It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Library of Congress to Receive Entire Twitter Archive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Daily Caller

The Library of Congress and Twitter have signed an agreement that will see an archive of every public Tweet ever sent handed over to the library’s repository of historical documents.

I don't get it. WHY? Tweets are ... well ... pretty useless in general. Why does everyone's tweet need to be archived like that? Are 'they' building a place to dig up info on people, or are they just wasting time and finding useless work for people to do ... or both?

This is freak'n strange.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
seem perfect , fit well into a Big Brother concept.

"guys, why dont we start to archive all tweets , so that way we can keep an history over internet-citizens"

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Does this mean we are all "published"?

Seriously ... yeah ... this seems pretty stupid. Surely the Library of Congress has better things to do ... right?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I suppose it would be like a huge public diary .. and if you get in trouble (or if 'they' claim you get in trouble) they can use your own words to build something against you. Right? And I'm thinking the same could be done here ... take what people have said over the years and build a data base of info to use against you ...

Post 'too much' that you like Ron Paul while Obama or Newt is in office .. you are a subversive.
Post 'too much' that you like OWS .. you are a subversive or a potential terrorist.
Post 'too much' that you don't like OWS .. you are against free speech or are a facist.

"They" could build a file against anyone who tweets or uses facebook (or posts here for that matter). It wouldn't be something that was hard evidence, but lawyers could sure make it seem to be ... and sway a jury ...

I'm just thinking this is very strange, unless there really is something nafarious being done with them.
Otherwise ... why bother?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hah...and this is exactly why I never 'tweeted'.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt if they have a spot for all texted cell phone messages, too.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Hah...and this is exactly why I never 'tweeted'.

I have an account and I tried it .. like 5 times ... but honestly it's really dumb. You can only tweet short little things and the things I've seen people tweet are just random whatever stuff ... like ... "drinking a coke and watching the game" .. Like - who cares, ya' know?

So the Library of Congress is going to be full of information about people tweeting .. 'my cat caught a bird' or 'cooking spaghetti tonight' or ______. Strange.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You may find this webpage interesting and insightful:
www.economist.com...

But the idea that language has a terrible power over the brain, and can be easily manipulated by the powerful, is in no way limited to a lunatic fringe.

It may mean the deceived don't know the language well enough to see through the smokescreens, in which case reading Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" may provide a defence, up to a point.

If they can identify certain words that are used in short phrases that appeal to people, they can use this in government speeches and commercials to hold people's attention or sway their opinion. Seeing as people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter, this kind of information would be quite useful.

edit on 7-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join