It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal theory about the Egyptian Ankh

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
I have notice that some one holds it near some ones mouth?
not touching the lips like a kiss.
more like they speak to it?

are they using it to speak a promise to.
like a microphone that records the promise to it.
a promise to the gods.

just a gut feeling when I look at it in the pictures.
why else would they show it in a picture?
maybe I was there in a past life?
next time you see Egyptian pics have a look.

wow, I noticed that too.
like a microphone !
maybe they are breathing in the life, or maybe adding their life to it ?

edit on 6-12-2011 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I think it represents an actual object that was used by the ancients, like a tool, perhaps a "key", literally. There are several objects portrayed in images from ancient Egypt, South America, Mexico, etc. that look the same and are visually referenced in the same way. One looks (shaped) sort of like an ankh/key/rattle, one like a lunchpail/padlock/car battery, one like a feather duster, and more. Its like an ancient advanced tech universal toolbox, maybe for communication, and most likely a power source of some sort.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I've often wondered if the Ankh has perhaps always been shown as upside down.
Maybe it's true orientation was intentionally flipped at some point in time?

Also, there must be a similar connection between Amun and Amen.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ecossiepossie

That's untrue. We didn't used to be ladies, because though we didn't have penis' and testicles, we also didn't have vaginas and ovaries and such. We were genderless.

Also, this answer does not justify saying God in his supreme omnipotence is a female OR a male. The only reason we call God a "him" is because we have yet to understand how to term God as an "it". God has no gender, he's not like his creation. We were made in Gods image, meaning we were made pure, with truth and justice as our carnal aim.

God has NO gender.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Nice post...

Your theory is already a common theory though, the theory that the line is the male reproductive organ and the circular part is the female reproductive organ, even the crossed line is supposedly the male reproductive organ testes.

The Key of Life, Eternal Life, it is an important symbol, too bad goth and wiccans are mis-using the sacred symbol.

The Ankh is also commonly known as a foreshadowing of Jesus on the cross. I prefer the Ankh to the cross, I see it more as Life, than death. Looking forward to, rather than looking back on.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemdog
I think it represents an actual object that was used by the ancients, like a tool, perhaps a "key", literally. There are several objects portrayed in images from ancient Egypt, South America, Mexico, etc.

my impression too, key of life is a key not life, the shape is more drawing a move out of conscious stillness like a bull cell, but the line is straight which mean a right move way, it is definitely not a penis and the circle is not a vagina
it is incredible how they cant deal with concepts abstractions while inventing all kind of abstractions to enjoy

if genders were meant to join then it would have been surely more clear since males and females are everywhere fully objective in forms, a point and some balls is more easily drawn

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I read something like this online a few months ago! I was looking up the swastika and it's origins and found a site with various symbols and different theories on their origins.

I could see this being a possibility.

If the meaning to the Egyptians had to do with life then it would make sense that if it represented man and woman that it would equal life together, since when you put the two (man/woman) "together" you create life.

I have always been interested in the Egyptians and their beliefs and i really enjoy learning about symbols from all over and their meanings and/or origins. It is always interesting to see how one culture interprets something where another will interpret it different.

S&F!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

Just to add to this, it was believed too that the ankh could symbolize immortality, mmh ... So immortality could be reached while there is a union of the male and female aspect? (again this is my theory) Analyzing this the way I just did led me to this conclusion.

As with any good symbol, there are multiple layers of understanding and representation that are equally valid. I will be wholly impressed if you can tell me that you came to this conclusion solely based on the interpretation of the symbol (because if so that's a brilliant example of how symbols can communicate depths of knowledge.)

If, however you have read this article or studied this aspect of Tantra I will be less impressed. Still, a great layer of understanding of the ankh.

Sex, and specifically the orgasm, is more that just something that feels good and allows procreation. There are many other functions, such as the release of dysfunctional energy within the body, which can help to keep one from becoming diseased. There is the function that opens the higher chakras, and under the right conditions allows a person to begin the process of enlightenment. And further, if two people, lovers, practice sacred sex, the entire experience can lead them together into higher consciousness and into worlds beyond this plane.

In relationships, a simple sexual principle, as taught by the ancient Egyptians, can change the energy level within your body and help to bring strength and vitality into your bodies and your relationship. The full subject in detail of Egyptian Tantra is incredibly complex, and cannot be completed in an article of this scope. But we can speak of the heart of the matter — the human ankhing experience as practiced by the ancient Egyptians.

