It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nice little stove

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
From Brandon Webb over at Kit-Up:

Brandon is a former SEAL and a great guy. He's taken over Kit Up recently and it's a great site for you geardos out there.

MSR Pocket Rocket

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Awesome stove if you boil 1 cup at a time.
Other than that, I like my lil hobo or my coleman propane.
But for single person hikers pocket rockets are good.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Awesome stove if you boil 1 cup at a time.
Other than that, I like my lil hobo or my coleman propane.
But for single person hikers pocket rockets are good.

It has its place in your kit. I don't think the intent was to roast a pig. Just a handy little compact stove for those cold afternoons of trout fishing or if you need a cup of joe while waiting for the next wave of zombies.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The little Isopropane stoves have their purpose and I like the simplicity and no need to handle liquid fuel. They burn well in multiple climates also. However, in a pinch you may not be able to find these little canisters of fuel when you need them the most. For strictly camping and backpacking or power outages I like them. I've got my eye on a JetBoil system for Christmas.

I like multi-fuel stoves like the MSR whisperlite for this reason of fuel availablity. They burn white gas, unleaded and jet fuel. The alcohol stoves are cool because you can find bottles of Heet (fuel line antifreeze) just about anywhere up in the colder climates or denatured alcohol at any hardware or home improvement store.

The Kit Up site is excellent!!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
just my humble opinion - but the jetboil PCS - is the only mini gas canister stove worthy of consideration ,

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

The Kit Up site is excellent!!

Kit up is frequented and run by some serious dudes. They've been there and done that. Great site, and I tread lightly when I'm there.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Trashed all the old butanes. Had 3 and two different size canisters and it was a pain. But one day i was cooking some camp coffee and the little black gasket popped out and a half full canister rolled down the hill with a 3 foot flame. When i got home they all 3 went in the trash.

Got out my trusty 99 and never looked back. Old school multi-fuel and self cleaning. with the pump, most anything that burns is good. 2# thats worth every oz.

www.spiritburner.com.../472/
edit on 7-12-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I lived off of one of those for two months.

It worked great. I had the one with the ignition switch on it that broke on the second day of travel. After that I lighted it with a flint.

I don't like the whole proprietary fuel thing but it is fast to boil, small and light.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Kill two birds with one stone. Not a good backpacking option but great for base camp.

www.lanternnet.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

proprietary fuels are the devils work

i accept the ties that propane or butane stoves have - simply because for short term and light weigh trips - they are unbeatable

plus - they are almost zero maintainence - if put away clean - they will assemble and fire up instantly - no worries about fuel leaks , fuel degradation etc etc or having fuel + primer

but liquid fuel stoves should run on a variety - or at least blended fuel

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have a msr pocketrocket and a snowpeak giga. Both are excellent but I personally prefer the giga. Can't go wrong with either of them, though. As mentioned before, the pezio lighters on these stoves are just silly.

Can't go wrong with a penny stove you can make yourself and they are very popular now.

It's amazing how far lightweight pack gear has come in the last few years. It's been revolutionary
edit on 7-12-2011 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
I have a msr pocketrocket and a snowpeak giga. Both are excellent but I personally prefer the giga. Can't go wrong with either of them, though. As mentioned before, the pezio lighters on these stoves are just silly.

Can't go wrong with a penny stove you can make yourself and they are very popular now.

It's amazing how far lightweight pack gear has come in the last few years. It's been revolutionary
edit on 7-12-2011 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

Agreed. The ability to literally carry a camp in your backpack over the last 10 years is crazy.

I only offered this post as a data point, not intending to drive people to buy it but to just let you folks know what's available. If you have something more effective, then that's awesome: share.

top topics

join