It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
What would the wind chill be on the 18th should the hurricane hit? anyone?

That isn't a hurricane, well not classed as one as it didnt originate off of west africa. Looking at it, with isobars so closely packed, winds would most definately exceed 100+mph with sustained winds close to or above 80mph.

Add in the fact that the winds are direct from the North Pole, i would hazard that the scottish mountains would feel a windchill of below -30oC.

Lowland areas robably around -15oC.

Bear in mind that this is the a model prediction. If it verifies through other models i will put together a seperate thread...it will need one!

The weather forums are already juming up and down about this model run. We'll get a better idea in the next couple 5-7 days so stay tuned

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm in Eccles , Manchester .
The wind is gusting now and getting stronger .

I have to drive to work for the next 4 nights , so I hope the roads remain clear .

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
74Mph winds here in West Cumbria at last observation, and climbing.........might get the kite out.

I'll keep an eye out for you if you go flying past!

Watch the threads pop op about UFO spotted over Cumbria! Lol!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Really? Does this even need a thread?

It's a little blowy, not really unusual for the UK. Some areas might experience a little damage but this is hardly newsworthy.
As usual in the UK we get weather a little bigger than normal and it's turned into some apocalyptic event in our media, it's needless. It'll probably affect a couple of thousand people with some inconvenience and maybe a few trees will fall over - hardly anything to get all excited about.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
What would the wind chill be on the 18th should the hurricane hit? anyone?

That isn't a hurricane, well not classed as one as it didnt originate off of west africa. Looking at it, with isobars so closely packed, winds would most definately exceed 100+mph with sustained winds close to or above 80mph.

Add in the fact that the winds are direct from the North Pole, i would hazard that the scottish mountains would feel a windchill of below -30oC.

Lowland areas robably around -15oC.

Bear in mind that this is the a model prediction. If it verifies through other models i will put together a seperate thread...it will need one!

The weather forums are already juming up and down about this model run. We'll get a better idea in the next couple 5-7 days so stay tuned

Don't think ive ever seen such a tightly packed LP /isobars, looks pretty bad, is there going to be heavy snowfall if this should happen? any predictions on how much there could be? mixed in with those wind it could look pretty spectacular afterward,

I certainly think it needs it own thread thanks for the info

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
wind just really picked up here just north of manchester.

And i gotta go on my driving lesson now...haha hope it calms down

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

It's a little blowy, not really unusual for the UK. Some areas might experience a little damage but this is hardly newsworthy.
As usual in the UK we get weather a little bigger than normal and it's turned into some apocalyptic event in our media, it's needless. It'll probably affect a couple of thousand people with some inconvenience and maybe a few trees will fall over - hardly anything to get all excited about.

The question should not be " Does this really need a thread " .
The question should be " Does this thread really need you "

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Maybe so...but there are people here who would like to learn about reading weather charts and the such. I have learnt a lot about EQ's and volcanoes, especially the Etna thread just by following these threads. Besides we are doing the typical British thing and having a laugh about the weather.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JessopJessopJessop
Not too bad where I am just off of the Bowland Fells(Lancashire/Yorkshire border specifically, few miles out from Burnley). I wouldn't want to be on top of Pendle hill at the moment though
Cat just wandered in the house a few moments ago, soaking wet, didn't look best pleased
edit on 8-12-2011 by JessopJessopJessop because: (no reason given)

I'm on the inland from Whitby side of the North Yorkshire Moors and it's bloody cold ... wet (literally there are clouds of rain blowing past my window) ... windy ... and my cat hasn't ventured out for hours

Stay dry ... stay safe folks.

Edit to add ... wytch by name and wytch by nature (the real deal) just read about the buried 'witch' cottage they found near Pendle Hill ... keep us posted in a new thread if you hear anything of interest seeing as you're on the spot so to speak

Woody

edit on 8-12-2011 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
wind just really picked up here just north of manchester.

And i gotta go on my driving lesson now...haha hope it calms down

It has indeed! I'm in the centre more or less and there's an ominous howling type of sound which I think must be a result of the wind whipping around the tower blocks.

Glad I don't have to venture out today.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

somebodys very large tampoline just blew out of thier garden over the 7 ft fence and into the backs almost killing the workers who are out building my wall ( i really feel sorry for those guys).... so i say that is a reminder to people to stay safe..and be aware of high speed trampolines

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is getting serious . My wheely bin just blew over ...... It's in my shed

Seriously though . Winds have increased in the last hour . Heavy rain and it's gone really dark .The street lights have come on ( unusual for 13:00 ),

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Hi Guys n Gals

Was just watching this weather report, and thought I'd share...

BBC Weather

You gotta love the kid, using his jacket as a sail to get some air... And them poor Swans

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

Jeebus! That would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

I've been meaning to remove the pots from my balcony, they've been know to get blown off in high winds. I'm going to do it now.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Lol

My wheelie bin just attacked my car, and decided to spread it contents across the street.

No Mean feat as it was at least 9 feet away before it attacked!

All the Aerials are dancing to a an anciant tune.

An observation on Birds, though many have gone as Migration some still here and migrating for now here winter ones from North etc.

Why oh Why are Seagulls and Pigeons soo stupid?

They always seem to be the only Birds attempting to fly when there are high winds, funny but tragic to watch, I am sure they are the "rebels" and "extreme sports" type of the Bird World.

Stay Safe all esp at Sea in north or if out in the hills.

When I was a Lad used to have to carry two sheep down the mountain with bare hands, naked in these winds just to get a good beating at the end of it.

Normal Welsh/Scottish British weather really, but be safe just be aware and have food, blankets and water torch in your car spare fuel to or full tank before heading out if far north.

Love

Elf
edit on 8-12-2011 by MischeviousElf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

It most certainly would bring snow, and probably a lot of it...how much? That's anyone's guess!

I'll create a thread if and when necessary to elaborate further on why, how, when and where (if verification)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Ape
Hi Guys n Gals

Was just watching this weather report, and thought I'd share...

BBC Weather

You gotta love the kid, using his jacket as a sail to get some air... And them poor Swans

Peace

Rock Ape

Looking pretty serious up there .
Thanks for the link

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
STV are providing a live webcam from the roof of STV studios on the river Clyde.

Click here

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Hubby has just phoned from Bolton. Winds have just hit there and his double decker lorry is rocking really hard with tons of goods inside. Work of unloading has been called off as its too dangerous. He is now stuck on a night out. He will have to sleep in the office.
Hope he will be ok

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
An Update as of 1330

All flights in and out Edinburgh have been suspended until further notice. All drivers are being advised not to drive in Strathclyde after 2pm (National Radio Advisory). The river Clyde in Glasgow is at dangerously high levels due to tidal blocking. The water cant flow out of the river due to the raised surge from the LP and the coinciding High Tide (image below). If this continues for the next 3 hours we could well see the river Clyde flowing through Glasgow City Centre.

River Clyde - Current

An image of the storm above Scotland - current
edit on 8/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join