It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
what is it with my country, everytime theres a storm or snow the whole place is set to panic stations. every winter we hear about some 'cer-razy storm' coming and its never that bad (they always calm downwhen they hit land).

on sunday and monday there was warnings that there was going to be some snow in scotland and the north of england... well no s**t sherlock its WINTER!!

i'll panic when my house's roof gets ripped off or my car flies through my lounge window, which im betting wont happen

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If someone can give me a proper ETA, I'll nip down the shore with the camcorder.

Here is a before pic I took during the summer, Scotland is in the background, just to the right:

Calm isn't it, wonder what tomorrow will bring...................
edit on 7/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by just1cornell0

Isn't it a good job Hitler never had a snow machine eh? All of Britain would have came to a standstill and shouted NEEEIIIIINNNN!!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

We're British, we like to talk about the weather

This is a bad storm though, and the OP lays it out well, if you don't like it, don't participate in the discussion.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
If someone can give me a proper ETA, I'll nip down the shore with the camcorder.

Here is a before pic I took during the summer, Scotland is in the background, just to the right:

Calm isn't it, wonder what tomorrow will bring...................
edit on 7/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

ETA in your neck of the woods would be tomorrow morning. I'd imagine it would peak around Noon-3pm. You'll soon see though!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The difference here though is the sea is still relatively warm. the Jet Stream and the warmer Atlantic will fuel this LP a lot over the next few hours. It wont hit land dead on, it will skirt the north coast so a lot of its power will remain. Depending on where you are (if South England) i doubt you will have roof issues but those living in Glasgow and the West and right up the NE could very well have roof issues so to them its serious.

If you go back through and read my OP and follow my posts you will see other links to information on this event - even the BBC forecasters response to this storm.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

Funny you should say that, but that's exactly what did happen (Britain came to a standsill due to snow) in 1940,1941 and 1942 ....
The first 3 winters of WWII were all severe n Britain. There were news blackouts though to help keep morale up and make us seem less vulnerable to Hitler.

Anyway, the main issue this week is the wind. There'll be some snow in places as there always is in December, more especially in the Highlands with blizzards likely.

Models current suggest another storm next Tuesday. And no let up in the current unsettled conditions. Still, at least there's no sign whatosever of the severe cold we had last year, and with milder interludes most low level places that do get snow this month will see it quickly disappear again.

For the record, down here we haven't even had an air frost yet - the latest date in my records.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by just1cornell0
what is it with my country, everytime theres a storm or snow the whole place is set to panic stations. every winter we hear about some 'cer-razy storm' coming and its never that bad (they always calm downwhen they hit land).

on sunday and monday there was warnings that there was going to be some snow in scotland and the north of england... well no s**t sherlock its WINTER!!

i'll panic when my house's roof gets ripped off or my car flies through my lounge window, which im betting wont happen

Because on our planet bad weather kills people.

Shall I make a morbid list?

If it's windy or we suffer from heavy gales - then this will not only affect the traffic and potentially cause accidents by tipping trucks or sending branches through windscreens, but pedestrians can get killed by slates and roof tiles and such.

If it's rainy, then there's the potential of flooding, cold flooding - since the temperatures are pretty low, this is the type of weather that can kill homeless people and unsuspecting walkers, ramblers, climbers etc

If it's hail or frost then this again can cause traffic disruption, or worse black ice, with zero grip people can fall and injure themselves, especially disabled people or pensioners, or practically anyone.

Not being negative, just being honest.

Best not to get caught unaware and always nice to share data / info - so don't be so dismissive

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

We're British, we like to talk about the weather

This is a bad storm though, and the OP lays it out well, if you don't like it, don't participate in the discussion.

Well said and thanks to the OP.

Actually even on my msm news this morning it said winds of up to 80mph in Scotland. That's some wind!
Despite the sarcy comments about it 'being winter', there is no doubt that the earth is increasingly being subject to weather extremes. Just where I live, winters are becoming more and more difficult. It's certainly no fun if you are elderly or disabled, or if you have to travel a lot.
edit on 7-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This reminds me of a series called 'broken news'.

