It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts stumped by ancient Jerusalem markings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

JERUSALEM (AP) — Mysterious stone carvings made thousands of years ago and recently uncovered in an excavation underneath Jerusalem have archaeologists stumped.

Israeli diggers who uncovered a complex of rooms carved into the bedrock in the oldest section of the city recently found the markings: Three "V'' shapes cut next to each other into the limestone floor of one of the rooms, about 2 inches (5 centimeters) deep and 20 inches (50 centimeters) long. There were no finds to offer any clues pointing to the identity of who made them or what purpose they served.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
abcnews.go.com
www.google.com
www.salon.com

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
According to this article, these carvings are over 2,800 years old. On top of that, no scientist or researcher has a clue to what these symbols/carvings mean. This truly intrigues me as does the whole city of Jerusalem. I still think there is much to be found there we just have to keep looking. Sorry if this has been posted before but I used the search bar and didn't find a hit.

Kind Regards,
TokyoDynamite

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Dont know where it went, but yes it was here earlier today

link   
could mean "pyramids" looks like 2 standing upright and the mddle one is upside down, maybe a clue to look under the middle pyramid for more answers.

link   
I love a good mystery.

This is really news to me.

Carvings that old raise many questions.

The first thing I thought of was 'grooves' for holding some kind of upright structure....

I know many will have better guesses than that!

Good find!

edit on 7-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
or the 2 upright triangles look like they have a cap on tehm, almost like mountains, the upside down one does not. could be an arrow pointing to the valley between 2 mountains, possibly where the Ark of the covenant is?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I remember reading speculations on their intended purpose. (they) seem to think it's part of the structure to support a roof. That idea seems fairly simple and logical. However, I looked at the picture of the find and it doesn't seem as likely anymore. First off, it looks like it would be incredibly inconvenient to have supporting columns arranged like that. Second, why would they need to have V shapes arranged like that when a post hole type indention would serve a similar purpose and be conceivably easier to do. I'll leave it up to archaeologists to give the final say, but it's interesting that they don't seem to know.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To me, those don't look like they are symbols or anything. They look like they served some mechanical function.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tokyodynamite
Sorry if this has been posted before but I used the search bar and didn't find a hit.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Typical! Newfags can't triforce don't they know?

This really is weird though, I love stuff like this because it's like a few workers F'd up then tried to implement it into the design. Or when there's a scratch in something old and it was accidental Archaeologists say "Well we believe it was for...." while their brains thinking GOOD! MORE MONEY FOR THE DIG!!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I love a good mystery.

This is really news to me.

Carvings that old raise many questions.

The first thing I thought of was 'grooves' for holding some kind of upright structure....

I know many will have better guesses that that!

Good find!

That was exactly my first thought too, and it was mentioned in the article as one of the explanations =)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tokyodynamite

Those appear to not markings per say, but funtional. For instance molds for pouring liquid metal
into. Could also be to hold the alignment of a working structure in place. Such as to keep a primitive machine
from moving around during usage. Just my 2 cents. Interesting find.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yes, this is indeed interesting!

The thing is, scientist "claim" to be puzzled when they find things that seem out of place for a particular time period.

They know that there was advanced technology, displayed by advanced beings here on Earth a long,, long time ago.

Most scientists (and the religious) do not not want to explore the fact that we are not the highest form of intelligence in the universe.

Ancient Aliens is speaking for itself.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by K1771gnorance
To me, those don't look like they are symbols or anything. They look like they served some mechanical function.

Originally posted by Wildmanimal

Those appear to not markings per say, but funtional. For instance molds for pouring liquid metal
into. Could also be to hold the alignment of a working structure in place. Such as to keep a primitive machine
from moving around during usage.

I agree with both of you...

these we likely slots for a statue or other symbolic figure to be placed in... the placement was vital...or else there would not be a need for slots to make the precise placement a done deal

a smooth floor would be acceptable for placing candlesticks
a mosaic floor would be more a device to serve as something estetic or symbolic

a slotted base would suggest placing a device(s) that needs to be aligned with one another
on the Annual Solar event or the monthly Lunar occasion....whatever one might do in a ancient 'panic room'

edit on 7-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
There's no way any structure inserted in those grooves would be load bearing and supportive of any heavy structure, far too shallow. There could be ornamental kind of shuttering rising up, perhaps to confuse like in a maze, or to conceal. We can't see the height of the roof, and likely even, ornamental shuttering would not support itself to the roof height. What does come to mind though is a simple low table support for religious observation, and the V upright could support near any shape above. The V configuration may itself have some significance.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The V configuration looks more like an "A" due to the pronounced triangle indentation evident from this angle. Not sure if that means anything...

join