It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

They could at least put him up in a B&B...infact being a housing association pretty sure they would have to. They cannot leave somebody in their property which is now structurally unsound...they could be fined for that.
I know it's not the best time for all this, but just trying to help by pointing out some possible legalities that the HA could be falling foul of. I think HA's are still answeable to the local council
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hi all .
Just checking in . Almost halfway through my nightshift .
Hi hope everybody is safe and well .
Don't let our American friend spoil such a wonderful thread .

Stay safe , friends .

Terry

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I'm not sure if Impact Housing are, it was Derwent & Solway that took over from the council.

From what I can gather, the kitchen is still covered by its plasterboard (I assume) celing, it's just the Felt and some wood that has ripped off, but if it rains bad, he could be in trouble.

Just been on the phone again, gonna fly down and try and get a photo, i've only got a crappy vivitar currys special camera, but it should be enough.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

Hi Terry,
As you can probably gather, we did the typical British thing, and formed a gang! Jessop did the final shoooing off!

Have a good night shift. Yes indeed this thread is now my number one fav on ATS...it's been a blast all day...one way or another!

Rainbows
Jane

PS Just thought....wonder if Dr's Wife saved her knickers? Haven't heard from her since she went on school run!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by tpg65

Hi Terry,
As you can probably gather, we did the typical British thing, and formed a gang! Jessop did the final shoooing off!

Have a good night shift. Yes indeed this thread is now my number one fav on ATS...it's been a blast all day...one way or another!

Rainbows
Jane

PS Just thought....wonder if Dr's Wife saved her knickers? Haven't heard from her since she went on school run!

Going well here Jane .
Birchwood is only up the road from me . How is the weather ?

Yeah I'm a little worried about the Doctors Wife and her knickers too . I hope she is ok .
I have to say this has been one of the best threads I have participated in since joining ATS .

Blessings to you all

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

That really does not sound good if the wind keeps up the rest of the roof could very easily come off now
Best of luck, stay safe, and it doesn't look like this thread is done just yet!

rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

A little blustery, but OK at the mo. Had hail stones earlier in the evening. Surprisingly mild even with the wind.
Rainbows
Jane

PS..winds picked up and more hail!

edit on 8-12-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

The wind is bitter here in Irlam . We've had quite a bit of hail too .

Check back with you all in the morning .

Sleep well all .

Terry

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Ok, it's not a very good image, as I said, it's was a £50 currys special camera, the flash is terrible, lol.

And if you can make this picture out, this is the roof, you can see where it has tore away.

EDIT: To add, his kitchen is now flooded as well, but Impact still insist on sending someone in the morning

edit on 8/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I recommend buying everything you can, this is HUUUUGGE. Buy, BUY, and more BUY. Go to the stores now and just buy till you pennyless on things to help you thru this. A huuuugge buying spree would help you thru this event. OH, AND I FORGOT TO MENTION, it will also put alot of money in someone elses pockets. BUT HEY, buy,buy,buy,buy,buy,buy,buy,buy and buy more and more. HE,he,he,he,he. Those in FEAR, buy more. YOU KNOW, it will help the economy. he,he,he,he,he SCARE TACTICS. BUY MORE AND PREPARE.
I say, let it dump three feet in one day. SO scarey. but hey, go ahead and buy.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's calmed right down in Glasgow now, not even any rain. Oh well, it was exciting while it lasted. We're due some snow tomorrow but sadly it's only going to be light snow. I'd prefer a serious blizzard tbh. FINGERS CROSSED.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Reporting in from Arbroath on the East Coast of Scotland here. After a day of winds that tore off Chimneys, slates, manhole covers and even a roof all is quiet, there's a stiff cold wind from the West but now snow and the seas are relatively flat. I'm working at 9.00am (outside I might add) so I better get some shut eye. Hope others got off so lightly!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
hope all ends well for you people...by the sounds of if this kind of wind is nothing new to Scotland

