heirloom seeds, canning jars, lids, rings, butcher knives... check.

Mini-14s, lots of ammo, shotguns, ammo, pistols, ammo...check.

Shallow well...lake...fish.. deer...rabbit...squirrel...candles, oil lamp, matches, harmonica and old song book...

OK...I'm ready.

Use caution..some crazy Christian is going to try and eat your pig...despite the threads against it!

Your absolutely right though...well prepared...without anything more than we had a hundred years ago...imagine that!

We all should be ready...taking hint's from this!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by camaro68ss
And yes your computer will blow! with 50,000 volts per sq meter at high amps from the EMP, its history, your car, gone! your metal box idea will do nothing unless its completely inclosed and grounded with no holes in the "box"

Sorry, you're just wrong. Plain and simple. A metal container doesn't have to completely enclose a circuit in order to protect it. All it has to do is provide a reasonable conduit to guide the magnetic field around the conductive material inside. You have an extremely poor understanding of electromagnetism, which I guess makes you gullible and likely believe scary scenarios such as those suggested above.

NO, YOUR WRONG! What good is a metal container if its not insulated and grounded properly. any resistance from the object to the ground will short the object not grounded properly.

This is how you build a proper Faraday cage, your going to tell me your car and computer will hold up after all the work you need to do just to make a "proper" cage

www.ehow.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
reply to post by camaro68ss

With all due respect to your uncle, I have a hard time swallowing that 95% of are military is soft against an emp attack. As for our infrastructure, Cooked. Done. Fin. Great visual to boot Maro.

Also, if you have yet to read One Second After, pic it up. Ok read but gives a grim reality on such an attack.

A lot of the military equipment is not shielded against EMP. You can say good by to all the jets, at least the once above ground. Airports will shot down and so will the radars controlling airspace. Fuels truck wont be able to fuel military hardware. Many of the bombs with electronic timers, pressure sensors and GPS guided weapons will be deemed useless.

You can say good by to maintenance and production of high tech equipment. The raptor and B2 is out of business

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

and you know this how?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I can see where the pulse would be just a catalyst to set other things in motion.

I think you would be very surprised just how quickly any problems caused by an EMP would be fixed, and how quickly people would adjust. This isn't a problem that cascades. This is a thing where the worst it gets is right at the moment it happens, and then we start recovering. And that would be very fast.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

With all due respect to your uncle, I have a hard time swallowing that 95% of are military is soft against an emp attack. As for our infrastructure, Cooked. Done. Fin. Great visual to boot Maro.

Also, if you have yet to read One Second After, pic it up. Ok read but gives a grim reality on such an attack.

A lot of the military equipment is not shielded against EMP. You can say good by to all the jets, at least the once above ground. Airports will shot down and so will the radars controlling airspace. Fuels truck wont be able to fuel military hardware. Many of the bombs with electronic timers, pressure sensors and GPS guided weapons will be deemed useless.

You can say good by to maintenance and production of high tech equipment. The raptor and B2 is out of business

and you know this how?

And you know there pretected how......

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

NO, YOUR WRONG! What good is a metal container if its not insulated and grounded properly. any resistance from the object to the ground will short the object not grounded properly.

Look at the plug on your computer. See that little round thing. That's a ground. That's proper grounding.

This is how you build a proper Faraday cage, your going to tell me your car and computer will hold up after all the work you need to do just to make a "proper" cage

Not everything needs to be in a perfect Faraday cage because you're not trying to shield every little bit of EMF from the wires. The heavy EMF (not that it will be that heavy since it follows the inverse square law of field strength), will be deflected. You're not getting it, either. Do more research.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I can see where the pulse would be just a catalyst to set other things in motion.

I think you would be very surprised just how quickly any problems caused by an EMP would be fixed, and how quickly people would adjust. This isn't a problem that cascades. This is a thing where the worst it gets is right at the moment it happens, and then we start recovering. And that would be very fast.

you have a very poor knowledge of an EMP attack. things will not recover fast. Every electronic unit will be worthless.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Use caution..some crazy Christian is going to try and eat your pig...despite the threads against it!

Radiation is a wonderful way to make a pig suitable for eating, and it will keep for a long time afterwards, too!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

and you know this how?

