It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee family home burns while firefighters watch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The cost of freedomsz

One man enta,
No man leave

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DickGozinya

Well I am a paramedic, based on your train of thought then I guess you would be ok with me verifying your insurance while one of your loved ones is gasping for breath or experiencing a stroke. If your insurance doesn't check out I guess it would be ok for us to leave. Is that how you really want emergency services to work? Never in a million years would I ignore a patient who needed help insurance or not I am in emergency services and that is part of the gig, do your job now get paid later.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Sometimes you have to be a human being and not just a robot.

These fire fighters actually stood there and watched a house burn essentially leaving people homeless while they had the tools to help them. $75 fee or not, these fire fighters are people with houses, families etc.

Standing there and watching it happen is just as bad as starting the fire in the first place IMO. If I drive away from an accident, I can be charged with leaving the scene. If I do nothing to save a life if I am capable, am I not also guilty?

If you only put out a fire with permission, what are you doing in that job anyway?

Pathetic.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fworkman

I would assume that the home owners in this area pay property taxes?

Actually, I'm willing to bet the taxes of the rural county residents don't do much of anything for the City Fire Department that is extending out beyond their normal duty area to cover it. In this area of the country it's a pretty common thing for the Volunteer Fire Departments to have the same thing in place.

They'll risk their lives to save yours, pay or no pay but if you decided to be a cheapskate and short the effort to keep a fire department operating at all, they won't so much as squirt it with a garden hose unless the fire jumps property lines to someone who did pay....once they confirm no lives are at risk.

It's cold...but the alternative is far worse. There simply isn't fire coverage at all. Local governments aren't Congress....When the money is gone, there simply isn't gas to put in the fire truck anymore. That's as brutal as it gets for the towns especially. I'd guess with a city department working on a city budget while supplying overage well out into the county, their financial realities are much the same as a Volunteer dept when they cross the city line.

edit on 6-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: spacing change and minor addition

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by DickGozinya

Well I am a paramedic, based on your train of thought then I guess you would be ok with me verifying your insurance while one of your loved ones is gasping for breath or experiencing a stroke. If your insurance doesn't check out I guess it would be ok for us to leave. Is that how you really want emergency services to work? Never in a million years would I ignore a patient who needed help insurance or not I am in emergency services and that is part of the gig, do your job now get paid later.

That sounds like freedom to me!

If you ain't paying, what good are you?

Too many lazy people in America and obviously that lazy person should have gotten a job.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Sometimes you have to be a human being and not just a robot.

These fire fighters actually stood there and watched a house burn essentially leaving people homeless while they had the tools to help them. $75 fee or not, these fire fighters are people with houses, families etc.

Standing there and watching it happen is just as bad as starting the fire in the first place IMO. If I drive away from an accident, I can be charged with leaving the scene. If I do nothing to save a life if I am capable, am I not also guilty?

If you only put out a fire with permission, what are you doing in that job anyway?

Pathetic.

If the firefighters put out the fire, then nobody would pay their fees and America would become Russia.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

I cant believe there is no compassion. What if you lose your job, or become disabled and cant work and lose your insurance? You are really ok with me standing there, with the tools to save your life, and watch you struggle for every breath you take and eventually watch you die all because you had some bad luck and dont have insurance at that time.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by mastahunta

I cant believe there is no compassion. What if you lose your job, or become disabled and cant work and lose your insurance? You are really ok with me standing there, with the tools to save your life, and watch you struggle for every breath you take and eventually watch you die all because you had some bad luck and dont have insurance at that time.

If I don't have insurance that means that I am lazy, a drag on society and useless.

Why should someone else pay for you to jump starting my heart?

What will happen to freedom if you save dying people?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the clarification.

They should have extinguished the fire and issued a reasonable bill for services rendered or some form of community service required if the homeowner could not afford it. I believe most folks that had their home saved would gladly serve or pay and I bet they would start paying the annual fee moving forward.

This seems like nothing more than a power play.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
On the surface this story sounds horrendous, however, dig a little deeper and a different scenario will surface.

Obion county, Tennessee firefighters are a community organization of citizens who pledge there money and effort to come to each others help. If you do not participate , that is your choice, and this was the choice of this family.

Obion County Firefighters are volunteers and is NOT a service provided by the tax base.

Again no one forces you to participate in the funding drives or in the training, but if you refuse to commit to helping out your community, don’t expect your community to help. It is that simple.

