It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Its getting serious people...

The Met Office has issued a red alert weather warning after forecasting what it is describing as the country's most severe storm in decades with the Central region expected to be hit by devastating hurricane-force winds gusting up to 100mph on Thursday. The latest update from the Met Office has led to a recommendation from the Scottish Government that all schools and colleges on the west coast should remain closed, whilst pupils in the east of the country should travel home at lunchtime. Police are also expected to take the unprecedented step of advising motorists across the country to stay at home if possible and avoid using the roads altogether when the storm is at its height. An emergency meeting of the Scottish Cabinet took place late on Wednesday night and the Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said afterwards; “Having considered the updated information received from the Met Office tonight, the police have advised that there is a probability that they will change their travel advice in the coming hours from warning about a high risk of disruption to a position where they will advise drivers to avoid travelling on the roads in the affected areas. The warnings are of the highest level of seriousness and we are clear that safety has to be the paramount issue.” Police are warning that travel conditions on Thursday will be “extremely poor” with “significant delays” and a “severe impact” on the evening rush hour. All main bridges, including the Forth Road Bridge, are likely to be closed whilst trees and vehicles are at a high risk of being blown over. The Met Office’s red alert level severe weather warning covers Lothian and the Borders, Strathclyde, Central, Fife, Tayside and all of south-west Scotland. Airports, rail services, public transport and roads will all be severely disrupted during the storm. Travellers are advised to closely monitor the situation using social media, TV and local radio updates

ETA.

JUST TO ADD. A 130MPH GUST OF WIND HAS BEEN RECORDED AT ANOCH BEAG IN THE SCOTTISH MOUNTAINS AT A HEIGHT OF 1000M.

HURRICANE FORCE INDEED
edit on 8/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Really? Does this even need a thread?

It's a little blowy, not really unusual for the UK. Some areas might experience a little damage but this is hardly newsworthy.
As usual in the UK we get weather a little bigger than normal and it's turned into some apocalyptic event in our media, it's needless. It'll probably affect a couple of thousand people with some inconvenience and maybe a few trees will fall over - hardly anything to get all excited about.

The question should not be " Does this really need a thread " .
The question should be " Does this thread really need you "

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

Haha, i just had to drag my puppy out for him to do a pee, this is his first winter, he wasnt happy,
Id better get my washing in, theres some really nice knickers on there that i dont wanna lose.

Also stay safe everyone, and for those driving, take your time, it dont matter if your late for work or whatever, just take it easy.
im gonna go and see the old man across the road, see if he needs anything.

DAMN its cold!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

somebodys very large tampoline just blew out of thier garden over the 7 ft fence and into the backs almost killing the workers who are out building my wall ( i really feel sorry for those guys).... so i say that is a reminder to people to stay safe..and be aware of high speed trampolines

Oh God...I am so enjoying this thread! Makes such a change to all the dour threads...which have their point. Typical Brit humour in light of disaster/emergency...you can't get any better!
Make that thread "UFO's spotted in NW England" now!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Good news link there .... Note the chap just after 1 min and remember this is Scotland. Not all staggering about is caused by the strong wind !!!!
(only joking Scottish peeps)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just to add, a gust of 130mph has been recorded in Scotland, with the height of the storm still to arrive

Those in Scotland. BBC Radio Scotland will be airing a special program on this storm as of 2pm today. Tune in to keep up to date with travel limitations.

Radio Scotland - LIVE
edit on 8/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

somebodys very large tampoline just blew out of thier garden over the 7 ft fence and into the backs almost killing the workers who are out building my wall ( i really feel sorry for those guys).... so i say that is a reminder to people to stay safe..and be aware of high speed trampolines

Oh God...I am so enjoying this thread! Makes such a change to all the dour threads...which have their point. Typical Brit humour in light of disaster/emergency...you can't get any better!

Rainbows
Jane

Ahh, he could only do that if he'd filmed it. 'Pics or it didn't happen'! We would have people analysing it for years to come

On the subject of humour, the scots have christened this storm 'Hurricane Bawbag'.

entertainment.stv.tv...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

i just had to drag my puppy out for him to do a pee,

I couldn't even get mine out the front door. He's only a little thing and dug his little paws into the doorway after seeing what was outside. (I picked him up, took him back upstairs and put him in the cat tray where he happily done the deed. I now have a very miffed cat.)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yorkshire will be OK!

Keep safe, smiling helps, we make better decisions when happy

Love

Elf

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Originally posted by tpg65

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Really? Does this even need a thread?

It's a little blowy, not really unusual for the UK. Some areas might experience a little damage but this is hardly newsworthy.
As usual in the UK we get weather a little bigger than normal and it's turned into some apocalyptic event in our media, it's needless. It'll probably affect a couple of thousand people with some inconvenience and maybe a few trees will fall over - hardly anything to get all excited about.

The question should not be " Does this really need a thread " .
The question should be " Does this thread really need you "

Haha, i just had to drag my puppy out for him to do a pee, this is his first winter, he wasnt happy,
Id better get my washing in, theres some really nice knickers on there that i dont wanna lose.

Also stay safe everyone, and for those driving, take your time, it dont matter if your late for work or whatever, just take it easy.
im gonna go and see the old man across the road, see if he needs anything.

DAMN its cold!!!

How is the weather effecting Wales ?
Bless you for looking after the old man

Ok folks there are gonna be some weird UFO reports tonight .
Some ufo's will resemble somebody being dragged by a kite , another will look like a giant trampoline and another will look like very posh knickers over Wales

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'm gonna head down to the shore now and get a few minutes of video, will upload when I get back, probably a pointless exercise, but it's not like I have anything better to do. BBIAB. lol.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I'm gonna head down to the shore now and get a few minutes of video, will upload when I get back, probably a pointless exercise, but it's not like I have anything better to do. BBIAB. lol.

Stay safe matey .
Can't wait to see your upload

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Rainbows
Jane

Hey Jane, look at the word trampoline, do you think a TAMPOLINE, is a cross between a lillet and a trampoline? just some more brit humour to cheer us up in this horrid weather.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
White Christmas anyone?????

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Rainbows
Jane

Hey Jane, look at the word trampoline, do you think a TAMPOLINE, is a cross between a lillet and a trampoline? just some more brit humour to cheer us up in this horrid weather.

I don't think I would like to be hit by a giant TAMPOLINE travelling at high speeds

Especially a used one ( sorry . I couldn't resist )

I have visions of it bouncing off me , then coming back to hit me again , due to the ferocious wind

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

The more i look at these maps, the more convinced i am that we need towing south for the winter!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Wind and rain really picking up here in Stockport!

The decorative arch in my garden, is now a decorative arch in next doors garden

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Nope, my house needs towing a bit further north.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Recycling collections here tomorrow - i would like to thank the wind for rendering my personal collection pointless as it is now spread around the neighborhood!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by Flavian

Nope, my house needs towing a bit further north.

Was getting all confused myself when typing that! I half want the snow and half want the beach

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
haha to you guys who responded since i was out driving...

that'll teach me to proof read my posts

the builders have now thrown the tRampoline back in the garden and all is well...seems to have calmed down a bit now.

infact its eerily silent with no cars going past my house (im on a main road) like ive slipped into the twilight zone lol

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join