It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Dinosaur Species Discovered - The "Missing Link" in Dinosaur Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I came across this news story just now and wanted to share with the ATS community.

Apparently scientists have finally been able to analyze century-old fossilized skull fragments of a new dinosaur species called Spinops sternbergorum.

They claim it lived between 74 and 76 million years ago, and "could be the missing link between two previously known species of Ceratopsians, the same dinosaur group Triceratops came from."

I think it's always fascinating when science uncovers a previously undiscovered species, and it just goes to show you that there are plenty of things about history that we still don't know.

Of course the evolution vs. creationism argument comes into play with each new finding like this.

Click here to read the full story

I know this probably will only be of interest to a specific crowd, but this is my first time creating an actual new thread so I figured I'd start out with something on the lighter side.

Thanks!

edit on 6-12-2011 by csuldm because: "Billion" changed to "million". Guess I need a calendar.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
lets all lobby to call it abovetopsecresaurus

How awesome would that be to have a dinosaur named after this site!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by csuldm

Being that the world is said to be 4.5 billion years old, a dinosaur existing 70+ billion years ago sounds possible

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Nice first post ,

but i think that should be "lived between 74 and 76 million years ago"

It kinda looks like it has a parrot beak.

edit on 6-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm
They claim it lived between 74 and 76 billion years ago, and "could be the missing link between two previously known species of Ceratopsians, the same dinosaur group Triceratops came from."

Okay... I have been on here for a while and I NEVER contribute... but scientifically, isn't the world only 4.5 billion years old? Are you meaning, millions??

-"Age of the Earth". U.S. Geological Survey. 1997. Retrieved 2006-01-10.

I know things could have change since this U.S Geological Survey was published/written, but isn't the universe itself said to only be 13.75 billion years?

-NASA Retrieved 13/09/2011

Sorry I am not providing links. And I am SURE there is some misunderstanding here. Could be because I am typing on a laptop from a restroom....

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hi csuldm,
I've already seen you taken some slack for that million/billion typo (only 1 key between b & m) or slip up....

They claim it lived between 74 and 76 billion years ago, and "could be the missing link between two previously known species of Ceratopsians, the same dinosaur group Triceratops came from."

The article in your link said:

Now, paleontologists are hypothesizing that Spinops, which lived between 74 and 76 million years ago, could be the missing link between two previously known species of Ceratopsians, the same dinosaur group Triceratops came from.
So I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt

Thanks for sharing the find with us.

I heard somewhere that within the past 20+ years scientists have come to the conclusion that all birds on the planet evolved from dinosaurs.

I also remember learning about compound words in grade school.....

So did the dinosaurs DIE out and go extinct? NO, the SOAR through the air like a ... well, like an eagle...

DIE? + NO! + SOAR = DINOSAUR

...Or... maybe my math is wrong

edit on 6-12-2011 by ILikeStars because: You did give me a star didn't you?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

now you mention it Heck of a beek on the dang thing
feathered serpant?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for calling attention to the billion vs million typo. I will change it in the original post now.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Thanks everyone for calling attention to the billion vs million typo. I will change it in the original post now.

I do find this interesting, nonetheless. I hope my moment of bathroom participation did not make you feel otherwise. It's a really cool thread topic! Thanks for sharing!!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ireadkerouac

Haha no worries! I knew when I posted it that the year range didn't sound right.

new topics

top topics

join