It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
reply to post by moosevernel

Yes they seem to know vaguely what's going to happen
I suppose it could be better or worse than they
say.

The met office's warning is actually for snow, not ice, I read the symbol wrong!

i find its normally worse haha

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Ape
Best sort out my Thermals I'm right up North on the Wall.

I guess Nedd Stark was right "Winter is Coming".

Peace

Rock Ape

Don't you have a nice furry direwolf to cuddle up to?

Sorry, that was slightly off topic.....

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Wouldn't it be more fun if the heading read:

Major UK Winter Snow fight 9th December 2012

No but seroiusly thanks for the heads up.

ALS

Have you heard about a rash of cases when kids have been dropping Ice blocks from Motorway bridges onto oncoming traffic. I have think there have been 4 cases in the last 2 days.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
reply to post by jrmcleod

The met office have a slightly different forecast. They are saying there will be 40 mph winds in the north and up to 60 in some parts of Scotland and the whole thing will start to calm down on Friday.They don't always get it right, I think the last time (this year) the met office warned about a storm for northern England it was really quite mild. Their weather warning is of ice and not wind anyway even thought it's obviously going to be gale force winds

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Having said that it's good to be cautious and prepared.

The Met are not releasing further details yet because of the uncertainty, however, ALL of the models are pointing to a severe low pressure for Friday. The Met will update their site with Alerts probably later today or tomorrow.

Watch and See...

I'll definitely be watching the weather, thanks for the warning.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Best sort out my Thermals I'm right up North on the Wall.

I guess Nedd Stark was right "Winter is Coming".

Peace

Rock Ape

watch out for white walkers pal

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I seem to remember a wee little storm that caused a small issue.
Almost a year ago to the day.
hmmph!

Stay warm.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I actually think most people are prepared for a shocking winter this year. Months back we were being sold proper snow shovels (when did we barely see any sold before then?) and all over the TV and shops people have been ushered towards stocking up on their own supplies of salt to keep paths clear - not to mention those groovy snow shoe grip things.
Plus if I had elderly neighbours, those snuggie blankets are so bloody cheap now. About £4 - £7 in the shops everyone could probably fork out and treat someone you know.

All that aside, being in the Midlands and not even having a proper sniff of snow yet I'd appreciate if all you Scots and Northeners could blow some my way when it hits you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Are we all good down South? Can't seem to see anything on weather reports. I'm in Reading.

Got a big Footy game Sunday - will be gutted if its called off!!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
Just realised I'm South of Manchester... Nottinghamshire to be precise... does that mean no snow?

Personally i'd say there is the opportunity for snow ANYWHERE in the UK - Worst further north though

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bridge_Boy
Are we all good down South? Can't seem to see anything on weather reports. I'm in Reading.

Got a big Footy game Sunday - will be gutted if its called off!!

The worst will pass through by Sunday. The biggest areas of concern are North of Manchester for Wind and Snow but the entire East Coast for the storm surge.

You'll struggle to find much on it just now because major weather companies will be still figuring out the finer details because of its severity. They need to issue alerts and flashes so they need to do this with a degree of accuracy. 48 hours out is still subject to change but not in terms of the actual weather event, only the details.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
No wonder the Met' Office are staying tight lipped . Remember this ?

www.youtube.com...

What followed was one of the worst storms in modern times for the UK and 19 people died .

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I seem to remember a wee little storm that caused a small issue.
Almost a year ago to the day.
hmmph!

Stay warm.

If any of you remember January 1984, this storm is similar to that. There is the possibility that this storm could instigate a prolonged period of cold weather (similar to last year), but that's a bit distant just now. If it does, we're looking at a greater chance of a White Christmas for a lot of us...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
No wonder the Met' Office are staying tight lipped . Remember this ?

www.youtube.com...

What followed was one of the worst storms in modern times for the UK and many people died .

Couple this with winds directly from the north pole with a windchill below -15oC, blizzard conditions and a storm surge. Then we have whats forecast for Friday and Friday Night

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
On a more serious note, I've just checked out the MET office website and there is indeed a severe weather warning for Scotland, Northern Ireland and NorthEast England on Thursday evening through to Friday.

"Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today"
"It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?"

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Wouldn't it be more fun if the heading read:

Major UK Winter Snow fight 9th December 2012

No but seroiusly thanks for the heads up.

ALS

Have you heard about a rash of cases when kids have been dropping Ice blocks from Motorway bridges onto oncoming traffic. I have think there have been 4 cases in the last 2 days.

Heard about this...scary stuff. Aren't they being tried for attempted murder? Or is that when they throw block of stone off of the over passes?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

On a more serious note, I've just checked out the MET office website and there is indeed a severe weather warning for Scotland, Northern Ireland and NorthEast England on Thursday evening through to Friday.

"Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today"
"It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?"

Peace

Rock Ape

This will be upgraded nearer the time for damaging winds and a storm surge. I think the warning is for Snow at present...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

I thought it was concrete they'd been molding in buckets. The road in Essex right?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

If any of you remember January 1984, this storm is similar to that. There is the possibility that this storm could instigate a prolonged period of cold weather (similar to last year), but that's a bit distant just now. If it does, we're looking at a greater chance of a White Christmas for a lot of us...

I remember that. Was living in Ipswich then.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Does anybody know of any sites that have up to the minute satellite images for the UK ?

2nd line

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Well it look like you are right!

The met office have issued a take action warning (red on the maps). I have never seen this before

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join