My county has the same type of program, I have received training on all of the equipment, my family participates in the funding, I have responded to fire calls.

You have to look at it this way: A volunteer fire department is no more than a group of neighbors who get together and pool their money to buy a fire truck, then hire professional firefighters to come and teach how to use it, then when a fire happens to strike one of the groups homes we all show up to help out. That’s it in a nut shell.

If you chose not to pledge your money, time and effort to assist your neighbors it is your own fault.

This poor family loss is tragic, but the out come could have been different if this family had chose to support their community in the first place.

This is the type of PERSONAL RESPONIBLITY one must take on when living in rural America. It is not for everyone.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I would hope fire fighters have better morals than this.

I'm also confused why they're trying to pass off a story from 2010 as new.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

If you are not financially able to afford $75 a year you are really, really poor.

In my Volunteer Fire Department the inability to contribute money can be off set with your time and commitment to the cause.

Help is always needed to maintain equipment, mow the grass, wash the truck, paint the building, a host of ways to help out.

The bottom line here is this poor family chose not to participate in the life of their community.

You have to be a friend to have a friend.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
So they turn up to watch it burn?
what did they say? "bet your gona pay now."

ever one should pay any way.
like UK.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I live in a rural setting in Australia. The firefighters are all volunteers and their employers know that when their beepers go off - they are going to help save lives and property - in that order. Even the fire chief has his own employment. And the whole town knows when there is a fire - the siren is loud!

Having been a Police officer and worked with the fire fighters I would bet they would put a fire out no matter what the circumstances. That's how it's done round here.

To think a fire truck in working order and fire fighters capable of putting out a fire - didn't use their equipment and manpower is unthinkable! What is the matter with humanity? Now there is a family without their home. Had I been there I would have given $75 to the fire fighters....

The more of these stories I hear coming out of America the more I feel for you - your living in a place that does not seem to look after its people. That's really sad.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

I understand the logic but would you have responded and just stood by watching it burn?

We need to help each other many times in our lives. If I witnessed that you need help during an emergency I would not turn my back because of the financial loss I may experience by helping you if I already have the equipment readily available at my disposal to help.

I see this as a big problem in our society. Too many people just walk by or don't want to get involved - no compassion for fellow men or women.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulDarkness

You still don’t get it.

These are NOT firefighters, they are farmers, cattlemen, construction workers, factory workers, the kid that works the counter at the general store.

It is just a group of people who have gotten together and have pledge their assistance to each other, no one else.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Wait... what??? People actually have to pay a yearly fee for the fire department? Is it not funded by taxes like other fire departments? My step-dad is the chief of our local fire department and I've never heard of such things. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's just new to me. Even the volunteer fire departments here get government funding, so how does this work? Do they check to see if someone has paid their yearly fee before they jump in their trucks and decide whether or not they're going to fight the fire? I have issues with that, but even if I did agree with it, I would still NOT agree with the fire fighters loading up and going to just stand there and watch the fire burn. That should be a crime! Of course, it probably isn't, but that's just flat out ridiculous. If they can actually go to the fire, they can fight the damn fire! That's just wrong!

EDIT: After reading through, I suppose there are fee based systems. I had no idea. But if they're not going to fight the fire, why stand there and watch it burn? I just can't agree with that. That's rather heartless.
edit on 12/6/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fworkman

You are exactly correct.

This is the attitude this family chose, of their own free will.

Now when they fall victim to their own lack of caring for their neighbors they want to complain.

Sorry, I hate your bad luck, let this be a lesson for each of us. We MUST take an active role in the life of our community, we must hold out a helping hand to our neighbors.

However, if you chose not to do so, don’t complain about it latter.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoulDarkness
I would hope fire fighters have better morals than this.

I'm also confused why they're trying to pass off a story from 2010 as new.

Because this did not happen in 2010. It happen Monday. They did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.kfvs12.com...

www.wpsdlocal6.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I lived in a rented house in 2000, and the firefighters decided to let the house burn, and do some practicing of some things with it.....

There's no fee in the county where I live, so I don't know why they let it burn.......and why they didn't investigate the cause of the fire, like in all other cases, so it seems when I read the incidents of house burnings in my area. And the next day, a bulldozer pushed all the remains into the cellar.....we didn't even get the opportunity to search for anything......like my wife's collection of old and rare coins..........

How can the fire fighters do such a thing? Really, to me, that's immoral. Because of 75 bucks??!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join