And so, adapted for our readers from The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life, Volume II, I offer this insight to assist two lovers — or even yourself, alone — to begin to find the higher path. This practice will not directly show you the true path. But it will increase your life-force energy, making you stronger, more alive, and more conscious. And perhaps — if you believe the Ancient Egyptians — it may lead you into eternal life.

Instructions for the Egyptian Orgasm Here is exactly how to achiever the ankhing associated with the human orgasm. Whatever you do sexually before the orgasm is completely up to you. I am not here to judge you — and definitely the Egyptians would not, since they believe in knowing all sixty-four sexual modes before you enter the King's Chamber to ascend to the next level of consciousness. This is their idea, but it is important to know that it is not necessary. You can reach the next level of consciousness without knowing this information. However, from their point of view, the idea of ankhing is of paramount importance in achieving eternal life. You will have to decide for yourself if it is something you wish to practice.

The moment you feel the sexual energy about to rise up your spine, take a very deep breath, filling your lungs about 9/10th full, then hold your breath.

Allow the sexual energy of the orgasm to come up your spine. But at the moment it reaches the fifth chakra (located just a couple of finger-widths above the sternum), with your willpower you must turn the flow of sexual energy 90 degrees out the back of the body. It will then automatically continue inside the ankh tube. It will slowly turn until it passes exactly through the eighth (or thirteenth) chakra, one hand-length above the head at 90 degrees to the vertical. It will then continue to curve around until it returns to the fifth chakra, where it began, only this time in the front of the body. Even if you don't understand what was just said, it will happen automatically if you get it started out the back of the body at the fifth chakra, and it will automatically come back around to the front of the body and reconnect at the fifth chakra. You just have to make it turn 90 degrees so that it begins.

www.spiritofmaat.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The ancient sages said that there is five primordial elements: fire, air, ether, earth and water. The circle could symbolize the sun and be associated with the fire element. The horizontal line could symbolize the earth element and the vertical line, the water element. Join these three elements together (thumb=fire, ring finger=earth, little finger=water) and you have the Pran Mudra. This Mudra is said to increase your life force.

edit on 8-12-2011 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
i dunno but if u look also at that key it looks like a tie, so it confirms what i said being also right, the place for the head so conscious still and then all positive right moves making a straight life line

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I was always under the assumption that the Ankh was used during (or after) sex.

That they would "ankh" the energy released during an orgasm back into their bodies.

Great post though, i think your theory is really interesting too! Especially how the Alpha and Omega symbols fit together to create what an ankh looks like.

Alpha-Omega
Black-White
Male-Female.

It's funny, duality is everywhere..our lives as humans are based on duality. Yet when we are at our most blissful it's because of oneness.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet

Just to add to this, it was believed too that the ankh could symbolize immortality, mmh ... So immortality could be reached while there is a union of the male and female aspect? (again this is my theory) Analyzing this the way I just did led me to this conclusion.

As with any good symbol, there are multiple layers of understanding and representation that are equally valid. I will be wholly impressed if you can tell me that you came to this conclusion solely based on the interpretation of the symbol (because if so that's a brilliant example of how symbols can communicate depths of knowledge.)

If, however you have read this article or studied this aspect of Tantra I will be less impressed. Still, a great layer of understanding of the ankh.

Sex, and specifically the orgasm, is more that just something that feels good and allows procreation. There are many other functions, such as the release of dysfunctional energy within the body, which can help to keep one from becoming diseased. There is the function that opens the higher chakras, and under the right conditions allows a person to begin the process of enlightenment. And further, if two people, lovers, practice sacred sex, the entire experience can lead them together into higher consciousness and into worlds beyond this plane.

In relationships, a simple sexual principle, as taught by the ancient Egyptians, can change the energy level within your body and help to bring strength and vitality into your bodies and your relationship. The full subject in detail of Egyptian Tantra is incredibly complex, and cannot be completed in an article of this scope. But we can speak of the heart of the matter — the human ankhing experience as practiced by the ancient Egyptians.

And so, adapted for our readers from The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life, Volume II, I offer this insight to assist two lovers — or even yourself, alone — to begin to find the higher path. This practice will not directly show you the true path. But it will increase your life-force energy, making you stronger, more alive, and more conscious. And perhaps — if you believe the Ancient Egyptians — it may lead you into eternal life.

