It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Still can't see one, but you are right, I do say "Jesus", if you noticed the camera lurches violently upwards....that was a nasty gust trying to play woogle bowling.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Nothing like trying to roll your own in high winds.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We don't have the wind but have just been put on alert for East coast floods. High tides and wind don't mix much.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
reply to post by angelchemuel

Add some empty Asda Bags from my bin now at about 8000 ft and 10metres per second speed heading towards the Severn.

Seagulls ive never seen them move so fast and looking mean

About 10 mins ago whilst assessing the danger from UFOs and any risks inherent from sorting out the bar coded bin (weird that why why why what they dont know is me and my neighbour swapped the codes lol) before the killer birds attacked me, I surveyed the scene of liberated rubbish across the road by the back door having a coffee and going out for a quick smoke.

There is an cigarrette paper, filter, and about 1/3rd of a pack of Golden Virginia last spotted about 90ft height doing an unknown but fast speed towards the Brecon Beacons. All of these objects are seperate and not together but heading in the general same direction.

Kind Regards,

Elf

EDIT to add there is now an piece of willow fence about 4ft by about 1/4 an inch also starting to make it quite high dont think it will stay up for long, trying its bests rolling, jumping up and them tumbling down.

If they land with me can i smoke them or do you want them returning?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'd just like to put out a word of thought to those people who are out in the North Sea just now who will be right in the line of fire in the next few hours.

The LP is set to intensify sightly as it heads NE over Scotland. With a record wind speed of 165mph already detected. Those people on the rigs and vessels could be in for a VERY rough ride.

Miles of open sea will allow the waves and winds to become very big

Lets hope loved ones are OK...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Lol...

lol not a lot happens in Scotland,i'm guessing this was more than likely the highlight of his life

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Absolutely, just been discussing this with a friend (and work colleague). We have a couple of friends whose fathers run fishing boats from the North Sea coast (Hull and Whitby). Usually, they manage to either get away from the storms or manage to get to safe shelter. We were just saying we hope they have managed it today, not a good storm to be caught in. They often head up to the Faroes which im thinking would not be a good thing in current conditions!

Just thankful i do not have to do that for a living!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Quite agree on that
have enough colleagues and friends out on and servicing the rigs.. It's bad enough on a good day, I dread to think what this could become for them, so everything crossed it passes them by.
edit on 8/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I'd just like to put out a word of thought to those people who are out in the North Sea just now who will be right in the line of fire in the next few hours.

The LP is set to intensify sightly as it heads NE over Scotland. With a record wind speed of 165mph already detected. Those people on the rigs and vessels could be in for a VERY rough ride.

Miles of open sea will allow the waves and winds to become very big

Lets hope loved ones are OK...

And not only that, solitons, aka Killer Waves are bound to strike somewhere today and tomorrow. Let's hope it won't be an oil platform outside the coast of Norway. I rather like that country. I've heard a lot about them waves, most recently a 35 meter wave crashed into the west coast of Norway under their last storm. And around UK a ship with Russian sailors was broken in half by another huge wave, only three of the crew on 15-17 were rescued from the sea.
edit on 8/12/2011 by RumET because: Added a little something on killer soliton waves.

On another note.

www.radarspotters.eu went down for me, the owner is in the UK, so I think the power got knocked out. And it's a rather large site as well. So have lots of water and backup power, in case the power goes out on you. And please be safe everyone. My thoughts are with you.
edit on 8/12/2011 by RumET because: Added some information of a downed UK website.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
JRMCLEOD just out of curiosity did you film the trampoline ?
Sorry mods for a one line reply

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

The first measured the rogue waves on a North Sea oil rig didn't they? Proving they were fact rather than maritime folklore. Im thinking there will be quite a few rogue waves with this storm.

Every time i have been on a ferry (5 in total) there have been force 11 gales at some stage of the journey! Even in huge ferries, it can get a bit unnerving watching waves break on the viewing windows! (for the record, i love it every time but am always scared witless). Imagine it in a tiny fishing boat!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
JRMCLEOD just out of curiosity did you film the trampoline ?
Sorry mods for a one line reply

No, i didn't film it. I saw it on a live feed from the daily record...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Well its a nice way to be blinded, lucky seagull lol

reply to post by Flavian

Well I will u2u my address, if you could dry them out first, that very kind!

Seriously guys this is strange the wind, its very in South Wales non directional as such extreme from west one minute and then East Next, then just straight up or down.

A weird storm in this regards, have not seen this sort of weather close to sea level before, much when up Snowdon/Vrecon/lake district or Travelling abroad High up or on an cyclone path, never so close to ground level before.

Strange indeed.

Elf

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Lol...

Someone has posted a Wiki page on our "Hurricane Bawbag"...and it isn't even over yet...

WIKI

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

To be honest I am not sure, tho I have been caught out at sea enough times to shudder at the thought. (even though it is rather exhilarating
) With that in mind I can't help but send my best wishes to all those caught in this.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
OK I forgot

10.wigs
11.Morrison/Asda carrier bags
Add
12.willow fencing
13.knicker wearing seagul (pervy!)
14.Met office flags

@Suspiria, already had a hit of SC...just enjoying this thread so much, all the giggling is keeping me warm!
@thePeaceMaker...you've lost the knickers, Suspira spotted a seagul wearing them...you'll have to be quicker!
@Free4Ever2...nice bit of incoming sea you have going on there
@MischeviousElf...Goodo..could do with some extra baccy...just hope it gets past the Beacons!

On a serious note...Mr McLeod sir...looking at picture posted from Troon, and having lived up in Aberdeen for 10 years, and coming from a seadaring family (yes that is a deliberate mis-spell!), do you have any idea of the tidal surges and where we might expect them?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Lol...

Someone has posted a Wiki page on our "Hurricane Bawbag"...and it isn't even over yet...

WIKI

Fantastic

That has made my day.. will be waiting with baited breath hoping the BBC give Bawbag a mention

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In Saddleworth, manchester, we're quite high up here and it's starting now. looks like it's gonna be a bad one

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Lol...

WIKI

People are selling T-shirts to commemorate the event apparently!

Maybe someone will do one with a rampaging trampoline on it

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Lol...

WIKI

If the one on the 18th progresses into a full blown hurricane, im proposing naming it Hurricane Buckfast. What say you?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join