It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee family home burns while firefighters watch

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

A Tennessee couple helplessly watched their home burn to the ground, along with all of their possessions, because they did not pay a $75 annual fee to the local fire department.

Vicky Bell told the NBC affiliate WPSD-TV that she called 911 when her mobile home in Obion County caught fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene but as the fire raged, they simply stood by and did nothing. "In an emergency, the first thing you think of, 'Call 9-1-1," homeowner Bell said. However, Bell and her husband were forced to walk into the burning home in an attempt to retrieve their own belongings. "You could look out my mom's trailer and see the trucks sitting at a distance," Bell said. "We just wished we could've gotten more out."

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

"There's no way to go to every fire and keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," Crocker said.

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by. That incident sparked a debate among conservative pundits over the limits of fee-for-service approaches to government.

For his part, Mayor Crocker stressed that the city's firefighters will help people in danger, even those who haven't paid the fee. "After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," Crocker said..

news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/tennessee-family- home-burns-while-firefighters-watch-191241763.html

I do not even know what to think about this................

I think this is when I can safely say that our system is broken(has been).........................................

Did the firefighters not respond? Were they not there anyways? I wish I could get payed for watching something burn down........If they get payed to respond, then they should do something.................other than be a spectator...............

If it costs to send them out, then how much more would it be to put a little water on the flames?

I would be ashamed to be on their fire unit, squad, or whatever thay want to call themselves..........

Put the fire out and charge them the fee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hello

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

For his part, Mayor Crocker stressed that the city's firefighters will help people in danger, even those who haven't paid the fee. "After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," Crocker said..

So pay that $75 fee or watch your house burn to the ground. Sounds like the protection racket isn't just in the big cities.

Legal Extortion IMO.

Mayor Crocker has also failed to do his job...represent the people.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

WTF? Is that a normal thing in the US? You need to pay extra money for essential emergency services?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You don't pay your bill, you don't get fire assistance. What's the problem with that scenario? No one burned to death they just lost their stuff. Next time they'll pay the bill and maybe not lose their trailer.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I would hope they firefighters would first make sure everyone was safe, and after that, I don't see a problem with what they've done. If it isn't funded by taxes, and the fee isn't paid, then you don't get services.

Besides, it was a trailer, they burn up in like 20 minutes anyway. There was likely nothing that could have been done either way. I'm not judging people that live in trailers, I'm just commenting on the fact that they burn up like match boxes and the fire department typically can't stop them, $75 fee or no $75 fee was probably moot.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If you don't pay your house insurance and your house burns down what happens?

You have to pay to rebuild your house yourself

If you don't pay for collision insurance and you wreck your car what happens?

You pay to have your car fixed yourself.

If you stopped paying you life insurance and you die.... well you get the idea

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

WTF? Is that a normal thing in the US? You need to pay extra money for essential emergency services?

Isn't that insane?
I wonder how many other supposedly civilized countries do that?
I've heard of it happening down there before too, and in that incidence, the people's pet died, and the firefighters only showed up to make sure that the neighbours house didn't catch.
It makes me wonder what they would do if a person was stuck in the house. Would they let them die?

Up here, it's one of the things included in our property taxes. Fire protection for everyone. Plus many of the fire departments up here are volunteer, the taxes pay for the equipment.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
isn't there a whole lot of grey area's with this system? seem's kinda backward's to me.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This is a bit of a change from your previous idea:

This has to violate all the Good Samaritan laws?

If I had the means and ability to help someone in distress, and I stood idly by, I could be found culpable in the damage. If a police officer sees a crime in progress, even outside their own jurisdiction, they are sworn to uphold the law at all times, so they must act.

I do not see how this is possible. I also do not know how the firemen survived. If my house were on fire, and a firetruck was within reach and men were standing between me and saving my house, those men would soon be disposed of and I would be using the firetruck to save my house.

P.S.
Plus, the fire department could have put out the fire and levied a lien against the property for services provided, and charged the man for the full cost of services, and they could still have made their political point by saying, "See, pay your $75 per year, it is much cheaper than $12,000 for on-call services."

