It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Christians eat pork ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Pork eating was only banned for Israelite priests. Leviticus, its name, can translate to the "And He Called" or what you would call the "calling". What this refers to is when a priest, preacher, pastor gets the "calling" from God to become a priest, pastor or whatever.

The word Leviticus comes as a reference to the Levite priests of Israel. It's basically an instruction manual for priests. JUST ONE PROBLEM! People get confused, okay if it's just for priests, how come ALL the Israelite had to follow these rules then?

The question is answered in Exodus where God tells all the Israelites that he wants them ALL to live up to the priestly standards. That means ALL of them, priest or not, had to live up to the same standards. But this was only for Israelite. Gentiles were allowed to eat pork.

Another side note, an Israelite has to observe the Sabbath. Gentiles were FORBIDDEN from observing the Sabbath. Another point was Jews were circumcised. Gentiles were not. In fact in the Bible Gentiles are referred to as the uncircumcised. The point is, there was a hard difference between Jew and Gentile before Jesus came. The only rules that Gentiles were bound by were the Seven Laws of Noah.

Gentiles were FORBIDDEN from following any other Jewish laws unless they converted totally. The Jewish people saw the 613 Mitzvot, or rules, special rules that if they followed them they would have favor with their God and be looked as his special people. They did not want the gentiles living their lifestyle because they saw them as dogs and didn't want them having favor with God. That was their view.

Now, the point of all this? In the NT Paul tells us that there is no longer Jew or Gentile. They are no longer a separate people. They are now all believers in Christ.

Romans 10:12: For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

So all that goes out the window. But there's still one question? If we're all the same now, which laws do we follow? Do we follow the 10 commandments? Do we get circumcised? Do we eat pork? Do we worship the Sabbath?

The NT answers all these questions. Which law the believer is to follow in all cases. Either the Jewish law, or the Gentile law. In Matthew 5 Jesus regives the 7 Laws/10 Commandments. We're still under those.

But Paul tells us that the believer in Jesus need not be circumcised.
Romans 2 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Now, you could say, wait, if they had to be circumcised, why don't they now? If they couldn't eat pork, how can they now? But to answer that question you have to answer WHO they are? Jew or Gentile?

If you think about what you're asking, what you're really asking is, if the Jews couldn't eat pork, then how come the Gentiles can now? You see, when you realize what you're asking your question makes no sense. The reason the Gentiles can eat pork now, is because they ALWAYS could eat pork. Nothing has changed.

When Jesus came he combined both Jews and Gentiles into a third group, those saved in Christ. But that causes confusion for the early church leaders. When the Jewish rules and the Gentile rules contradict each other, which one were we supposed to follow? Nobody knew, the early Christians had to answer each contradiction and create a third set of rules for the born again person that was neither Gentile or Jew.

When it comes to dietary laws, the NT answers that question. Acts 11: 8 I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth. 9 The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.

Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Simple as that. We can eat pork simply because eating pork was never banned for Gentiles or the born again in the first place. Only Jews, and I ain't Jewish. If you love Bacon, you love Jesus. That's just the way it is.
edit on 6-12-2011 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
First, you do not know what Jesus did or did not eat. I bet he chowed on some pork chops.

Second, you are quoting the Old Testament. Jesus came to transcend most of those stupid those old laws (such as animal sacrifice, etc). Since Judaism follows the OT, and does recognize Jesus as SoG, they adhere to the OT laws (well, SOME of them). Christians, following Jesus, with transcendence of OT laws into the NT, really dig pork.

Third: Pork taste good, bacon taste good.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Jesus also said it was much more important what came out of your mouth than what went into it. When Christianity was out beating the bushes for new members, refusing to eat something offered to you because it wasn't kosher was just another opportunity missed.

Of course, the Gnostic Jesus also laughed at his Apostles for praying or doing any other kind of ritual, because he taught that the true Creator God of the Universe was so far beyond our understanding that prayer was pointless. Being good to your fellow human beings was way more important than adherence to useless ritual, including food restrictions.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Christians eat pork because its their own doctrine that has been twisted by absorbing pagan religions into it. Christians dont teach what the righteousness of the Law really is, and dont understand it either.

Here is one passage of Scripture that Christians will try to defend eating pork. Kepha or Peter is speaking here.

Acts 10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Kepha went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Kepha; kill, and eat.
10:14 But Kepha said, Not so, Master; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
KJV Restored

Now to fully understand what is meant here you must read the rest of the Chapter.

Acts 10:17 Now while Kepha doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate,
10:18 And called, and asked whether Simon, which was surnamed Kepha, were lodged there.
10:19 While Kepha thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.
10:20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
10:21 Then Kepha went down to the men which were sent unto him from Cornelius; and said, Behold, I am he whom ye seek: what is the cause wherefore ye are come?
10:22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth Elohim, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from Elohim by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
10:23 Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow Kepha went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
10:24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
10:25 And as Kepha was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him.
10:26 But Kepha took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.
10:27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
KJV Restored

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
Jesus also said it was much more important what came out of your mouth than what went into it. When Christianity was out beating the bushes for new members, refusing to eat something offered to you because it wasn't kosher was just another opportunity missed.

