It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I have been watching the storm approaching in the NW atlantic , via satellite images captured over the last 12 hours . I calculate it will hit the NW UK at around 20:00 this evening .

source here
www.metoffice.gov.uk...
edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
I have been watching the storm approaching in the NW atlantic , via satellite images captured over the last 12 hours . I calculate it will hit the NW UK at around 20:00 this evening .

source here
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

At the moment the LP isn't very visible. Its currently off the SW coast of Iceland. Look at this LINK here.

It should make landfall off of the NW (Western Isles) at around 10am tomorrow morning.

This Norwegian Sat Image shows the animation of the LP Norwiegen Sat
edit on 7/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

For live time Temp and Wind Speeds, hover over the arrows at your desired location HERE

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
What about the storm rushing in off the NW Atlantic ? That thing is travelling !

EDIT
Forget that comment . Now I see what you mean . That thing looks frightening .

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

What about the storm rushing in off the NW Atlantic ? That thing is travelling !

EDIT
Forget that comment . Now I see what you mean . That thing looks frightening .

The image above was taken 20 mins ago. I have highlighted the LP system. As you can see its very small and barely visible at the moment. This will grow very rapidly over the next 12 hours.

Visit link HERE

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This weather forecaster for the BBC seems to be quite "scared" about this weather event.

As he says...this is as serious as it gets here in the UK

Watch the full weather report HERE

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

This is the one I have been watching . Sorry for the confusion .

Terry

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
This weather forecaster for the BBC seems to be quite "scared" about this weather event.

As he says...this is as serious as it gets here in the UK

Watch the full weather report HERE

Yes , they seem to be emphasising everything .

This is going to be interesting to say the least .

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

This is the one I have been watching . Sorry for the confusion .

Terry

Your right...its me that's being confused. The one referenced by you is correct. Its forecast to make landfall early hours Friday and sweep through Friday/night

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Damn...HAARP is at it again...why oh why will it not go away?

Must go check the magnometer and see what HAARP is up to!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well I hope everyone keeps safe
and this amounts to nothing.

Tho I suspect from recent media coverage the Office for Budget Responsibility has it fingers crossed this will hit, as it seems they are hoping a bout of severe weather might help avert the double dip. (shows their mentality
)

All I can say is sod them and hope all those that might be impacted by this storm keeps safe

edit on 7/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It's damn windy in the Midlands already.
I have to say having watched that BBC weather report, I don't think I've seen one so adamantly serious as that in my life!
edit on 7-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
It's damn windy in the Midlands already.
I have to say having watched that BBC weather report, I don't think I've seen one so adamantly serious as that in my life!
edit on 7-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

I'm on the same boat as you. The wind you are experiencing isn't related to this weather system that's heading in. This weather system will be far worse!

Those in the central belt and up the East of Scotland (myself included) are going to get hammered...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well I'm up in the north of England, if it gets real bad, I'll get my camera out and snap a few pics for this thread

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

To be honest, it sounds like central Scotland will bear the brunt of it, and even there, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as the one we had in 1987. I remember watching the caravan doing cartwheels over the front lawn during that storm, I also remember the lynch mob that almost formed after Michael Fish.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

To be honest, it sounds like central Scotland will bear the brunt of it, and even there, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as the one we had in 1987. I remember watching the caravan doing cartwheels over the front lawn during that storm, I also remember the lynch mob that almost formed after Michael Fish.

The storm of 1987 is a different breed of storm altogether so they cant really be compared. They are occurring at different times and bring with them a set of different scenarios and risks.

The main issue with the storm of 1987 was strong winds and trees still in leaf. The majority of the damage was caused by trees falling. The strongest gust was 122mph in Norfolk but widely around 80-90mph.

This storm is forecast for winds gusting up to 100mph, with every possibility of winds exceeding this. The record UK wind speed recorded was 194mph on Cairngorm which is only 37mph short of the world record, the fastest wind at low lying levels ever recorded in the UK was 142mph recorded in Aberdeenshire.

This storm will bring with it freezing weather, blizzards, a storm surge and the wind.

Even if its only Scotland, over 2million people live in the path of the worst forecast area, i think this major storm is worthy of mention...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Northwest England here - clouds are moving pretty fast and they look rather ominous - as I say over the last two or three days we've had very chaotic hail patterns and extremely cold rain and heavy winds, I know we're used to gales and rain, but the temperature is beginning to bite. I would not want to be homeless tonight.

But that sounds like we've not even got the brunt of it yet.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
clouds moving, blustery wind, a nip in the air, must be the end of the world AGAIN, For Fu~$ Sake.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
First class thread JR...the 5 day met office now have a RED alert warning in force, my advise would be..if it's not important..i.e xmas shopping..stay indoors.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by isthatright
clouds moving, blustery wind, a nip in the air, must be the end of the world AGAIN, For Fu~$ Sake.

may I ask which part of the UK you are currently experiencing your sweary end of the world please?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Excellent thread op!!

You know whats weird? I live in Liverpool (This isn't the weirdest part!!) For the last SIX nights we've had thunderstorms overhead followed by hailstorms the size of maltesers REALLY big for us here. My bedroom window is filthy with all the rain and wind we've been having.

I predict it will snow on Saturday, last year my girlfriend went on a works night out and I ended up falling asleep. When I woke up it was covered in snow and still snowing. Then she was stuck in town for hours with her mates and I got to play online some more. YES!

So yeah I think this year will be worse than last, god help us in January...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join