It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama farmers look to replace migrants with prisoners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

“The suggestion to use prisoners who are eligible for work release programs was made as a way to help farmers fill the gap and find sufficient labor,” said Amy Belcher. A statement by the department said the meeting with the farmers was convened “to help solve the chronic labor shortages created by Alabama’s new immigration law.”

I have to say that I am a little confused here. On one hand they are saying they want to use prisoners in early release work programs but then go on to say:

Known as HB56, the new law requires local police to verify the immigration status of anyone they have a “reasonable suspicion” of being in the country illegally.

What is “reasonable suspicion”? Who will say what the guidelines are for people being stopped in the streets and ordered to prove their citizenship? Skin color? Language? Clothing?

My suspicion is that these illegals will end up in jail (indefinitely?) awaiting deportation and put to work in the fields while awaiting deportation. Crazy theory? Maybe. But then again, it's getting crazier by the day out there.

But the law touched off an exodus of mainly Hispanic workers who moved to other states because of fears of being deported, prompting complaints by farm and construction industry groups of a shortage of workers in one of the poorest US states.

So it's ok to complain about those illegals...until it affects your pocket book?

So which is it? Prisoners or illegals?...Both?

Peace

edit on 7-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm sure they would love to have some indentured servants to work those fields...brings back all those warm and fuzzy memories from the Ol' South.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuminousCosmos
I'm sure they would love to have some indentured servants to work those fields...brings back all those warm and fuzzy memories from the Ol' South.

Maybe use some of the suspected terrorists with Ron Paul bumper stickers as field hands? If they can be held indefinitely...that's some cheap labor.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Anyone and everyone that goes against the grain, I reckon'. Ya'll git on o'er there and pick that there cotton! I saw you smoking that waky to-bac-ie. Dang nabbit hippies!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is being done on a small scale here in AZ. The AZ Department of Corrections will send inmates to small county fairgrounds to do clean-up and other duties. Since these guys literally earn less than a dollar an hour, the savings are great for the county seat.

I have always believed that agriculture and residential construction could follow suit and fill non-journeyman/apprentice positions with inmates.

The system works, and I am interested in seeing how things pan out in Alabama.

I am for anything that will end this illegal immigrant problem as cheaply as possible.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I was a community corrections officer and work release supervisor here in Alabama for awhile. I sure could of used this then! Hard to get the guys/girls jobs and they just sit there until they do.

Most of 'em would work toothbrushing septic tanks to get out and build up some money for fines and their freedom date.

My take on illegal immigration in Alabama? My case load included about 35% Hispanic folk most of whom were illegal but had some form of either Fake I.D. or I.D. belonging to someone else.

We were NEVER allowed to take the time and utilize resources to either determine their real identity and/or prior arrests. I guess it would cost too much

They were put on a "probation" type program and as long as they reported when due and payed their fines they were good to go. We generally knew they were illegal and that their paperwork was fraudulent in most cases.

I love me some Hispanics. And, of course, most Hispanics aren't criminally inclined.

My Hispanic clients, however, were for the most part easy to supervise and friendly, but it did bother me that American citizens were more closely supervised and didn't have the 'luxury' of escaping their priors the way an illegal did and generally had to pay more $$$ over the course of their time in the system.

My experience doesn't speak to the sticky questions of the larger issue, but it does speak about the depth of the issue here.

I don't think this problem is as cut & dried as it might appear.

top topics

join