It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange blue lightning over Edinburgh, UK, last night.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
OK. No picture. It didnt happen.
My mate called me 1st thing this morning, saying the sky was clear and he saw what he can only describe as blue lightning. He didnt have time to get his camera, but it was being talked about on local radio last night. I am trying to find something on it. In the meantime, did anyone see this? if you are in or around Edinburgh it was South.

Sorry for this. Frustrating. No pictures. But I will now look about and see if there is anything in any local news outlets. Maybe someone here seen it? Who knows.

Cheers
Shaun

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I saw a bright unexplained flash of localized white light on the night of the 5th around Warrington UK, No noise and nothing else.

VERY strange, considering I'm the first guy to start debunking UK related aerial phenomena around here! too high to be a flare and no aircraft in the vicinity, not lightning either as it was a clear sky.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Unexplained blue light in Edinburgh, that'll be a job centre sign.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Strange blue verticle light over south Edinburgh last night around 6 ish and 9 ish similar affect to lightning no aircraft or unusual cloud base. No noise either random and strange flight paths for airport reported clear and no visual !!!!!' was to quick to photograph heard reports on late night radio and tv audio channel of similar ?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
OP I just replied to another thread about weather. I explained in it that for the past 6 nights ALWAYS between 12 - 4 am there has been lightening. It didn't occur to me that blue lightning was weird though, there has been some cloud cover and the sky lit up blue. It was really amazing.

If it happens again tonight I'll try and snap a picture OF LIGHTNING!!! I'll have to be quicker than an apology from Jeremy Clarkson

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberdragon74
Strange blue verticle light over south Edinburgh last night around 6 ish and 9 ish similar affect to lightning no aircraft or unusual cloud base. No noise either random and strange flight paths for airport reported clear and no visual !!!!!' was to quick to photograph heard reports on late night radio and tv audio channel of similar ?

Hi, did you join just to post this? where about you at? I am near the Barnton Roundabout. What Radio show was talking about it, have you checked to see if thier website has anything on it. My mate lives South Edinburgh, where you at CD.? And cheers for validating someone seen it

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3N3G4D3
! I'll have to be quicker than an apology from Jeremy Clarkson

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I would like to have seen that

Seems its very explainable:

Most people see lightning strikes that go from clouds to the ground, but some lightning goes upward, forming blue jets and gigantic jets. Perhaps the most dangerous lightning appears as "bolts from the blue" — lightning that begins upward, but then moves sideways and then downward to hit the ground as much as three miles from a thunderstorm.

Weird blue lightning explained

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I would like to have seen that

Seems its very explainable:

Most people see lightning strikes that go from clouds to the ground, but some lightning goes upward, forming blue jets and gigantic jets. Perhaps the most dangerous lightning appears as "bolts from the blue" — lightning that begins upward, but then moves sideways and then downward to hit the ground as much as three miles from a thunderstorm.

Weird blue lightning explained

I didnt look myself, but my mate said there wasnt a cloud in the sky, Could this happen from no clouds? I am still going through all the local news/radio outlets to see what my mate was listening to.
edit on 7/12/2011 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny
I didnt look myself, but my mate said there wasnt a cloud in the sky, Could this happen from no clouds? I am still going through all the local news/radio outlets to see what my mate was listening to.

Yes it can... several ways

One would be St Elmo's fire or Coronal Discharge...

Weather Whys: St, Elmo’s Fire

Another would be seeing the blue jets above a distant thunderstorm. Because the storm would be too far away to see the storm clouds or hear the thunder because of the curve of the earth, but you would still see the higher altitude effects known as blue jets. The Elves and Sprites are even more eerie if you spot those

FULL SIZE HERE

edit on 7-12-2011 by zorgon because: Wasn't me it was..... GREMLINS

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
We had a flash of RED lightning in East Kilbride, Near Glasgow a couple of days ago.
ONE flash, then one really loud thunder clap, in the middle of a heavy snow shower, then nothing!

No blue that I've noticed.

weird stuff.

GTD

new topics

top topics

join