It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned Houses a solution for the Homeless.[WTB]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
In the town where I live there are many abandoned houses as old people died ,and no one claim those houses.
I ask the mayor but he said that the law it's very clear and no one could get in the possession of an abandoned house.
In the same time there are millions of people on this planet that are homeless,and nobody is interested in their faith!

Textchildren facts — There are an estimated 100 million children living in the streets in the world today. Children living on the streets are especially vulnerable to victimization, exploitation, and the abuse of their civil and economic rights. International indifference to the problem has led to continual neglect and abuse of these children.
source(www.cyc-net.org...

source(www.urlesque.com...

I think there are millions of abandoned houses around the world where homeless people could live.
Why no one let the homeless live in those houses?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I had an 1800's farm house on my farm in Kansas. I had the thing bulldozed under BECAUSE of the transients. The last thing I'd want is for them to go in there, have the thing collapse, or them start a fire and get injured or killed. They, or their family would then attempt to sue me. That's the problem with this idea. They'll go in, steal all the copper pipe and anything else they can sell, and when one of them gets hurt, someone will provide them a lawyer to sue the property owner. Bad idea.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The UK has already beaten you to it:

Weirdly enough this programme was on just yesterday:

www.channel4.com...

Thery are already doing up houses (350,000+) when there are over a million without homes

It'll take a while but its started.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
The UK has already beaten you to it:

Weirdly enough this programme was on just yesterday:

www.channel4.com...

Thery are already doing up houses (350,000+) when there are over a million without homes

It'll take a while but its started.
I am glad that someone is doing something but is not enough!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I had an 1800's farm house on my farm in Kansas. I had the thing bulldozed under BECAUSE of the transients. The last thing I'd want is for them to go in there, have the thing collapse, or them start a fire and get injured or killed. They, or their family would then attempt to sue me. That's the problem with this idea. They'll go in, steal all the copper pipe and anything else they can sell, and when one of them gets hurt, someone will provide them a lawyer to sue the property owner. Bad idea.
The law and the people are different from country to country!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Uhmmm.... I see serious problems with this.

First of all it's an abandoned house.
Not all abandoned houses are fit for human habitation.

Second who is going to handle the cost associated with making the home habitable?

Third who is going to manage the properties once the homes are habitable?

You're talking thousands of dollars in repairs, inspection reports, environmental reports, trash outs, grass cuts, title searches, legal fees, taxes, lead based paint inspections and management company fees per home.

Multiply that by several thousand homes and you're getting into the millions of dollars.

Why do you think that Freddie, Fanny and HUD have such huge budgets. They deal with this sort of thing.

Sure it's a great idea to do all of that. But it's not cheap nor easy.
edit on 7-12-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

TextOccupy Wall Street movement takes over abandoned and foreclosed homes in New York - 7th Dec 2011
source(thecomingcrisis.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

SnF for entering the contest.

However, those abandoned houses are UNFIT to live in. They have issues, such as lead based paint, poor insulation, rotting roofs, scavenged water lines, and outdated and unsafe electrical wiring. You'd have to sink thousands into making it back up to code, and would have to charge a premium for rent to re-coup your losses.

Does the government pay for that? Nope.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
In calif if you pay the taxes and move in for 5 years the state will give you title.

Its called adverse possession
wiki.answers.com...

In other states after a few years the state will have sold the property for unpaid taxes

top topics

join