It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Want Your Honest Opinion (I Think LOL!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Thanks Diamond! I appreciate that!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hi Kat

I think they both came out great.

Here's my critique: You have a great talent with eyes, they are excellent and extremely well proportioned on both. It looks like you're struggling a little bit with noses and/or the nose to mouth ratio. I always had trouble with that too. It's hard to draw the face, especially when it's at an angle because our vision naturally assumes we are looking at the face straight-on, so we try to keep everything level... ugh! Anyway, this might help: drawsketch.about.com...

The shadow and light and colors are fabulous, nice job with that!

Question, you said you were drawing from looking at photo's... were you trying to get them exact?

I was an art major throughout high school and in college. I always had natural talent but obviously had to learn the basics (if I wanted to pass my courses). One thing that I learned was to draw things as I percieve them and not worry about what anyone else sees. We all see things differently

If you have the time the money and the inspiration I would most definitely persue it. It can get fairly expensive depending upon what medium you prefer. I was really into charcoals because you can really get that blacker than black and it's so easy to smudge and blend... then I was into Gestalt (negative/positive space) and then surrealism, finally oils.

Thanks so much for sharing!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

OK....now I'll say this....the first one I did while looking at a pic of Angelina Jolie.
I knew it! After looking at the eyes I could tell it was based on Angelina Jolie.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
From a realistic, not being mean standpoint these are amateur looking. You need to study basic shapes first and how shadows fall on objects. Then move onto more complex objects. Artists study anatomy more than a medical doctor ;P. Knowing every muscle and bone is the key to drawing realistic humans or any animal.

But keep practicing it takes years to get REALLY good, you have potential.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Very nice job. Sort of reminds me of Patrick Nagel's style.

Are they fictional character drawings or are they portraits of real people ?

If they are real people a photo comparison would help us judge your talent better.

But either way they look realistic and I would say you have very good artistic talent

I Googled a couple images of Patrick Nagel's work

EDIT:
Sorry, I hadn't read the whole thread. Nevermind my questions you already answered them.

Good Job

You are ready to illustrate the covers of romance novels. Try drawing Fabio next

edit on 7-12-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway

I'm a full time painter, working in oils. (retired from something else. Now I have time) I specialize in portrait work. I'm also a realist painter. I'm giving you that background because I wanted to tell you that your work is NOT the work of an unskilled beginner. You've done two pieces that certainly were not easy. And you did them well.

Now, as far as whether or not you ought to invest in materials and continue. You should if you want to. Most people doing art seriously do it because they can't not. It isn't whether you will end up rich, because you most likely won't. It's about whether it feeds your soul. Do it for that reason, and the rest follows.

I like the way that you worked with tone and line in the first one. The hair is believable, but not labored. Your drawing skills are solid if you could nail a reasonable likeness like this in such a short time. I would have guessed that this was the work of a more practiced artist.

I'd sat it's up to you whether or not you go on. There is no wrong choice. But it needs to come from your heart, not from advice from other people.

Oh! And it's never a waste of time. There is such joy in doing this.

I must totally agree... looking at your work you couldn't have possibly started just recently UNLESS you're a prodigy or something. I've been drawing and painting for years and looking at the first one, the hair structure... it states some level of experience. I love to do portraits, I find it difficult because my likes lean towards realistic work ( im not satisfied with my work ). Drawing lightens everything up and when doing a painting ..it gives me some sort of rush... You should pursue it because you love doing it... add some talent to that so yeah...go for it

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
By the Way..... It's neat that you dare to show your work to the crowds. Ballsy in a good way !

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
They are well done albeit it stylistically.

They give me a 1980s vibe..

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lykantroph11

Really? On the first image, try and imagine the subjects
left eye. Good thing she has her 'hair' like that doesn't she

That image is skewed and warped.

The second image... well just check proportions there.

There's absolutely no reason why StealthyKat should stop
drawing if she likes it! I know some artists that can produce an
awesome sketch on a napkin with a 20 cent pencil. It's not
just the materials, it's the time you invest in exploring the
subjects.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

You nailed it! That's what I was saying before...I have trouble with proportion. I love the eyes, so I think I spent more time, but that needs improvement too. Nothing practice and learning won't fix. Oh, and no, I wasn't trying to get it exact, I just looked at a pic of A Jolie (because I just think she's gorgeous) and sort of used it for reference....that's where the lips come from I guess. Thank you for being honest, I appreciate your feedback....

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Woo hoo! Well, that means something! Thanks!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Thanks! I know what you mean, and no offense taken, because they are amatuer
I'll keep studying and maybe post more later to see if I've made any progress. It's not easy, and I appreciate the honesty!

edit on 12/7/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Be HONEST please.....

They are very good amateur renderings, but they are definitely amateuristic. These would impress 95% of the general public, but if you're asking if you have a calling as a professional artist I would say you've got a long road ahead. There are some serious proportion issues with both of them, if you see the problems then perhaps your talent just needs refining through practice and training, but if you don't see the problems then you probably shouldn't think about art as anything more than a hobby. And there's nothing wrong with it being just a hobby, I have no doubt that most people around you would be amazed at your talent. But if you wanted to pursue it as a career you would have to take it to a completely different level.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

Oh I LOVE Nagel! My absolute favorite is Luis Royo....one day, I hope to be able to do this....I know I have a long way to go, but this is the kind of art I love!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well I don't think I'm a prodigy by any means

I don't know what to say except that I have always loved to draw, but this first one is my real TRUE attempt at this type of thing. I just did the hair by drawing it out, the smudging the whole thing, and using the pencil eraser to lighten areas, then repeat etc. Thanks for your thoughts!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

LOL! Yeah, I was nervous because I have seen the other member art, and mine looks so amatuer next to theirs, but I just went for it

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

They are pretty good. If it's a craft you want to perfect, then by all means continue. It's good that you got a positive response from ATS, but it is YOU that must ultimately be pleased with your work.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by snewpers

Thank you for pointing that out!!! I used the hair to cover the mistake....you have just proven that I am only learning...like I said, it was quick practice stuff, not "here are my master showpieces" Thanks!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Oh I definitly realize it. That's why I was afraid to post. But it's something I can work on. That's the reason I did it. I am just learning, and I do see many mistakes....thanks for your advice
I really just to do it as a hobby...I do it to relax....I would just like to get better at it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cointelprotroll

That's right. In the end, if it makes me happy that's all that matters. I just wanted to get a little feedback, and I am getting some good tips.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join