It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I'm just outside East Kilbride, near GLASGOW, Scotland, and the wind has been building up all day.
No real damage yet, but I've just shot a short video clip - to give you an idea of the wind strength here now!
Enjoy!

LINK TO WIND VIDEO ON YOUTUBE

regards,

GTD
edit on 8-12-2011 by Gordi The Drummer because: Edit to remove malformed video id

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Reports coming in of a max gust a low levels in Stornoway of 101mph.

Also reports that the Clyde has officially burst its banks in Glasgow and is flooding the City.

Hearing rumours of a collapsed building in Glasgow but still trying to find sources.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
I'd just like to put out a word of thought to those people who are out in the North Sea just now who will be right in the line of fire in the next few hours.

The LP is set to intensify sightly as it heads NE over Scotland. With a record wind speed of 165mph already detected. Those people on the rigs and vessels could be in for a VERY rough ride.

Miles of open sea will allow the waves and winds to become very big

Lets hope loved ones are OK...

Yo Jr, just off the blower to a few guys out on the rigs at the moment. all hatches battoned down, nothing scare these boys. They are chasing me for equipment deliveries and have advised that supply boats are due back out as of saturday. Everything locked down at ports until then

All sitting NE of scotland at the moment.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Just seen a cat blown off a roof into a tree then drop to the ground..

Not a fricken scratch!

Just ran off into someones garden

lucky bugger

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Report of a Tornado on the ground in Largs, Scotland earlier

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Up to 12,000 homes in Perthshire without electricity. Wonder what the final total will be later? Lights flickering here too.

Source

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hearing on radio BBC news and also some blogs nothing confimred most of Scotland in Blackout Power, no electricity, cobra meeting being planned for essential stuff hospitals etc.

Again nothing confirmed but tweets some early BBC reports and also lost of online.

Hope all are well, look after the elderley and frail esp with no electricity and this cold weather.

Prayers with all.

Send me the Drs Wife Knickers if they land in Scotland

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
what about us dutch folk ?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yikes.

Wind Turbine here in Scotland, wonder what wind speed caused this.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Add
15. cat

Things looking serious now.
BBC reporting engineers from Wales (that'll be my cousin on his way up again then!) and other parts of UK heading up.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Yikes.

Judging by the effectiveness of some of them i have seen on my travels around the country, im thinking around 15 m.p.h!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

A really great photo looks awesome !
I am in the central belt of Scotland and it is WILD oot there still got power as of 16:40 lights have been flickering all day ,I hope peoples power is back on asap must be freezing without it .

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Yikes.

Judging by the effectiveness of some of them i have seen on my travels around the country, im thinking around 15 m.p.h!

Your probably right.

2nd!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheniks
what about us dutch folk ?

I've been thinking about this too. The storm surge is predicted for the east coast (North Sea) to coincide with the high tide and full moon. Is this a serious test of Holland's barriers?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
BBC news was just reporting they have had 165 MPH gusts in parts of Scotland!
Does anyone know if that is a record?
It sounds like one to me..
Stay safe up there folks.

edit on 8/12/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: numbers

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
BBC news was just reporting they have had 165 MPH gusts in parts of Scotland!
Does anyone know if that is a record?
It sounds like one to me..
Stay safe up there folks.

edit on 8/12/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: numbers

The UK Record is 173mph, the record gust for this storm so far is 165mph. There is an unofficial UK record of 192mph though but it wasnt "officially measured" so they don't include it.

All records past and present were on the summit of Cairngorm Mountain at a height of around 1300m
edit on 8/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
They also reported on their 'ticker tape' that a building has partially collapsed
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
They also reported on their 'ticker tape' that a building has partially collapsed
Rainbows
Jane

Yeah trying to find more info on that...can't find anything yet! Do you have info?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
According to the news a building in the west end of Glasgow has partially collapsed. I also heard rumours (via facebook, so I'm dubious) that a double-decker bus was blown over in Glasgow city centre.

Still pretty wild here in South Lanarkshire but no real damage in my local area yet that I know of.

As for the clyde bursting its banks, kinda lucky as I live on higher ground, hope it's not true although I heard from a few people who passed over the river earlier today that the water levels had risen dramatically.

I think the worst is still to come here...least we've still got power for now.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Such nice images of a funnel and a wind turbine fire due to overheating. Oh Deity, please let the storm reach Moscow without loosing strength. My soul longs to experience a hurricane again. Just when I was a youngster, cycling my way around Norway's south coast in a school competition. Came second, but it left a mark for life.

To set the mood a translation from Russian of "The Sail" by Lermontov taken from here

A lonely sail's beneath the heaven.
The mist is blue. The sail's within.
What does it seek in distant haven?
What was abandoned herein?

The waves are wild, the wind is shrilly,
And mast has bowed with a creak!
But no, not luck it's seeking really,
Nor from the luck it's fleeing weak!

An azure stream is gently luring,
A golden ray is mild and warm...
But it's the storm it seeks, enduring --
As if the rest is in the storm!