Instructions for the Egyptian Orgasm Here is exactly how to achiever the ankhing associated with the human orgasm. Whatever you do sexually before the orgasm is completely up to you. I am not here to judge you — and definitely the Egyptians would not, since they believe in knowing all sixty-four sexual modes before you enter the King's Chamber to ascend to the next level of consciousness. This is their idea, but it is important to know that it is not necessary. You can reach the next level of consciousness without knowing this information. However, from their point of view, the idea of ankhing is of paramount importance in achieving eternal life. You will have to decide for yourself if it is something you wish to practice.

The moment you feel the sexual energy about to rise up your spine, take a very deep breath, filling your lungs about 9/10th full, then hold your breath.

Allow the sexual energy of the orgasm to come up your spine. But at the moment it reaches the fifth chakra (located just a couple of finger-widths above the sternum), with your willpower you must turn the flow of sexual energy 90 degrees out the back of the body. It will then automatically continue inside the ankh tube. It will slowly turn until it passes exactly through the eighth (or thirteenth) chakra, one hand-length above the head at 90 degrees to the vertical. It will then continue to curve around until it returns to the fifth chakra, where it began, only this time in the front of the body. Even if you don't understand what was just said, it will happen automatically if you get it started out the back of the body at the fifth chakra, and it will automatically come back around to the front of the body and reconnect at the fifth chakra. You just have to make it turn 90 degrees so that it begins.

www.spiritofmaat.com...

Makes me think about the ritualistic sex acts that many secret societies have been doing for hundreds of years...

More evidence for me that these top secret society members are so powerful because they hold the ancient, secret, simple truths that have been lost to ourselves over time.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

this is ur life so it cant by definition represent life, since u r a mortal meaning sex and dualities from ur inferior background trained to appear being animal as most vulgar shape of moving constancy

life by definition is freedom being object, it is the i free and l that represent it as an object fact, so life is exclusively from knowing objective exactly same, put ur dualities and genders and blackness and all in ur

out

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Merry Meet,

My understanding of the symbol of the ankh, is that it is a hold over from the Sumerians. It is the Ring and Rule of Anu-ship, or authority of Kingship.

Originally, and for the longest time, the Ring was a symbol of perpetually divine justice, which was measured by the Rod. In ancient depictions various Sumerian overlords, kings and queens are individually portrayed holding the Rod and Ring devices - characters such as Marduk and Lilith, Shamesh, Ur-Nammu, Ashur, Samael and others from the 3rd and 2nd millenniums BC. In some instances the Rod is clearly marked in calculable units (like a modern ruler). In Babylonia it was referred to as the Rule – and the one who held the Rule was the designated ‘ruler’: which is from where the governmental term derives. In time, rather than holding the golden rings, the sovereigns began to place them on their heads where, from a general course of ornate embellishment through the ages, they ultimately became crowns, while the Rod (or Rule) evolved into the royal sceptre. In the course of this, the Rosi-crucis emblem of the cross and circle also became a solid object – a cross surmounted on a sphere – to become the Orb of sovereign regalia. In all the Grail romances, and in the tales of the Ring, the message is relentlessly clear: in the wrong hands, both the Ring and the Grail can bring disaster. The power of the Ring has to be withstood, otherwise it will enslave its master, whereas the Grail will retaliate with a vengeance if misused. Either way, the moral is the same in that, ultimately, power is self-destructive when achieved through selling one's soul. Consequently, the Ring can be a halo or a crown, but it can equally become a noose. There is, however, an essential difference between Tolkien's 'One Ring', which is portrayed as dark and divisive, and the Golden Ring of Grail romance, which is a ring of love and enlightenment. The latter (the ring with which Arthur made his vow to Guinevere) was further symbolised by the iron-clad ring of knights who sat at the Round Table – a Ring that was broken (leading the land into chaos and waste) when Guinevere was unfaithful to Arthur with Lancelot.

greenspun.com...

I know that Laurence Gardner's work seems to be a little far fetched for many people, but I find a few of his thoughts enlightening to say the least.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Read "Declare" by Tim Powers for another possible meaning behind the symbol. Given his standard motif of writing "hidden history" style fiction, I'm surprised his name doesn't get bounced around on ATS more often.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

I totally agree.
"the balls of life" wouldnt be so mysterious, but it would make me giggle.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gemdog

yea i might discover giggle when i will see ur balls

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join