It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Use Foreign Aid to Promote Gay Rights Abroad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

U.S. to Use Foreign Aid to Promote Gay Rights Abroad

www.nytimes.com

The United States will begin using American foreign aid to promote gay rights abroad, Obama administration officials said on Tuesday.

President Obama issued a memorandum directing American agencies to look for ways to combat efforts by foreign governments to criminalize homosexuality.

The presidential memorandum said that federal agencies engaged abroad had been directed to “combat the criminalization of L.G.B.T. status or conduct abroad; protect vulnerable L.G.B.T. refugees and asylum s
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Should a nation who's in an economic crisis meddle in the affairs of foreign nations and even go so far as to use foreign aid for that purpose?

Seems like Obama is campaigning globally.

I prefer Star Trek's prime directive, let other nations/planets evolve at their own pace and do not meddle in their affairs.

It is unclear whether because of gay rights abroad if foreign aid will increase or not
My guess is that most likely it will

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Yup, not enough problems at home yet. Gotta go out into the World and spread the love and mix a little war in with it perhaps..

If he really wanted to do something for Gay rights, start at home.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Priorities priorities........some day they will......wait no they wont.
2nd

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Bill Hicks
"C'mon, everybody, let's be hypocritical bastards."

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This is just insane.

Wait until the religious fundamentalists hear about this

Foreign aid can be spent on much more important things in my opinion.

Maybe they could save some of that money and spend it at home instead.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I prefer Star Trek's prime directive, let other nations/planets evolve at their own pace and do not meddle in their affairs.

Makes me happy to see another Trekkie around here.

But in all seriousness I agree, this is not a time to start throwing resources at societies which are less tolerant than our own. We have our own corruption, and destruction of freedom to deal with over here. The people of these intolerant nations need to decide for themselves if they want freedom or control.

All in all I bet Obama is doing this to try and win back some of the many liberal voters he has lost.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
All in all I bet Obama is doing this to try and win back some of the many liberal voters he has lost.

You think?
I'm not sure, with all the wars going on even they should know that this is not a priority
promote gay rights abroad but keep them bombs and drones going abroad too

What do liberals here think about this?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Soo, what about gay rights at home?
Why not start there?

Bah, As soon as i see the end of the tracks, im bootin it out of here and watching the world crumble with my family and friends.

Maybe thats why i dont like having a lot of friends.. Hm.

new topics

join