this from 5 yrs ago

Weather records take a while to become established as they need to be verified. If 176mph is verified then this will be a new land based UK record. The current record is 173mph on the summit of Cairn Gorm on 20th March 1986. The highest wind speed at low level is 142mph at Fraserburgh, Scotland on 13th February 1989.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This report on EDIS this morning
"The A82, the main artery for the second largest town in the Highlands, has been closed indefinitely after it suffered a landslide between Fort William and Corray Ferry. The stretch had been due to close tonight for the weekend to allow a 250 tonne rock on the hill above to be removed. Motorists had to make a lengthy detour after fallen trees shut the Fort William to Inverness stretch of the A82 at Letterfinlay. The detour was on the A86 from Spean Bridge along Loch Laggan to the A9, which was itself later blocked at Dalwhinnie. Meanwhile, part of a roof was blown on to the Fort William bypass between the town and Loch Linnhe. Several lorries were blown over in Glencoe and a bus had its windscreen blown in by the wind, although no-one was injured. Fallen trees blocked the B863 between Ballachulish and Kinlochleven; the B849 between Lochaline and Drimin; and the B8007 between Salen and Kilchoan. A power line was brought down at Drumsallie, in the hills to the west of Loch Eil. A static caravan was blown over in Lochailort on the road to Mallaig and one person received slight injuries. Belford Hospital in Fort William at one point had no power and its phone networks were down. Mid Highland Community Health Partnership general manager Gill McVicar said: "Staff from our estates department will be working with the power company and telephone provider to restore services as quickly as possible. We are working with the Scottish Ambulance Service and hospitals in Oban and Inverness have been informed in case casualties need to be diverted there." Chief Inspector Philip MacRae said: "We are dealing with a number of incidents across the force area, particularly in Lochaber where there is a high level of disruption."

I am sure there will be more as the day progresses.

@ woogleuk....what a mess! So sorry for your friend. Hope they (HA) get on his case asap!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

edit on 9-12-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

Because there is no comparison, I replied to this thread because I am very interested in meteorology and wanted to reassure you that you are safe and that minimal damage is at best. Please do prepare but don’t over react, for instance if you have a high profile vehicle don't drive at winds 60mph or above. Apparently I come off way to sarcastic and know it all for you brits. In reality I will be very blunt about these situations, I hope no life is lost but I’m not doomsday or unrealistic. If you all don’t like my tone I really don’t care, I was just trying to inform you that your house isn’t about be torn to pieces and your dogs caught in an updraft. Just take it easy do about your daily business and all is well. I got the feel from this thread as many others that earth is collapsing global warming is killing us all and everyone’s going to die, I just wanted to add a breath of sanity to this thread. Danke Schoen

Unfortunately i would say you have misinterpreted the mood / feel of the thread. Nearly all of us are Brits and no one has been claiming it is the end of the world. And if it was most of us on this thread would probably be on a new thread laughing about that too - just the way we are programmed. Personally i would much prefer to be that way than overly serious about everything but maybe that is just me?

Anyhoo, cheers for the concern but we are ok thanks.
edit on 9-12-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by neotech1neothink
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Hey Dr Hammond Stoat,

Sorry to hear about your mum but at least now she is safe in her "yaktraks". These were 2nd on my list, but settled on the "diamond grips" which ticked ALL of my boxes!

edit on 8-12-2011 by neotech1neothink because: (no reason given)

Thanks neotech, she is fine now but it took about a year to heal and she couldn't drive, cook etc. It's really worth getting some grips as you say. I see so many people in this city who insist on wearing ridiculously impractical footwear in the winter!

Glad everyone came through the storm relatively unscathed. It seems we might still need to keep an eye on trampolines, pets ,knickers etc. If Mr/Ms Mcleod is correct about the next few days.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

Originally posted by neotech1neothink
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Hey Dr Hammond Stoat,

Sorry to hear about your mum but at least now she is safe in her "yaktraks". These were 2nd on my list, but settled on the "diamond grips" which ticked ALL of my boxes!

edit on 8-12-2011 by neotech1neothink because: (no reason given)

Thanks neotech, she is fine now but it took about a year to heal and she couldn't drive, cook etc. It's really worth getting some grips as you say. I see so many people in this city who insist on wearing ridiculously impractical footwear in the winter!

Glad everyone came through the storm relatively unscathed. It seems we might still need to keep an eye on trampolines, pets ,knickers etc. If Mr/Ms Mcleod is correct about the next few days.

Mr McLeod

Looking this morning again at the models, it is looking like a severe storm on the 13th for Northern Britain, with a secondary sever storm possibly hitting the Channel area a couple of days later. Next week could see 2 major storms, possibly worse than yesterday.

The second storm would affect the greatest populated area in Europe, London and Holland.

Will update over the weekend.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
This is what happens when wind turbines meet 165mph winds.

Awesome.

I'm betting that's what happens when a blind knicker wearing seagull gets sucked into one.

Well, I hope everyone is well. This mornings glorious.
Nothing like a bit of wind to clear out the cobwebs.

edit on 9-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Watch out for knicker-blinded seagulls suicide diving your wind turbines armed with rolling trampolines! The pressure has begun to drop in Russia now, around Moscow it is dropping 0.5 mmHg/hour. And the temperature is rising by 1 deg/hour. So now we're at 748.5 mmHg and -2 C It's the storm I tellya! It's coming ! Oh I can smell it, and my elderly relative can feel it in her joints. How big it will get is another question though, no seas to feed it moisture here.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join