By reading up on the subject. I had a big interest in this a few years ago, when Iran was working on a firing mechanism that could be used to set of a high altitude EMP blast.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Radiation is a wonderful way to make a pig suitable for eating, and it will keep for a long time afterwards, too!

I'll just take your word for that...sounds bad though when you put it that way!

What do you plan on eating?

Coffee shops will probably close too...so no espressos either!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Look at the plug on your computer. See that little round thing. That's a ground. That's proper grounding.

Not everything needs to be in a perfect Faraday cage because you're not trying to shield every little bit of EMF from the wires. The heavy EMF (not that it will be that heavy since it follows the inverse square law of field strength), will be deflected. You're not getting it, either. Do more research.

DUDE, You have no completion of electronics! that ground is based off the Electrical circuit of the computer made for 120 volts. Its not made to have electricity at 50,000 volts hit it from any other way then from coming out of the wall and completing the circuit it was built for.

Same as your car. Your car is based off a circuit coming from a battery and its grounded to the frame of the car. When the EMP hits the car the 50,000 volts will travel through the car, through the grounding cable and blow all your electronics.

Stop talking like you know what your saying because you dont!

edit on 7-12-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
um, why would the EMP radius be larger the higher altitude that the blast occurs? EMP's aren't nukes...there's no fallout from EMPs. it's a direct blast that goes through most solid material as fast as it does gaseous material. The higher up it is, the less of a radius there'd be.

Um...Uh ... no, its an ever expanding wave front (sphere) of electromagnetic energy emanating from a point source ( the bomb). like a light on a tower the higher up it is the farther away it can be seen.(Taking into account the curvature of the earth) And the higher up the detonation is; the longer the radius. Ground level up to the "center point" ( the device).
edit on 7-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I like a hot shower as much as the next guy... but it would not be a terribly unpleasant existence living like our grand parents or great grand parents. Too often, people associate survival as being "Ramboesque"... and those skills will be valuable, but so will being able to start a fire, cook, clean, grow a garden or food... and the shear daily toil of living like that.

Everyday starts with fire and firewood... and bringing in water. Think about it... two of the most important elements needed, fire and water. And each day has a role or purpose... a wash day, a day or two for hunting and gathering, a wood cutting day... and all of these are built around the weather... not to mention dependence on maximizing each season. In spring, if you plant too early, frost will kill your seedlings and tender plants... plant too late and they fall prey to hot dry summers before they are established. Not to mention that you literally rise and set with the sun. And nothing is ever, ever wasted... never.

I know because I lived in a cabin with no running water for 3 years. Heated and cooked on a wood stove and used an out house that i built myself. cut and burned my own firewood, took baths outside... one time it was so cold, the suds on my head froze before I rinsed.

It was a good and cheap way to live and I saved a bunch of money, but it was hard at times too. The hardest part was the cold... I used to enjoy winters, but after that, I really do not like cold... I suggest all of you live like that if given a chance...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

DUDE, You have no completion of electronics! that ground is based off the Electrical circuit of the computer. Its not made to have electricity at 50,000 volts hit it from any other way then from coming out of the wall and completing the circuit it was built for.

Same as your car. Your car is based off a circuit coming from a battery and its grounded to the frame of the car. When the EMP hits the car the 50,000 volts will travel through the car, through the grounding cable and blow all your electronics.

I have to ask as curiosity is the killer...

My understanding of electricity and voltage...means we have to consider amperage...50,000 volts passed through the body at .05 amps is nothing...not even a buzz...so shouldn't there be some amperage considered here?

Or is that not a factor?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

DUDE, You have no completion of electronics! that ground is based off the Electrical circuit of the computer. Its not made to have electricity at 50,000 volts hit it from any other way then from coming out of the wall and completing the circuit it was built for.

My understanding of electricity and voltage...means we have to consider amperage...50,000 volts passed through the body at .05 amps is nothing...not even a buzz...so shouldn't there be some amperage considered here?

Or is that not a factor?

I dont know the amps of an EMP but i do know its a few, lets even say 1 or 2 amps, still it will fry everything. It happens so hard and fast its overloads your circuit brakers and they blow. Your appliances are only made for 120 volt. and those are getting hit with 50,000 volts at a few amps.

