It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby Taken From Occupy Miami Residents

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

A newborn who would have been the first baby born at Occupy Miami if the occupiers had their way is in the care of the state, as her parents try to figure out how to regain custody.

Shannon Welch was ultimately rushed by ambulance to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where she gave birth Nov. 15.

Though police officers stationed at the camp tried to call ambulances days earlier, occupiers pressed to have her give birth right there at the tent camp.

"They said, ‘You should have the baby here, because that'll be the first baby at Occupy Miami,’” Welch said.

Aaron Pabon, who identified himself as a journalist documenting Occupy Miami, said the occupiers wanted the symbolism of a birth at their camp on the west lawn of Miami-Dade County Hall.

"One of the things about Occupy is they want to make the camp self-sustaining. They want to make it a legitimate city," said Pabon.

The Welches did not appear for a court hearing about their daughter Monday morning. Their lawyers, public defenders, and state social workers said they had no contact information to reach them and did not know about their tent at Occupy Miami. The state considers the couple homeless.

The Welches said they did not come from Kansas to Miami to be part of the movement, but moved in at the request of a friend.

Their next hearing about their newborn daughter is scheduled in three weeks.

The baby is currently in a foster home.

"I really want her back," said George Welch. "I don't care how hard I have to fight for her."

Source

At first this headline makes you want to feel sorry for the parents, but once you read the article you find out that she refused several ambulance rides to the hospital because she wanted her child to be the first one born at Occupy Miami. It sounds like she was using her child's birth as a publicity stunt.

I know that not to long ago it was very common to give birth at home with a midwife, but Occupy Miami is not a place to give birth to a child, especially when there are hospitals nearby. These parents to be should have had their priorities in the right order, now they may lose their child.

I'm trying not to judge the parents but by the sounds of the article they might have left Kansas City to live in a tent at Occupy Miami. This is not a smart move for a pregnant woman who is due to give birth. It's a shame they tried to pull such a stupid stunt because these are the moments where a mother and child should be creating a special bond.

I hope for the baby's sake that this is just a misunderstanding and the parents prove themselves worthy to get their child back. The fact that they didn't show up for the court hearing is suspicious in my opinion. It makes them sound like unfit parents. What kind of parents don't show up at a court hearing to regain custody of their newborn child?
edit on 7-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

s/f op.. It makes you wonder if the issue was "What a great way to get publicity" I don't know .. Thanks for the thread ..

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Thanks for stopping by

The more I read about it, the more it sounds like these are unfit parents.

Please be aware that I'm considering the possibility that the media is adding it's own spin on this to demonize the movement, but it honestly sounds like a couple idiots were trying to have a baby at Occupy Miami.

I'm trying my best to reserve judgement and hoping the system will make the right decision, if that's even possible.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Why does it matter where she wanted to have the baby? Isnt that her choice..
This is just another case of the government imposing on peoples freedoms

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

This is a tough one in my opinion. I completely agree with your statement in most situations but the article left me under the impression that these parents weren't too smart, and may not have their baby's interests in mind.

Perhaps I have fallen victim to biased reporting in this instance, who knows. Normally I side with the parents over the state.

Did you see the part in the article where the parents didn't show up at the court hearing for their newborn child?
edit on 7-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

The Welches did not appear for a court hearing about their daughter Monday morning. Their lawyers, public defenders, and state social workers said they had no contact information to reach them and did not know about their tent at Occupy Miami. The state considers the couple homeless.

This is one time I appreciate the state's interference. It boggles the mind to hear someone proclaiming the rights of adults, so-called parents, while disregarding this particular paragraph.
The insufferable parents are A.W.O.L.! There's an infant totally dependent on the State... Daddy Red-tape and Protocol.
OWLS doesn't represent much more than the "me" crowd, imo.

I pray the little one is placed into the loving arms of one of the multitude of families who understand where true happiness comes from, which is giving, not taking.

S&F

edit on 7-12-2011 by sweetliberty because: comma

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well CO, it seems we stand eye to eye on this one. These parents, if you want to call them that, have proved beyond a doubt that they are incapable of providing a loving and nurturing home for the infant. Who in their right mind would believe that having a baby in a drug and disease filled occupy camp is a positive action?! For that babys sake, I hope to God that a good loving adoptive couple can be found for it.

Just another example of the idiocy that is filling the Occupy movement...
edit on 7-12-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I think more information is needed before we condemn these people as bad parents.

Hands up all those who think the state is a good parent?

In the uk a study found that about 80% of people in jail grew up in state care!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

You don't take someone's baby over their decision of where to have it! The ambulance drivers should have sent over a qualified professional, and that would have solved the issue.

