It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs are smarter than cats? @look@

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dogs, are in fact superior to cats They are a more evolved animal and are very social..Cats are singular predatory animals that while being super efficient hunters, have much fewer social skills and are much less capable of expression..I know there was a study out that said dogs are smarter then cats but I'm not to sure of that..Below is 2 videos cat verses dog in smartness i just cant make up my mind on this one..What do you think? Are dogs smarter than cats? Does your pet have a special talents ? This is a fun thread so stars for all posters
Peace,sugarcookie1

Yep, dogs ARE smarter than cats
This is Pete now famous skateboarding dog RIPPING the ramps at the SKATELAB in CALIFORNIA.These are just a few of the tricks that he can perform. He was trained with positive reinforcement,

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
cats are smarter than dogs the proof
Now i think this cat is very smart,None of my cats can do this

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
We have cats and dogs and my cats are every bit as social as my dogs, and expressive. I think the difference in apparent intelligence is the difference in attitude. Cats seem to be more sophisticated and fear embarrassment more, dogs just go all out and don't care. One of my dogs will back talk if you tell him to do something he doesn't like, the cat will just wait till you're asleep and then pee on your shoes.

I would point trainability to intelligence, I think training an animal tends to be more difficult the smarter it is. I know that's the case with my boy dog, you can tell he understands what you're doing and just doesn't give a crap.
edit on 6-12-2011 by mus8472 because:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
We can't tell if cats are smart because they don't care what we think. And we don't really know if dogs are all that smart or just good at doing tricks.

I live in a country with many wild cats. I'm not a huge cat fan, always have preferred dogs as pets. But the cats here are very different. When you take them in as a pet they are very smart, very social, very vocal. I have a friend with a pretty dumb dog, and I'm sure her cats are smarter than that poor, sweet dog.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I came home the other night and found my cat working on a theory of everything.
Cats ftw

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The intelligence depends on the animal. I've seen dogs and cats not only chase their tails, but scream after biting the hell out of it, forgetting it was "theirs", and I've seen both animals show extreme problem solving abilities.
Personally, I'm a cat person. Dogs are [typically] very needy animals, while cats are more independent, hence the saying "You own a dog, but you live with a cat."

Since we're posting vids. I've always found this one amusing. Excuse my bias.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
my beloved belle (you can see her in my avatar!) is crazy smart, sometimes i think she can read my mind.

i have a cat, too, and she also seems very smart but she seems to care less about what i care about.

my wife and i cherish both of them for sure. i don't know if i could say one of my animals is smarter than the other, although if i had to i would say that my dog is smarter because she understands a lot of my language and responds to it.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Are you talking smarter or more entertaining? The two animals are from totally different walks on the evolutionary chain, I don't see how you can say one is smarter than the other and offer up a skateboarding dog! You could pose the question "Who's the better entertainer" I suppose. If anything we're talking about different methods of approach to the same problem...Survival. I just don't see how one can say one animal is smarter than the other based on the tricks it can perform...Just makes no sense to me

OK... So now I've also watched the cat and ball vid and can relate because all my cats have loved to play fetch, you just have to throw
I jumped the gun and presumed you were offering up a skateboarding dog as some kind of proof they were smarter, had I watched the second video before replying I would have seen the natural conclusion. I do still have some issue with which one is smarter because I see them as being so incredibly different on many levels.
edit on 6-12-2011 by minkmouse because: Fixing stuff

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mus8472

hi mus8472..I think your right about the attitude difference ..One of my dogs does the same thing i tell him no and he talks back and i know he is just chewing me out its a bit funny! Cats to me are a bit sneaky but dogs just don't care ..I have 4 inside dogs and 13 barn cats i think there all smart in there own way..sorry i didn't get back to you sooner im having keyboard problems..peace,ssugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Cats are very independent ..My barn cats just do there own thing but my dogs need all kinds of attention but i have one dog that isn't to smart i worked with him but even after 5 years still wont fetch a stick..thanks for posting ,peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

LOL thats cute! thanks for posting ..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Thats a cute video! Dogs are very needy animals but thats what i love about them i have to say dogs are my favorite but i love cats also..thanks for posting..sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

Your beloved belle is just darling she looks like a sweetie! I know all my animals are like family..But like you i think my dogs understand and respond better to what i want..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I'm not saying one is smarter then the other..I read a article that said at Oxford the Scientists say socially active dogs have developed bigger brains than standoffish felines so they came up with dogs are smarter then cats..The videos were just being cute is all
And i do agree they are incredibly different on many levels..Thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Smarter is a funny word.
If i have an IQ of 200...err lets say 2000 (yeah I know, just humor me here).
And you are smarter than me, (you have a higher IQ).
Does smarter matter at that point?
Knowing this, I believe our animals have got the edge on all of us with thumbs, they are just smart enough not to press the issue.
Me, if you could not tell from my posting history or from my avatar, I'm Doggie people.
Sure there are folks with stories of amazing things that cats do but, I'm not sure if a cat is capable of unconditional love.
I know my dogs are, every single one I have ever had the gift of being in their life as well.
I have many friends and family that would say the same of their "Best Buddies" (aka dog).
Cats are fine and they fit a purpose, but if i need a cat, I'll get a Jack Russell, Chihuahua, or Daschund.
I'm just not a cat person, but I'm sure there are folks who feel the opposite.
So, dogs are better than cats, .....in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

This only proves that cats are evil as they cheat!
Ok I did get a good chuckle from it, very smart of the cat.
Someone give that dog a lid please??

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I must disagree. Cats are smarter. Humans train their dogs, cats train their humans.
I have watched my cat puzzle out different ways of trying to explain to me what she needs or wants. Once I respond in the appropriate manner she will repeat this same behavior every time she wants that need or want met. However she wont repeat the ones that didn't work which is to bad, because there were a few good ones I didn't figure out until it was to late and would love for her to repeat that those behaviors instead of the ones she currently uses for those needs.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hello cookie!

Have to disagree with you on this one. Having operated a private family run
sancutary for sick and injured felines for over 30 years and witnessing every
conceivable thing a cat cant do, the cat wins every time. While cats are our primary
rescue, we have never walked away from any animal in need. We presently have seven
dogs that we rescued from horrible conditions that we encountered on our cat rescue mission.
We also have 2 chinchillas and have had other critters over the years. It has been my experience that the cat is superior in every way. Anyone who ever tried to find their cat may will attest to the fact that this creature borders on the supernatural! I am totally convinced that our feline friends can disappear into other dimensions and the only way to retreive them is to pop open a can of friskies.
Teach a dog to fetch a stick, big deal. Want a real challenge, try to get a cat to do something and it will look at you like, you want me to do what? Do it yourself um busy resting up for dinner!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
We can't tell who is smarter, because any intelligence test is going to be written based on HUMAN intelligence.

Dogs think we're stupid because we can't tell what they are trying to communicate to us with their subtle facial muscle movements. They think we're idiots because we cannot distinguish between pack members simply by the smell of their butt holes.
We're practically idiots for not being able to sense danger or hear a car 1/4 mile away...

Having said that... Look at my avatar. If you don't see intelligence there, you're probably just a dumb hyoo-man...

Cats are highly trainable:

edit on 12/7/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Dogs!

posted here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'd like to see a cat do that

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join