What happened?

link   
reply to post by snowspirit

That sounds like a very strange system. In the UK (where I was born and lived till 20 or so) and here in Holland (where I live now) police, ambulance and fire services are all paid for out of public money. You call, they come, no bill before or after.

Oh, and car insurance is compulsory if you want to drive and house insurance or contents insurance is not but the fire truck will come regardless.

link   
reply to post by ccsct203

That doesn't make sense..... at all.... wtf does insurance have to do with people putting out a fire that could potentially threaten someones life?

and insurance is the 3rd largest scam in history after pharma and banking anyway.....

you're propagating bull #...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is just a start to a throwback to the old days. Firefighters in NYC used to be basically criminal protection gangs. They would fight over which gang would get to loot the house as it burned. It was a total extortion racket, they would even light the fires themselves a lot of the time.

One of the first steps towards civilising the country was creating the fire departments, paid for by taxes, and free to everyone, to eliminate the possibility of an extortion racket. Apparently, most of you think it's time to do away with dumb civilized ideas like that, and revert to the old ways. Soon it will be back to feudalism all the way, we are definitely headed there.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Hmm...isn't that one of the essential services that public money is supposed to pay for first?

What are the paying for that is deemed more essential than fire-fighting I wonder?

Just sounds extortionate and illegal to me.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

It's not an entirely uncommon system here in the US.

Most emergency services are paid for by taxes. This particular city/county doesn't provide fire service unless you pay extra. In numerous cities across the country ambulance service isn't paid for by taxes but through direct billing. Most of the time, however, health insurance will cover the cost. Then again, we have nearly 50 million people without health insurance.

It's a pretty terrible system we have here, as you can see from a number of the comments already, some people feel it's acceptable to watch your neighbors house burn down than to pay a little extra in taxes. That's what constitutes 'civilized society' in their eyes.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Wow, that is just messed up. If a doctor witnesses a car accident, don't they have the Hippocratic Oath to have to stop to rescue that person? Should be the same thing for the fire department. That is their job, or why bother going into the field. Shakes head.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
let it burn

let it burn,

let it burn.

fa la la la la

la la la

laaa

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I hope everyone of those involed in lettting that house burn have their house burn to the ground. If they are in it at the time then all the much better. This make sme sick and so mad I can not see streight. Enough is enough. I hope the world does end on 12-21-12 because people now days are just so sick and crazy they human race is a joke. If I say what I am really thinking right now I will get banned for sure so I will leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Wow. I don't know what to say.

posted on 8-10-2010 @ 08:41 AM

Seems in a short year's time, I've become indoctrinated to this stuff. I was working in a different capacity for the government at that time last year, and since then I've been working in a regulatory capacity. Maybe I'm part of the beast now?

I was fighting with my county at that time last year about a mandated "fee" that automatically turns into a "tax" if it isn't paid, and I was really pissed off about it, but ultimately I paid it.

Thanks for bringing that up. I really don't know what to say. Has my opinion really changed that much in 1 short year?
edit on 6-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by snowspirit

That sounds like a very strange system. In the UK (where I was born and lived till 20 or so) and here in Holland (where I live now) police, ambulance and fire services are all paid for out of public money. You call, they come, no bill before or after.

Oh, and car insurance is compulsory if you want to drive and house insurance or contents insurance is not but the fire truck will come regardless.

Yes, Canada too. If you have no insurance they'll still put out the fire to the best of their ability.
We have to pay our ambulance system separate, but they just bill you later, and if you pay, you pay. There are many that don't bother, but they still get the service if needed. No one leaves you somewhere in need.

Many strange wtf stories coming out of the US over the past couple of years.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

It seems rather morbid for the firefighters to stand by while the home was burning down.
Do the subscribers receive the $75.00 back at the end of the year if there is not a fire? Can non subscribers agree to pay the $75.00 service fee after the service is rendered?

Don't get me wrong.. I believe taxes or fees are necessary to pay for the emergency services and these are usually paid for in the form of annual property taxes.

I would assume that the home owners in this area pay property taxes?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join