It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question for all you active duty marines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
can someone bypass the SOI to go to BRC?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm not a Marine, but how could you expect to bypass basic infantry school and just walk into recon school? I'm gonna just guess and say, um, No.

In fact, I thin every Marine has to attend infantry school: it's kinda what they do.
edit on 6-12-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The answer is: No. SOI is considered a screening for BRC. It's a pre-requisite.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I know someone going around saying he bypassed SOI to go to BRC then went to force recon school...I hate liars

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Is there any possibility he transferred in as, say, an Army Ranger, and was allowed to skip?

link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Does his first name begin with Dannion and his last name begin with Brinkley?

link   
no, he said he went to BCT then skipped SOI for BRC

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by schuyler

I know someone going around saying he bypassed SOI to go to BRC then went to force recon school...I hate liars

Lot of that going on nowdays. People like MSgt Soup Sandwich

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

First of all, recon marines, are a step or two hundred above your standard leatherneck. To expect to skip infantry qualification and go straight to the recce course is absurd. Use common sense man.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

First of all, recon marines, are a step or two hundred above your standard leatherneck. To expect to skip infantry qualification and go straight to the recce course is absurd. Use common sense man.

I didn't want to say it quite that point blank, but, yeah. This.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
see, thats what I thought, thanks guys

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Also, if I may.....you may wanna look at what is really happening in the world before even thinking about enlisting in ANY service, Marines included. You know what happens when you get out of the marines? You get your brain back. Also, your armed forces are not used to protect you in the slightest (in all honesty I don't even think that factors in to the equation to the higher brass). Then there's the fact that Vietnam and now Iraq and Afghanistan are/were being fought using tactics that are DESIGNED to stretch the military to it's very limits. One thing I know for sure tho (keeping in mind that I a Canadian vet, not an ex-Marine or anything. Although I did my acclimatization at Pendleton) is that Marine officers (in my experience anyways) have their heads jammed so far up, they don't know whether to crap or wind their wristwatches. Do you really wanna be led be some cocky as$wipe who's connected daddy got him into OCS? To quote the movie "Lions for Lambs", "Never have I seen such lions led by such lambs."

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Also, if I may.....you may wanna look at what is really happening in the world before even thinking about enlisting in ANY service, Marines included. You know what happens when you get out of the marines? You get your brain back. Also, your armed forces are not used to protect you in the slightest (in all honesty I don't even think that factors in to the equation to the higher brass). Then there's the fact that Vietnam and now Iraq and Afghanistan are/were being fought using tactics that are DESIGNED to stretch the military to it's very limits. One thing I know for sure tho (keeping in mind that I a Canadian vet, not an ex-Marine or anything. Although I did my acclimatization at Pendleton) is that Marine officers (in my experience anyways) have their heads jammed so far up, they don't know whether to crap or wind their wristwatches. Do you really wanna be led be some cocky as$wipe who's connected daddy got him into OCS? To quote the movie "Lions for Lambs", "Never have I seen such lions led by such lambs."

Sorry you served with losers. My 13 years of service weren't wonderful, but they gave me the tools and the friends I needed to do well in life. Guess the military hated you as much as you hated it. Seen a few like you go through. You're not missed.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

You're missing the point. At one point I was squared away and ready to do my job but it wore on me after awhile until my GAFF went right down to nil. How well can one be expected to continue thinking like a soldier when leadership was constantly in a state of trying to unf ck itself. Some pretty mediocre individuals are drawn to positions of power (military or otherwise) and I'm sure even you can agree with that. When you throw Murphy's law into the mix...well that's when things get real interesting, and I'm sure you can agree that too. No need for the hostility btw.

new topics

top topics

join