Blue Shift talking about a plug grounds for 120 volts is not going to do **** to stop the EMP when 50,000 volts runs through it

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
reply to post by jerryznv

I like a hot shower as much as the next guy... but it would not be a terribly unpleasant existence living like our grand parents or great grand parents. Too often, people associate survival as being "Ramboesque"... and those skills will be valuable, but so will being able to start a fire, cook, clean, grow a garden or food... and the shear daily toil of living like that.

Everyday starts with fire and firewood... and bringing in water. Think about it... two of the most important elements needed, fire and water. And each day has a role or purpose... a wash day, a day or two for hunting and gathering, a wood cutting day... and all of these are built around the weather... not to mention dependence on maximizing each season. In spring, if you plant too early, frost will kill your seedlings and tender plants... plant too late and they fall prey to hot dry summers before they are established. Not to mention that you literally rise and set with the sun. And nothing is ever, ever wasted... never.

I know because I lived in a cabin with no running water for 3 years. Heated and cooked on a wood stove and used an out house that i built myself. cut and burned my own firewood, took baths outside... one time it was so cold, the suds on my head froze before I rinsed.

It was a good and cheap way to live and I saved a bunch of money, but it was hard at times too. The hardest part was the cold... I used to enjoy winters, but after that, I really do not like cold... I suggest all of you live like that if given a chance...

Wow...what an experience I am sure...might I share my own?

I grew up on a ranch in central Nevada that was without running water or power until I was sixteen years old!

We used the fire place for heat and oil lamps for lighting. Water came from a well in buckets to the house.

Phones finally were put in around 1985...and without electricity...everything was wired into a generator that ran for about an hour a day.

Life was simple but everything meant something...everything had value...not so today!

My sisters probably could share stories that would make most women (young ladies anyway) shake with fear about how privative we were...but we were a happy family...without worry of the things that plague society today!

I have tried it...I suppose...and I would gladly take it back...more now than ever!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Lets hope it never comes to this, it would be the end game. Lets hope we get picked up by the beam ships before any EMP blasts. Or hopefully some of the good ets takes out that missile before it did that damage.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Or is that not a factor?

I dont know the amps of an EMP but i do know its a few, lets even say 1 or 2 amps, still it will fry everything. It happens so hard and fast its overloads your circuit brakers and they blow. Your appliances are only made for 120 volt. and those are getting hit with 50,000 volts at a few amps.

Blue Shift talking about a plug grounds for 120 volts is not going to do **** to stop the EMP when 50,000 volts runs through it

I only ask because I would challenge you to find anything in your home that is on a 5 amp breaker or less...voltage means little to shutting down an electrical system from overload...amperage on the other hand might mean all the difference.

According to EASA...half of an amp is enough to cause mortality...but in a system with 13 or 14 gauge wire (such as a home) half an amp is almost undetectable...voltage sure..test it all day long...but amps...not so much!

Just curious...thanks for the reply though...EMP's are not anything I know anything about!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

50 000 v is old school from the 1960s. To day there exists super EMP weapons that can produce a lot more voltage. By so called second and third generation weapons.

Russia is also a lot further than the US within this field of study.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
An EMP attack is a very scary scenario. As ArcAngel suggest several posts back you'll need to read "One Second After" by William Forstchen to grasp what would happen in and around your town or city. It won't just be the attacking nation you'll be concerned with.

2 day for the stores to be completely pick clean. No running water. No readily available food. No more prescription medications for anyone. Prisons most likely will get released right along with hospitals and rest homes. Who's gonna stay and run these facilities? Your once friendly neighbor who always threw up a hand and yelled "What's going on?" will soon be kicking in your door for what little food you have left. Every addict will be coming down all at once and looking for your meds to ease their pain. Not a good thought.

The book claims that there was a congressional meeting held that said about 90 percent of the population would perish if an EMP were to happen. How true this is I'm not sure, but I can see how it could be.
How many of your friends and family can support themselves fully if needed? You can plant a garden sure, but it has to have time to grow and you have to keep everyone else from stealing it as it grows. I guess you would have to gather in small groups. I say small because you have to be able to feed everyone sufficiently. The book even goes into how much food would be needed not only for sustenance but also to be able to move around and not be to weak to work.

Told you it was scary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join