It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution of Transportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
We've come a long way since the Model T car and the first Wright brothers plane. We have ferraris and lamborghinis that can reach top speeds of over 200 mph, huge jumbo jets that can fit over 600 passengers, and high-speed railways that can take you to your destination in no time. The progress made in transportation in just the last 100 years is astonishing.

But... what about 20 years from now? 50 years, 100 years, 1,000 years from now? How will transportation evolve? What types of aircraft will there be? What will they look like? When will automobiles become obsolete and no longer exist? Will we have teleportation? Anti-gravity machines that can carry us across the sky from one place to the other? Flying cars like in Back to the Future?...

What are your thoughts on the evolution of transportation?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

if you think about the flying cars thing, think for a minute how hard it can be to join flowing traffic on the road..... now think of that in the sky.... it'd be chaos!!

what i would think would be some kind of satellite guided cars could be in the near future, but who knows after that
edit on 7-12-2011 by fairguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I think in a hundred years we'll look at cars the same way we look at horses as transportation.

I believe the next step of vehicular evolution would be cars that communicate with one another, using sensors to create chain reactions that eliminate the need to brake when the car in front you brakes, eliminate needing to judge whether or not your going the speed limit. kinda like autopilot.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The vehicle is an important invention it is the vessel in which one can travel through space-time but it's implementation is limited thus far. In a far removed space-time one might choose to inhabit a vehicle of their choice. The vehicle is a curiosity from certain points of view and if one envisions a vehicle as simple a means to an end, point A to point B, then one may ask the question is a vehicle necessary to traverse that perceptual area? Or more directly speaking: Is instantaneous transportation a possible "future"?. But I get carried away, cool thread, to myself it seems troubling that we're still waiting for the aeroplane to make its debut as a mass consumable it seems a logical progression and yet little ground has be gained.
edit on 7-12-2011 by usernamehere because: caught in a rant

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
We are a lazy bunch of humans. Who would drive when they can have the car drive you there.

Think of all that driving time as being a waste of time. Unproductive. Your vehicle can now drive itself, you are in a seat in the back of the vehicle, there is a small table in the middle of the vehicle. Get out your laptop or start answering your email, or facebook status from the computerized contact lens in your eye, and get to work on the key specifics and the lay out of the building site you're going to, and what you are going to be doing today, etc.

Driving time will be productive to you. Who wants to drive when the car can do it for you, and you can do other stuff like search the internet on your phone or contact lens.

Tell your car via siri to drive t the closest maccas drive through and order your mcdonalds on the way, and notify mcdonalds that you are arriving in 1 minute 30 seconds so they better start getting your goods ready, to drive by and pay automatically via ur phones credit card, etc.

That's the future of transportation. Have your car drive you where you need to, and pickup goods via drive-through, and relax as the car takes you to your destination. And who says you actually need to be in the car when picking up goods? just have the car open the boot on arrival at destination and have the drive-through guys put it in the trunk and drive the goods back home to you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

That's how I see things progressing and not greater speeds achieved at least on ground public transportation. It's long been established in many big cities with pay roads for locals to have a sensor in their cars so they can cruse non-stop through the lanes at the toll booth and be sent a monthly bill. Smart car development is already incorporating accident avoidance and an entire integrated infrastructure wide system is not real far off at least in urban areas. The only resistance I see is the invasion of privacy to have your cyber money and thus your personal info freely airborne for interception and fraud.

There are limits in ground and air travel that simply can't be exceeded due to the human condition at high g forces and of course road holding capabilities outside of mag lev but people will resist giving up their own personal car for everyday chores and entertainment.

I think its a bit of a fallacy to gage the advancement from the Wright brothers to the Apollo moon landings as a curve that will continue or progress even more rapidly because after all, in the last 40 years since Apollo, space travel is virtually the same and doesn't reflect the degree of advancement of those first 70 years from a hundred foot flight to the moon shots. There are plateau's in advancements and mankind has been on one for the last 40 years pretty much with no real prospects out there that is as radically different from Apollo to beyond, as compared with from the Wright Brother's to Apollo.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Personally I think that most forms of transportation may be irradicated. We may figure out a way to teleport objects or even humans in 100 years. Take into consideration hooking a teleportation device up to a computer / internet, and that reduces the need for travelling anywhere by oh i'd say 70-85%, I mean work could technically be done from home in most situations. It would require the progression and reform of the way we live life for sure and removal I believe of a monetary system because just as with robots taking jobs away, teleportation would pretty much ruin any minimum wage retail jobs prospects.

Getting to a point where it really doesn't matter how fast a car drives, there is no reason to have that much speed, I think the earliest steps will be towards satellite guided / computer controlled transportation. Imagine the impact that would have have on police patrols though and their income if no one was speeding anymore or making right turns from the left lane...

That or the fact that we will remove the dependency from oil and pollution and move towards a real "greener" technology. Something that actually doesn't harm the environment or anyone around it.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: fairguy
reply to post by Nurelic

what i would think would be some kind of satellite guided cars could be in the near future, but who knows after that

I think it's possible that there can be some type of satellite guided cars as well as floating/anti-gravity type transport vessels that can carry up to 100 or more people at a time, like one huge taxi. It would have a designated route it would always go on, and it would make stops along the way to unload passengers. They would exist mostly in big cities, but in small towns and villages as well. Think of the "Hoverbus" as a plane with shorter transit routes, and without any of the hassle you'd have at the airport.

new topics

top topics

join