It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Hints Saudi Arabia May Join Nuclear Arms Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A Saudi prince, in a remark designed to send chills through the Obama administration and its allies, suggested that the kingdom might consider producing nuclear weapons if it found itself between atomic arsenals in Iran and Israel.
The prince, Turki al-Faisal, who has served as the Saudi intelligence chief and as ambassador to the United States, made the comment on Monday at a Persian Gulf security forum in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The remark confirmed Western fears about the potential for an arms race in the Middle East if Iran moves to produce a nuclear weapon. But it also reflected the hardening views among the Persian Gulf’s Arab states that they must rely on themselves — and not just on Western protection — as tensions with Iran grow worse. Kuwaiti authorities are pressing ahead with several prosecutions against people accused of being Iranian spies, and Bahrain’s rulers contend that a cell linked to Iran sought to attack the Saudi Embassy.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well, it seems as if Israel is going to go ahead and strike the key Iranian facilities so that no more Islamic nations say "Well if he's doing it, I guess I will too."

Maybe its all for attention, who knows. It could be a bargaining ploy. What better way to receive international attention and favors than by declaring the start of a nuclear program. We'll see how this goes.

Let's sit back and watch. Please, do enjoy.
edit on 6-12-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Well, that's the problem right there. It's all very well people saying "well, why can't Iran have nukes if Israel and the US have them?" - and while that's a totally valid point, it comes with consequences.....as we're starting to see. So where do we draw the line? Let everybody have them?

The NPT had good intentions, but some countries just disregard it completely (Israel) and others sign up to mask their desire for nuclear weapons....like Iran. I'm not sure what the answer is.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
If Israel is permitted to have a nuclear weapons program than I don't see how the west can stops Iran or the Saudi's from developing a NWP.

top topics

join