It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Why did they come up with the following" Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What I want to know DIFFERENTLY is why did they come up with EACH SINGLE ONE of the following...

-Purgatory
-Limbo
-Hell
-Heaven
-Paradise

They are each seperate.

Bing or google for definitions.

I also want to know which did they come up with from first to last. Like, which is oldest come to light and which is youngest come to light.

edit on 7-12-2011 by WarJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

purgatory is latin meaning 'way of cleansing'from the 12th century.
limbo is latin for 'on the edge' of hell reserved for saints in waiting and unbaptized infants.
hell comes from old english hellfyre,which the norse referred to their underworld.
heaven is simply a refference to 'the heavens' or the stars where the Gods decended from.
paradise from old french,latin,greek and persian simply means park or enclosure.
12th century roman catholics related it to edan. in old english it meant hunting park,or arena.
NOW YOU KNOW!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

What most consider hell is actually a garbage dump just outside of Jerusalam... meaning the place of fire and torture does not exist in biblical terms...

Heaven is a word for the afterlife... the place we all return to once we pass...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Limbo apparently once existed, but the Catholic Church recently decided to drop it as a doctrine. At that very moment, a vast place full of unbaptised babies went "poof!"

Don't you think that was rather low of the Catholics?
edit on 7-12-2011 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by WarJohn

What most consider hell is actually a garbage dump just outside of Jerusalam... meaning the place of fire and torture does not exist in biblical terms...

Heaven is a word for the afterlife... the place we all return to once we pass...

Some people might think you are being sarcastic about the dump site so I wanted to clarify for others that what you say is literally true. "Gehenna" is an actual physical location and it's the word that many translate into "hell" in the bible.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

My friend, i rarely joke around when it comes to scriptural matters...

Gehenna

edit on 7-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
"Hell" generally, not always, means "the grave." "Hell" can also be a verb, meaning "to bury something."

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
"Hell" generally, not always, means "the grave." "Hell" can also be a verb, meaning "to bury something."

Incorrect... In bibical terms Hell is a place where they tossed dead bodies... Usually there was fire and sulpher within the mass of garbage to destroy the infectious material...

Christ used the term hell because it was the lowest ideal he could comunicate understanding of in the physical realm...

The first will be the last, and the last will be first...

29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

30But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

edit on 7-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Incorrect? I think we agree perfectly on hell.

Verses 29 & 30? Of what chapter? What book??

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Those verses arn't really about hell... more about the selfish in life comming last... and the selfless first...

Where is hell discribed as "the grave"? Or used as a verb?

It was a specific place...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

-Purgatory -- Created by the catholic church to SELL tickets to get out of hell free. (true story, look it up)
-Limbo -- Created for the same reason above ↑ They are the same thing.
-Hell -- God created this for the Devil and his angels. If you end up in hell, you were not invited.
-Heaven -- There are three of them. God needs a home too you know.
-Paradise -- Right beside Hell in the center of the earth. Was a holding ground for unclean Saints in the Old Testament who were waiting to be redeemed. When Jesus went to Hell he brought these guys/gals out with Him. His blood cleaned them whereas animal blood could not.
edit on 8-12-2011 by KJV1611 because: i can

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

wow good one. but Jesus did describe something very real and literal.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

reply to post by Akragon

Those verses arn't really about hell... more about the selfish in life comming last... and the selfless first...

Where is hell discribed as "the grave"? Or used as a verb?

It was a specific place...

OK, I could be wrong, and often am, BUT I believe that "the grave" is the best candidate word for "hell" in the Bible in most places, that is, if you keep an eye on the context.

As a verb, it is a bit obsolete, but look it up in your OED - you do have one, right? "Helling" the tunips, the potatoes, the apples, etc. used to be a common practice. In short, you BURIED the fruits and/or veggies in the ground, in a sort of grave. Get it?!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Somewhere in the archives of the "Conspiracies in Religion" forum there is a thread with the provocative title "All you Christians are going to HELL", or something like that.
I think there was a long discussion of the meaning of the Hebrew words.

PS I probably mean this one;
Hell thread
edit on 9-12-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Here is something strange: before the protestant reformation people believed in these things. However, people would have revolted if any of the doctrines were brand new. People did not revolt until after the Church was accused of corruption. What could that possibly mean?
edit on 9-12-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I think the growth of these beliefs would have been gradual, so they would not have been recognised as brand-new until somebody made a point of looking back.
And I suspect that these beliefs were popular opinion imposing itself on the church, rather than, or at least as much as, the other way round.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by 547000

I think the growth of these beliefs would have been gradual, so they would not have been recognised as brand-new until somebody made a point of looking back.
And I suspect that these beliefs were popular opinion imposing itself on the church, rather than, or at least as much as, the other way round.

But early church fathers believed it too: www.scripturecatholic.com...

new topics

top topics

join