It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply
reply to post by moosevernel

Ahaaa...one of our favourite activities here in the UK is moaning about the weather, we do love a good moan I must admit, and since the weather here is mostly awful it's always a good starting point for going off on one.

They should have a moaning event at the olympics and we cmight actually win some medals...it'd be great, but we'd still complain.

Sorry off topic briefly .. If we won medals in moaning we would then moan that the medals we got weren't real. WHAAAAT? This isn't a REAL gold medal

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by jrmcleod

Oh dear, imagine being taken out by a giant Christmas bauble.

Well ok but Christmas season or not it better buy the drinks if it wants showing a good time!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Suspiria

Oh dear, imagine being taken out by a giant Christmas bauble.

Well ok but Christmas season or not it better buy the drinks if it wants showing a good time!

^^ funniest thing i have read all day..thankyou

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Building roof collapsed in Elgin, Scotland injuring 2 people. Multiple lorries over turned near Ranoch Moor. Doesnt surprise me with gusts of wind exceeding 150mph.

ETA: Another injured after caravan blows onto them.

ETA: Rood blown off of building in Fort William, Scotland onto bypass. No repoprts of injuries as of yet.

It would appear the storm is peaking...
edit on 8/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Building roof collapsed in Elgin, Scotland injuring 2 people. Multiple lorries over turned near Ranoch Moor. Doesnt surprise me with gusts of wind exceeding 150mph.

not surprising at all, lets hope nothing tragic happens up there i have family in Glasgow.

Stay safe..!!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow, this thread has grown since my last post! I've just have and idea, perhaps the chaps in the middle of it could set up a live HD webcam stream including sound for us poor Russians, who can't afford to pay, even for a good storm?

Seems to me we are way behind every civilized European on storms, not counting the tornadoes in 198? and 2008. I am a hobby meteorologist hooked on severe weather events, and I am currently trying to compile my own WRF weather model (Anyone with some compiling knowledge can have their own prediction center at home! www.wrf-model.org... Enjoy!)

But it fails so far, and I need to rely on 3rd party websites to keep updated on the latest satpics and synop data. So if you are so kind, set up a HD feed of the raging force of nature and link us up. I'm tired of live feeds of protesters getting beaten, I am sure many would concur that we need some relaxation.

A big thank you from the ever weather-boring Moscow Region.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel

Originally posted by samerulesapply
reply to post by moosevernel

Ahaaa...one of our favourite activities here in the UK is moaning about the weather, we do love a good moan I must admit, and since the weather here is mostly awful it's always a good starting point for going off on one.

They should have a moaning event at the olympics and we cmight actually win some medals...it'd be great, but we'd still complain.

Its a grand idea..!! Then we could have the first ever OAP olympic gold medalist

I'm a decent moaner but I'd like proper training from my grandmother, who is a potential gold medalist if ever there was one. My granda was even better but sadly he ain't around no more.

Women moan well and more often but in my opinion men are better moaners...they do it less often but they do it with more conviction, we even had a tv show about an old guy who moaned all the time about anything and everything and it was really popular...was great...i mean, er...it was awful, I hated it.

Sigh, what an awful day.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Interesting to read a thread with mostly all United Kingdomers. Different words, and slang.

But, back on topic, we had a crazy wind storm blow through Southern California a week ago. Nothing in comparison of this one you speak of in terms of temperature, but we had the gale force winds. Parts of Los angeles lost power, with 80 mph gusts taking out whole lines of power in some cities, not to mention all the trees. The eletricity is still out some areas, over a week later. Our now aging infrastructure is really not prepared for major upheavals.(A major problem for all modern cities at this point, I think).

Hope this thing changes course for you guys, but if not, stay in with some egg nog and brandy or whatever suits your fancy.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Haha now you northerners are suffering sorry had to throw that in there. Hope injuries weren't serious. I would offer some space down south so you lot can move to safety but seeing as it's coming up to the festive time of the year .. Sorry but there's no room at the inn

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Right, here we go, prepare for the most boring minute and a half of your lives.

This is Workington shore (it's actually the harbour mouth), about half an hour to an hour ago....it's a lot worse than it looks on the video, you can't even hear my commentary about the UFO seagull! Normally in the background over the sea (solway firth) you can see Scotland, the Isle of man and Northern Ireland, today it's just white.

Sorry for the shaky video, but could I heckers keep the camera still, I was nearly blown over twice!

Lesson learned....riding a mountain bike into 75Mph gusts is very bloody knackering!

edit on 8/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

link   
There are reports of thousands of people being blown away,
Now the space station are reporting they have a crowd of people outside.

link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
Interesting to read a thread with mostly all United Kingdomers. Different words, and slang.

But, back on topic, we had a crazy wind storm blow through Southern California a week ago. Nothing in comparison of this one you speak of in terms of temperature, but we had the gale force winds. Parts of Los angeles lost power, with 80 mph gusts taking out whole lines of power in some cities, not to mention all the trees. The eletricity is still out some areas, over a week later. Our now aging infrastructure is really not prepared for major upheavals.(A major problem for all modern cities at this point, I think).

Hope this thing changes course for you guys, but if not, stay in with some egg nog and brandy or whatever suits your fancy.

Cup of tea please

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Rather have Brandy, but only have Gluwein.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

Good, them southern inns only serve overpriced shandy anyway.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Lol...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Wotcher, guv'na!

You're 'avin a giraffe! Ah'l 'ave you done up like a jack the ripper - mug a warm beer an an 'ob nob for me...'ang about ah'l just park up the pennyfarthing, got a shilling for t'meter?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Good job bring this to the forum, many lives or even a single one may happen because of it.

I cant help think of all of the deadly winds just last week across the US. Couple that with extreme winter weather and it is nothing to take lightly.

I appreciated the poster on page one or two that said to watch out for your elderly citizens and vulnerable neighbors.

Be safe my friends.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

OK, that beats my video by 7 LOLs to 1!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Just to let you all know, we are currently only 8mph away from breaking the all time strongest wind gust in the UK with a recorded wind speed of 165mph on Cairngorm.

Wow...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Trampoline! Trampoline! House! House! (Reminded me of the movie 'Twister' with it's "Cow, we have cows! / "Look another cow! No I think it's the same one." ) - Keep your cows safe in high wind conditions, spare someone the possible heart attack of seeing an actual flying cow!

And here's the clip, for those who haven't seen 'Twister'. Sorry if a tad off-top. But the wind speed in the scene is comparable to what the UK is getting now.

edit on 8/12/2011 by RumET because: Added a 'Twister' clip.

I just can't stop grinning, I know it's bad and all... but I just can't stop grinning. Thank you thread for lifting some of my opposition+arrest burden and giving me a good laugh.
edit on 8/12/2011 by RumET because: Added how I felt about it/the whole thread after trampoline! post.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join