It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I am on the East Coast well below the storm line but have just been tweeted by the local paper warning that 60 ml an hour winds are going to hit us, goodness knows what it will be like up North. Take care all of you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The northern hemisphere seems to be getting hit with increasing cold winters. Apart from the obvious cooment aboiut global warming (now climate change) I wonder whey it's not happening to the same extent in the southern hemisphere.

Where I live, things have been quite normal for years.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
This reminds me of a series called 'broken news'.

A very funny series taking piss out of news and weather.

One weather man was saying ' and we are concerned for the Sussex area as they have not had any weather for the past 6 months'

Or another quote :-

'some blustery conditions coming in from the north with widespread disruption and blowing around a bit before the weather system goes off in some other direction'.

Classic.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

No you're quite right saying that and no apology needed

Winds such as we're expecting tomorrow aren't even that unusual in Britain - indeed we've had a couple of similar storms already in the past few weeks. But they tracked further north and mainly affected the Hebrides (where 1 person died) and Northern Scotland, not the very densely populated Central Belt.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

That was good that one

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Some schools now closing at lunchtime tomorrow so kids can get home before the worst winds arrived. This is being taken very seriously

news.stv.tv...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's always amazed me how in the UK, a couple of inches of snow and temperature just below freezing(-1 or -2) make the all country come to a stand still! After all the UK are in Norhern Europe and should be ready for a dusting of snow from time to time.. Let me guess the news on the radio tomorrow morning, do not send your kids to school (Arctic front) and only travel if absolutely necessary! Pathetic!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vschnz

Not all that pathetic...if a 30ft oak tree falls on a child..i'd say heed the warnings well..

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I like the fact that OP hit the nail on the head a full 2 hours before BBC weather even started talking about it.
The only thing I could find when this thread started was a page in the guardian newspaper, and the link OP gave us in his opening post.
Now it's everywhere..
ATS one step ahead once again..

I think it will go further south than they are saying, looking at the satellite pictures, and maps in most of OP's posts.. I think it might be a bigger deal in the midlands than is currently being reported.
I'll let you know if it all kicks off here in Gun City..

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm glad this has been alerted here. I'm in the north west, & hadn't heard a weather report. I've obviously noticed the cold & the howling winds coming & going over the last couple of days, but I wasn't aware of the anticipated storm.

Sounds like a good time to relax on the sofa with a blanket, and mugs of tea, for anyone fortunate to have that opportunity.

We need to be extra vigilant on the roads, because apart from the risk of falling trees etc, bad weather round my neck of the woods generally results in having to contend with the usual speed freaks, together with others who insist on switching their fog lights on inappropriately, and leaping, inexplicably and frequently on their foot breaks!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What about the South of England, London/Essex area? Last year when the snow hit the news said we would have sleet and/or a light dusting of snow. I work in Piccadilly circus and the last few years that it has snowed this area has remained dry or the settled snow has melted quickly due to the heat of the area and the amount of people there. Last year (on the 5th, i believe) after hearing about this expected "light dusting" i was surprised when a colleague of mine casually mentioned it was snowing heavily outside, as i looked, it was indeed, it had already settled to ankle height and was coming down fast. We had a TFL staff member come into store advising us to send people home as they were beginning to shut the underground down for safety reasons. I had to get back to Essex and the only option for me at this point was to go via the jubilee line. It began to hail heavily as i left and my train got stuck between London bridge and Bermondsey for an hour and a half, with no phone signal due to being underground and no tannoy announcements. When we finally emerged, Essex resembled the white room from the Matrix, i`ve never seen anything like this in my 30 years and neither have my parents, who were born in the 50s. I had to walk home from my tube station in thigh deep snow. I tend not to believe weather forecasts on the news as they are always wrong and i have a mum in a wheelchair and a dad with severe arthritis back in Essex to think about, if i can give them a heads up, i shall do so so if somebody can post about London/Essex, it would be a huge help. I don`t usually post on here but i`m deeply concerned about this!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Well, if such is the case, do not go to work either tomorrow, you might get run over by a car, or you might slip on a dog poo and break your wrist. Still is the attitude of brits with winter is pathetic

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I love it when it snows here in the uk.
The police shut down main routes because some idiot in an expensive bmw (rear wheel drive) has spun around and crashed.

Then the real fun begins sliding everywhere (small lightweight diesel with a large turbo).
The car gets a bit twitchy in the snow but i just love it.
So many people just dont know how to drive in the snow.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I have to agree with some of the Brit-bashing on the weather, even as a Brit. So a tree might fall on one or two people - and what? How many people are killed in accidents up and down the country every day. How many car crashes every day, no matter the weather?

How many of you worrying about the dangers the weather will drive every day, risking your lifes every day?

Our reaction to a bit of snow and wind is over the top, especially considering how frequent it is. You couldn't be blamed for thinking the UK was Somalia with the way the media/citizens react to typical British winter weather - Even if this storm might be marginally worse than usual

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
I like the fact that OP hit the nail on the head a full 2 hours before BBC weather even started talking about it.

To be fair, weather forums have been discussing this for a couple of days and models have been indicating the likelihood of it for the past week.

Originally posted by pinkstarbuck
What about the South of England, London/Essex area?

A bit windy but that's all. Maybe a frost if you are lucky.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just get prepared is all one can do , watch out for the old folks . -15c isn't that harsh , remember working out in -40c with a wind chill at the lumber yard but that's in Canada though and were used to it . Well some of are .

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up OP, there are friends I need to warn. As for this year into next year winter I reckon we are going to have a cold long one this time, probably lasting from now through to March / April and if it does happen I expect the electric n gas companies to post new profit highs mid 2012 but at the same time the UK will have a long hot sunny summer stretching from April/May through to October.

Don't ask me for the lottery numbers ok

Wolfie

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

The daughter kindly took me to 'see a man about a dog' today and on the way home she nearly killed me.
I had to put the spare tyre on at the side of a reasonably busy road.
The wind was bitterly cold and I had trouble completing a relatively simple and familiar task as my hands were literally numb and I was bitterly cold throughout.
I'm not normally that bothered about cold but the wind was strong and absolutely nithering.

The moral?
If travelling anywhere tomorrow please take adequate precautions and prepare for any eventuallity as it is going to be far worse tomorrow and probably Friday.

As for me, I'm even giving up visiting the pub and am going to cabin up with a few tinnies, crisps and nibbles, a bit of the other and watch some catch-up TV.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by watchdog8110

The daughter kindly took me to 'see a man about a dog' today and on the way home she nearly killed me.
I had to put the spare tyre on at the side of a reasonably busy road.
The wind was bitterly cold and I had trouble completing a relatively simple and familiar task as my hands were literally numb and I was bitterly cold throughout.
I'm not normally that bothered about cold but the wind was strong and absolutely nithering.

The moral?
If travelling anywhere tomorrow please take adequate precautions and prepare for any eventuallity as it is going to be far worse tomorrow and probably Friday.

As for me, I'm even giving up visiting the pub and am going to cabin up with a few tinnies, crisps and nibbles, a bit of the other and watch some catch-up TV.

I would be surprised if the authorities do not put a travel ban in effect if it gets a bad as they predict . Shut it all down for the safety of others .

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Yep more wrap us up in cotton wall society and feed us sh1t

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join