This story should have been about how rouge band of quasi-police thugs tried to kidnap a baby, but were successfully stopped, and we no longer have to worry about whacko freaks having to kidnap our babies.
edit on 7-12-2011 by seachange because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Silly parents! Don't they know pro-choice means you have the right to choose to keep your kid or abort it , not choose if you want to have it in a modern hospital or at a camp/home as millions of mammals have done for thousands of years? Forget the idea that babies in other countries are born in woods, fields, camps, houses etc. Don't they know a baby should be born only in sterile hospital conditions? That's why a baby's face comes out head first mere inches from ...uhmmm....the most unsanitary part of a woman's body....(the anus for anyone who does not know body parts).

I've been to a couple occupy camps and didn't see any drugs being used and the camps were very clean. Did you see exactly where this couple planned to deliver the baby?

I couldn't find the article on the link to read it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

At first this headline makes you want to feel sorry for the parents, but once you read the article you find out that she refused several ambulance rides to the hospital because she wanted her child to be the first one born at Occupy Miami. It sounds like she was using her child's birth as a publicity stunt.

I agree completely, these are the elements I knew would get too much attention and help smear the good people trying to effect change. i have to agree that social services should step in UNLESS there was actually a qualified midwife and appropriate location to give birth.

A tent city does not qualify, and putting a child's life in danger does nothing to help the movement, and in all honestly, who the hell would have thought it could?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by seachange

This story should have been about how rouge band of quasi-police thugs tried to kidnap a baby, but were successfully stopped, and we no longer have to worry about whacko freaks having to kidnap our babies.
edit on 7-12-2011 by seachange because: (no reason given)

Where in the hell do you think this is? Afghanistan?!?!?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

From everything I can see in this article, the decision to take the child was one based on opinion. There is no legal reason listed that would justify actually taking someone child, and I dare say that if there was a reason the media would not hold back from telling us.
Lots of people choose not to go to their hearings, its their right but sadly due to the inconsistency of our legal system it will probably affect their chances.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

but it honestly sounds like a couple idiots were trying to have a baby at Occupy Miami.

Exactly, a couple of idiots, yet this is what this story does for the majority of people without the ability to think critically:

Just another example of the idiocy that is filling the Occupy movement

So two idiots decided to do that. What about the hundreds of others who didn't?

Obviously the media will spin this to help demonize the entire thing, and it's clearly working.

For people using a sight that promotes the notion to "Deny Ignorance" it seems to be filled with ignorant people.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
Why does it matter where she wanted to have the baby? Isnt that her choice..
This is just another case of the government imposing on peoples freedoms

I agree, I think traditional birth should be an option for the mother. While it is more dangerous, it is a choice I can respect. Some people don't want their baby being born in a hospital which I understand, while would not choose that if I had a baby, f that! I'd go to a hospital.

But, please also note, the mother also risked her own life to some degree when choosing not to have a baby in a hospital, not an easy choice, and not something you do as a thoughtless publicity stunt(I am saying it was not a thoughtless publicity stunt).

Coming Up Next In The World Driven On Fear Of Death!.... ban on cigarettes... Stay tuned for your Programing!
edit on 7-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

You should think before you make ignorant inferrances. I said ANOTHER example. I did NOT say ALL of them were trying to procreate in the camps. The uncritical ability to think belongs to you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

Lots of people choose not to go to their hearings, its their right but sadly due to the inconsistency of our legal system it will probably affect their chances.

You have made some good points in your posts in this thread that I agree with but the fact that they didn't show up at the first hearing since their newborn child was taken leave me no choice but to question their current mindset.

Sure people don't show up to some hearings, but this is a newborn child we're talking about. I won't lie, the actions of these "parents" strike me as careless.

I'm still reserving judgement and hoping this will get straightened out with a proper investigation.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Dang, some of you people really give me the creeps with your noses all up in this.

I guess it's ok for American Indians to live and give birth in a tent, but you people act like this was a death sentence for the infant.

Probably safer to be giving birth naturally, than to be giving the hospital/insurance companies all kinds of money, so they can kick mom out of the hospital when the insurance runs out after two days. Not to mention the crap she could catch in the hospital

Welcome to reality people. You don't need a hospital to bring a baby into this world. Yes I know there can be complications. My son was pulled out with a pair of salad tongs and my wife was slaughtered by your hospitals, which caused the next two to come out "C". Don't tell me about problems with birth. The doc did let me cut her tubes.

As for the filth, I bet most of your homes/hospitals have more germs floating around than an outdoor camp.

So here it is..You people have no business saying what these parents should do. It is none of your business. Let them have a baby where and how they like.

Survival mode mean anything to you people?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
After musing over this and a good cup of coffee, I'm hoping to be allowed to change my position on this.
The community would most likely have taken great care of the new born little rebel. It's who we are and a part of our history. Statically, the baby would thrive with an abundance of love and what comes with that love.
Snip the State and my programmed thought process

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Were they fit parents, judging by the article they were not (doesn't seem like spin here), it would have been fine to have the baby wherever they wanted but it doesn't seem they were fit, these two seem mentally ill and for once I agree with the actions of the authorities. There's probably much more to the story but at least the infant is safe and I'm sure loving, adept people will become her parents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join