Of course, the Gnostic Jesus also laughed at his Apostles for praying or doing any other kind of ritual, because he taught that the true Creator God of the Universe was so far beyond our understanding that prayer was pointless. Being good to your fellow human beings was way more important than adherence to useless ritual, including food restrictions.

It depends on what type of prayer you're referring to. You should look up the Biblical concept of "works". Praying to commune with God is okay. But some people in other religions pray for another reason. To be saved. They pray a certain amount of times per day, they have to face a certain direction, all that kind of stuff.

The NT refers to this kind of behavior as "works". You're trying to do some kind of work or task, that if you do it just right, like eating just the right things, it'll save you. The NT abolishes this kind of "work" because it won't save you. According to the NT Jesus has already saved you and there's no work left to do. This is why on the cross Jesus said, it is done. Meaning all the work is done, he has done it for you.

So all your "works" are laughable and not needed. They won't save you. That's the NT view.
edit on 6-12-2011 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
reply to post by sacgamer25

Jesus Christ said in Matthew that He came to uphold the law, not abolish it.
There is no old or new law

If you understood what I said than you wouldn't make that statement. Since you are only here to cause confusion and division and not here to understand the truth, there is no point in debating this.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
Jesus also said it was much more important what came out of your mouth than what went into it.

That was very profound Blue!
Indeed, the rituals mankind hold to be meaningful , mean less to GOD than our mere breath.
The wind in the trees has more meaning to the Creator.
Breath, and make each breath a praise to the Lord of All!
edit on 6-12-2011 by Zeptepi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

I have lots of good questions like yours:

Why don't christian men wear robes?

Why don't christian men speak in parables?

Why don't christian men hang on crosses?

Why don't christian men walk on water?

Why don't christian men raise dead men named Lazarus from the grave?

Why aren't christian men named Jesus?

My questions are about my observations of so called "Christians" and the Christian faith.
It seems most Christians way of life is completely different from Jesus way of life, that's it.

It does may you think.

Like Sahabi said earlier, most Christians are Paulians, and don't follow Jesus footsteps.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

All I can say it is called compromise nothing more nothing less

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Very little is actually known about how Jesus lived, what was written is from several hundred years AD.
and was heavily edited. Most of those old "don't eat pork" edits were a control feature of the early church. Basicly to keep the "faithful" alive. They did not have the food and drug admin. or the USDA to keep the "faithful" safe.
Thank Upton Sinclair (last century) .. The Church "fathers" had to use scare tactics to "be fruitful and multiply" If they had no faithful, they had no church.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Interesting responses. All food animals will at times eat their own feces at one time or another, depends on the animals personality, to some extent. Fish will do the same, scavenge on the substrate and suck up other fish crap. Pigas are supposedly very intelligent, compared to cows etc.

My father told me that when he was a kid most people didnt particularly care for fish and it was considered lower end of the culinary chain, want to talk about scavengers? Many fish will eat just about anything that floats by, including turds.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I just see the bible as a way our ancestors had to live because of sanitary and social reasons.

Eating something like pork back then was an easy way to get yourself sick, and or possibly spread disease.

Not now though, we have tech that can prolong the life of any meat.

For the social part, it was like the laws we have today to keep the peace, and have some sort of authority over society... to keep them in check with fear (like fears used on us today to go into unjust wars)

It was about social control, and also prevent diseases from spreading through a whole town due to dirty meat... pigs do roll around in the mud... and i can imagine dirty as hell way back when if you had to kill and eat one...

Half of it was precaution and the other half was about control... using the fear of god to compel and conform you!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What would Christmas be without the ham ?
2nd

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeptepi

Very little is actually known about how Jesus lived, what was written is from several hundred years AD.
and was heavily edited. Most of those old "don't eat pork" edits were a control feature of the early church. Basicly to keep the "faithful" alive. They did not have the food and drug admin. or the USDA to keep the "faithful" safe.
Thank Upton Sinclair (last century) .. The Church "fathers" had to use scare tactics to "be fruitful and multiply" If they had no faithful, they had no church.

Which church are you talking about? Are you claiming the early Catholic Church changed the OT? In what year? We have OT manuscripts from BC before Jesus was even born with the same dietary restrictions in them, so the Catholic Church couldn't have added those. The Catholic Church didn't even exist yet.

So which exact church were you talking about?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

It's from a Vision Peter had.

Peter’s Vision

9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17 While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. 18 They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three[a] men are looking for you. 20 So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”

21 Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”

22 The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” 23 Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the believers from Joppa went along. 24 The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26 But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”
27 While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. 29 So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?”

The general thought is that eating such animals doesn't matter for faith. The Jews were restricted from eating to open a dialogue about why they do such things for God. The Christians, specifically the gentiles, were given freedom from this for their faith. That Jesus has restored all past inequity and made clean all filth.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

You're quoting the Old Testament. When Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected, the Old Testament became moreless a history book, and Christians follow the new laws. The New Testament.

Christians do as they like with their hair. Our God will not condemn us because of our hair. Our God will not send us into hellfire for eating a pork chop or a BLT.

I hope that answers your questions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join