It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digging for gold, children work in harsh conditions, paid with bags of dirt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
This is another sign of where this world is headed.

The skyrocketing price of gold has led to a rush on the precious metal in the United States and throughout the world, but some of the mining that’s helping feed the world’s craving involves child labor and a dangerous process involving mercury

There is a video and full story as well. I will comment more in a few minutes

rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com... orldnews

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
So, so sad! I wish we could help those children.

This reminds me of the man who is 'mining' the streets of New York City for gold. Desperate times..

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
This is another sign of where this world is headed.

The skyrocketing price of gold has led to a rush on the precious metal in the United States and throughout the world, but some of the mining that’s helping feed the world’s craving involves child labor and a dangerous process involving mercury

There is a video and full story as well. I will comment more in a few minutes

rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com... orldnews

No one cares. Africa stands alone.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
This is so sad... Needs way more attention.

Star, Flag and bump

Thanks for spreading the news.

Maybe someone can set up a fund for these kids and people can donate money, even if it's a $1.00 or R10.00. Maybe these kids can at least earn some money.. instead of dirt.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Thats what happens when you dont have unions.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

Thank you very much. I totally agree. Not because I threaded it, but it is so disgusting that children who have little if any choice are in the middle of greed or hunger and desperation..

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

What a world. Send your oldest child to work in an unsafe gold mine exposed to mercury fumes with squalid living conditions to support the other kids back home. He gets paid with a bag of dirt that may or may not have a fleck or so of gold in it. Sounds like a plan for his future. Outrageous OP!! That's what a small child's life is worth - a possibility of a fleck of gold. Outrageous - just can't get over it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
"If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em"

You know, there is a lot of wisdom in that saying. I get weary of other people throwing their misery in my face and then demand I do something about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

it is a very sad industry the precious metals and gems. From gathering to sell its unfair. This world and the priorities of the in control positions as of now is not right. But you know most dont care unless the ills effect them negativley. All we can do is hope for a day of balance. SAD

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

You have said it all. I appreciate your input and insight. I guess things have become more important than people. At least for some of us. The more I see the change of the world and the people in it, the more I am thankful I am not a young child in the age upon us.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Newt is all for child labor.
That is a major plank in his platform.
Let them pan for gold in their rags.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

I dont understand what Newt has to do with the thread and his political chances. I dont know what you mean by let them pan in their rags. ?? The thread topic and Newt G are not connected or the election to come in The US.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
"If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em"

You know, there is a lot of wisdom in that saying. I get weary of other people throwing their misery in my face and then demand I do something about it.

There's wisdom in that point for an educated, middle-to-upper class Westerner who has has education about safe sex as well as contraception. You don't even know what it means to be an African woman, who are often forced to have sex without condoms because their husbands want to, and their husbands don't use condoms because of myths that perpetrate those countries about the evils of them. You can't just say "don't breed em". The issue is a lot bigger than that. The real issue is that African countries have no money because of the horrors of the IMF and Western countries' loans, so they have no money for infrastructure, no infrastructure = no education, no education = no safe sex talks during 9th and 10th grade. In cultures where rape and female genital mutilation is okay and very little outlets for teaching about safe sex and condoms, as well as little cultural desire to learn about these things, it's really freakin' difficult to not have kids.

But if you could really look some Malian people in the eye and say, "Eh, just don't have kids" then maybe you should say it to their faces. Oh wait. You have never been to Africa and have never looked an African in the eye and you don't have a clue what poverty really is, nor how it affects every aspect of these people's lives and deprives them of the basic conveniences, rights, and education that you enjoy.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
This is so sad... Needs way more attention.

Star, Flag and bump

Thanks for spreading the news.

Maybe someone can set up a fund for these kids and people can donate money, even if it's a $1.00 or R10.00. Maybe these kids can at least earn some money.. instead of dirt.

You could give them food,shelter.money.medicine.....etc. And they will waste it all away they live in plentiful place. The land has not failed the people the people have failed the land.

You could give them the shirt off your back and they would still want and beg for more.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929
...poverty... affects every aspect of these people's lives and deprives them of the basic conveniences, rights, and education that you enjoy.

I did not mean to sound harsh or callous toward these people. But I don't believe they are so helpless that they can't solve their own problems with the resources they have.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Actually, they are intimately connected.
The attitude of the elites, and Newt is one, is "let them eat cake." While our leaders trade our jobs like stocks on the stock market, our opportunities go to the lowest bidder. That means, whomever will work for dirt gets the work.
Get it?
It is important to understand WHY children have to work in deplorable conditions. It comes down to leadership.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

I grew up in the most extreme poverty and never was put to work in a sweat shop enviironment. I am not going to get political on the Newt Subject but I think he would be able to explain the misunderstanding ( in my opinion ) that so many seem to have formed on his view of children in the work place. There are two sides to every story and his side should be explained by him.

top topics

join