It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

Chill!
lighten up
You are in danger of de-railing what is a very informative thread with having a snipe at someone who is just passing a comment about how to smile during adverse weather conditions.

It's people like the one I quoted who derail genuine helpful informative threads like this with moronic comments.
I'm quite 'chilled' but thank you for your concern.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, only an hour away from Manchester, so its good to be prepared even if nothing comes of this...

S+F

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Could you do the wind speed in MPH as well as KPH please? Not being funny, I just relate to that better, like the speed of my car, and it's what I grew up with
. You could add knotts for the sailors amongst us...being an island and all!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Schools in Edinburgh closing at Noon

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

Could you do the wind speed in MPH as well as KPH please? Not being funny, I just relate to that better, like the speed of my car, and it's what I grew up with
. You could add knotts for the sailors amongst us...being an island and all!

Rainbows
Jane

So far the top gust is about 75mph. Expect that to increase by 2-3pm when the full force hits the UK.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Howdy Folks, im in livingston, slap bang between edinburgh and glasgow and in the eye of the storm.. 90mph winds + due anytime now.

Wind is picking up here, all schools shut, but im in the office. not really due to give us a battering until 6pm so ill keep you all posted.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Just so you all in Scotland and Northern England can see...i have attached 2 images of the precipitation type forecast. Pink denote Snow. (please remember that precipitation type is VERY hard to forecast with total accuracy

Today

Tomorrow

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
9am gust map...now gusting 60-70mph in places and 95kts (110mph) at Bealach, Scotland (700m, 2000+ft) .

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I know the following 2 pictures are for the 18th December - and thats a long way away, however, i will be watching this projected system very closely over the next few days. If it remains at the projected intensity, it will need a weather thread like no other thread.

If this pulled off on the 18th, this would be one of the lowest LP ever recorded in the UK and it would be devastating (far more so than the 1987 hurricane). The current record is 926.5 millibars in Perthshire, 26 Jan 1884

To put this into perspective, Hurricane Wilma had a pressure of 882mb, this projected LP will have a pressure of 930mb.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Well things are really bad now,

Some leaves have been seen coming away from their attachment to their branches,

And now Morrisons plastic bags wont stay put on the ground where they were dumped, its getting scary.

Thousands of people are now having trouble lighting up their cigarettes outside,

There are reports of furry animals flying in the air, turns out they are peoples wigs,

These surely must be signs that the world is going to end.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Be very carefull all up there and don't try to be a hero.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Thank you.
Spot on timing here in Warrington, just outside Manchester.....wind has just started up and blustering!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
I know the following 2 pictures are for the 18th December - and thats a long way away, however, i will be watching this projected system very closely over the next few days. If it remains at the projected intensity, it will need a weather thread like no other thread.

If this pulled off on the 18th, this would be one of the lowest LP ever recorded in the UK and it would be devastating (far more so than the 1987 hurricane). The current record is 926.5 millibars in Perthshire, 26 Jan 1884

To put this into perspective, Hurricane Wilma had a pressure of 882mb, this projected LP will have a pressure of 930mb.

Ok that sounds bad! As I know absolutely nothing about how this stuff works, is it just low pressure that brings bad weather, or do you need other things as well?

Please continue to keep us updated, it's much appreciated.
edit on 8-12-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Latest observations here in West Cumbria are gusts up to 53Mph, seems to be climbing 10Mph every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. My observation of walking outside: Watching seagulls trying to fly into the wind is hilarious.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Met office issues highest warning ‘red-alert’ for Scotland .

Residents across parts of Scotland are being warned to take action as “dangerous” stormy weather with gusts of up to 90mph will hit the country. The Met Office warned of severe weather and gale-force winds on Thursday, as overnight snow on Wednesday closed roads and affected transport to schools in Aberdeenshire as the wintry weather continues. Red warnings – the highest level of Met Office alerts – were issued for wind in the Strathclyde, central belt, Tayside, Lothians and Borders areas.

It’s going to be a bad storm no doubt about that, an their will be deaths guaranteed from debris or lorries etc, but there is a more intense storm being thrown up on the models for 14th December, 940MB which is very intense.

So Everybody Stay Safe..

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Honestly, the more snow, the more fun!
It's great being snowed in from the outside world, having kids at home on snow days, making pancakes and bacon in the morning before everyone gets set to go outside and play and shovel out. Nothin' to fear, at least not where I come from.

The world is not all about you.
Have a thought for elderly folks or anyone unsteady on their feet.
Have a thought for carers and those who need them.
Have a thought for those who have no choice but to go out in their cars.
Have a thought for the many who only get paid if they turn up.
As for 'snow days' they don't always conveniently start in the early hours. If you work or have responsibilities you can't just sit tight on account of 'the weather might turn nasty'. There is a risk that you will get to your destination but not so easily back home.
But please don't let any thoughts for others get in the way of your personal wants.

Lol.

Have a thought for elderly folks who enjoy snow
Have a thought for carers who enjoy snow
Have a thought for the millions of life you make miserable by driving your car and ruining the planet
Have a thought for those who aren't as miserable as you
etc etc

Lighten up you bloody killjoy. Who cares? You don't see people making the same argument when someone celebrates the summer heat, nobody would say "how dare you, think about the old people, think about those with severe asthma,

It's a bit of bloody snow, we're evolved to cope with it. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

LMFAO!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Not too bad where I am just off of the Bowland Fells(Lancashire/Yorkshire border specifically, few miles out from Burnley). I wouldn't want to be on top of Pendle hill at the moment though
Cat just wandered in the house a few moments ago, soaking wet, didn't look best pleased
edit on 8-12-2011 by JessopJessopJessop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

OMG is that wrong? i really hope so

Thats incredible

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Well here in NW Ireland on the South Donegal coast the peak has passed. Max gust was 144kmh (90mph). Sun is out now but still a bit blustery. Squally showers now main feature and temp has dropped 3c in the last hour. All in all just a normal passing storm in this neck of the woods. Passed faster and indeed further north than forecast. Looks like Scotland is going to get hit head on. Day for the fireside or the high stool me thinks

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join