It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncle Sam Expects YOU to Keep Chickens and Raise Hens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
its illegal in denver to own them.
second line.

Isn't it just in Denver proper that it is illegal? What about the suburbs like say Thornton,Broomfield, Aurora, Lakewood, ect..? I know up here in Loveland they are legal to own in town even!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Most of the population lives in an urban area. Where in God's name am I supposed to keep chickens when I live in an apartment complex? Magically come up with 10k and buy some land?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Most of the population lives in an urban area. Where in God's name am I supposed to keep chickens when I live in an apartment complex? Magically come up with 10k and buy some land?

How urban is the apartment building? Do you have any bit of yard or grass to work with? I noticed a small house downtown in my town that the people living there had built a chicken coop and it is actually right next to their driveway. They don't have any real land to speak of, these homes are older homes that were built in the 40s-50s so they are small and narrow lots. They have just enough space for the actual coop. It caught me off guard to see it, but it seems to work for them. I guess I could see if you lived in a very urban area in a big city where you have zero outdoor space to work with that it would be near impossible. But hell to be fair even way back when it was normal for people to keep their own chickens and such, it still would have never happened in places like New York City or highly urban cities like it. At least I can't imagine how it would.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I totally agree!

Not to mention one Cow would be milk for a family. But don't even go there you can't drink raw milk...I always wanted to own my own land and have my chickens, cows, pigs, and crops, but just try without jumping through literal hoops!!!
edit on 10-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: to pluralize

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by Starwise

I totally agree!

Not to mention one Cow would be milk for a family. But don't even go there you can't drink raw milk...I always wanted to own my own land and have my chickens, cows, pigs, and crops, but just try without jumping through literal hoops!!!
edit on 10-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: to pluralize

If you own the cow you could drink the raw milk, you just can't buy or sell it. I found a thing where you could even buy into a share of a cow and then you had a share of the raw milk!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Yeah, yeah I do. But seeing as how it's the apartment complex's property, I don't know how they (or my neighbors) would feel about it. But probably not good. Now, if there's a nation push for this or it's part of some war effort, then yeah I could see it working out.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Its easy to pasteurize if you wanted too. I have some friends with some goats that they milk twice a day, and they get about 1/2 gallon. I personally have never tried goat milk but I know there are some tricks to making it sweet...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I understand how it can be very frustrating if you don't have the land or resources. I feel as though I have been led to where I am today just so I could start to prepare for an eventual time of hardship......I feel bad for people who live in cities and are so far away from nature. I come from the city, and miss certain things, but once you go country, you never wanna go back!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
reply to post by MaMaa

Its easy to pasteurize if you wanted too. I have some friends with some goats that they milk twice a day, and they get about 1/2 gallon. I personally have never tried goat milk but I know there are some tricks to making it sweet...

How do you pasteurize then?

Is it by warming it up for a few hours?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
I've traded city living for country living for the foreseeable future. My pop and I built a nice big walk-in coop with roosts and bought chickens at trade day.

But some predator was literally pulling them to pieces through the chicken wire! We have fox, coyote, and coons around here and I'm guessing weasels too from the bloody utter chicken armageddon done that day.

The once proud coop is growing grass inside it and even a year later there are stray chicken feathers about. Them advertising cows from Chick-fil-A don't know real terror.

Any advice? I want some chickens.

I have mine in a packing crate, that is lifted off the ground with besa blocks and a lockable lid and door. It doesn't take them long to get in the habit of going in there at night. We get foxes and feral cats around our area, and once, when we got the first lot of chooks, a fox took one and killed the rest (to silence them). I also put a thin layer of concrete in the base of the crate to stop predators from digging through. The biggest hassle for the chooks now are the magpies that try to get into their coup for the food, but the dogs do a good job of keeping them at bay.
The crate is about 1.5m wide, 900mm high, and about the same deep, and is filled with hay, That is sufficient to hold 5 or so chooks comfortably.
Hope this helps a bit

top topics

<< 1   >>

join