A very funny series taking piss out of news and weather.

One weather man was saying ' and we are concerned for the Sussex area as they have not had any weather for the past 6 months'

Or another quote :-

'some blustery conditions coming in from the north with widespread disruption and blowing around a bit before the weather system goes off in some other direction'.

Classic.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
BECO have issued a warning also.

BECO

Damage to life or property is very likely

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

One of the small benefits of having to eke out life on a pension is that I don't have to go ANYWHERE. Especially when the weather is bad.
Thanks to people like yourself who don't worry about ignorant peeps who come on and take the p*** at the mention of weather. They just haven't a clue...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Radio Scotland have announched that the Scottish Government will be meeting tonight to discuss the option of closing Schools and Bridges tomorrow because of this storm.

Schools closing because of wind is very RARE indeed.

Children walking home from school have a higher risk of injury from falling trees, not to mention buses being blown off the road

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
BBC Newstory:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Also, MetO Press Release:

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Yes, and some of the worst winds could well be around the time they are heading home. It's shaping up to be a very major storm, even by Scottish standards.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I live on the east coast just outside Newcastle, its been quite windy today, and those gusts are damn freezing! I didn't know about this impending storm though.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
All of my British friends stay safe and warm! Keep an eye on your neighbors, bring all pets inside, and if you have a heart and some extra money distribute some blankets to the homeless! This looks like it will be a nasty storm, similar to the one that hit Alaska a little less than a month ago. But you Britons are used to these wild weather systems moving in during the winter so you will survive.

Funny though, the weather here in Florida today will be insane. It is already 81° (27°) here just ahead of this powerful cold front and tonight it will be down at or below 32° (0°), plus the winds are wild here gusting to 40mph. Wild weather we’re having.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Ummm....Come to Canada or Northern US and that happens alot.

Only thing to mention is that unfortunately the UK is not always ready to deal with weather situations like this, remember couple years ago a bit of snow shut down london for a few days....

Risk to life, because you dont normally experience this kind of weather is all i am saying.

Edit* I am not turning this into competition so i apologize.
edit on 7-12-2011 by MDDoxs because: look above

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Ummm....Come to Canada or Northern US and that happens alot.

Only thing to mention is that unfortunately the UK is not always ready to deal with weather situations like this, remember couple years ago a bit of snow shut down london for a few days....

Risk to life, because you dont normally experience this kind of weather is all i am saying.

Also a risk to life because the gusts of wind are going to be powerful enough to bring down trees, power cables or roofs.

A few years ago here in Manchester a woman died when she was lifted up by a gust of wind and thrown against a building in one storm, many tree branches came down too. I think it will pay to be cautious with this warning and pay attention to any updates. I actually found it hard to walk against the wind today and this weather system hasn't even got going.

Good luck to everyone north of Manchester, I hope you've got all the supplies you need

(just seen your edit, that's hardly a competiton anyone would like to win
)
edit on 7-12-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Valid from - 08 Dec 2011, 10:00
Valid to - 09 Dec 2011, 06:00

Winds will increase during Thursday morning with severe gales developing across many northern and central parts of the UK, and some particularly damaging storm force winds likely to affect parts of the north, including some major population centres in Scotland.

The risk of disruption is considered highest across central and southern Scotland where the police are advising that conditions for travel will be extremely poor and that travellers are likely to experience significant delays.

Winds should tend to ease from the west on Thursday night with the severe gales becoming confined to NE Scotland by the early hours of Friday.

Heavy rain and hill snow are additional hazards that will accompany the gales (see our snow warnings for details).

It's been building up for days, it's been shockingly cold here in the north west with literally dozens of hail showers - maybe one every hour or so.... This morning the wind was very harsh and the hail was painful. Now i'm snug at home with a mince pie, central heating and a cup of tea.

Indeed it's been cold. The hail has been a pain in the arse too. Also some on-off snow where I am (East Lancashire)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join