It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Could Get Kill-Switch for Cell Phones

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Government Could Get Kill-Switch for Cell Phones

rt.com

Following the decision from city officials in San Francisco to kill cell phone service at a moment’s notice throughout the Bay Area, the FCC is examining how a proposal of their own could implement similar measures across the US.

­California residents outraged at ongoing acts of violence carried out in the hands of Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officers in recent years displayed their disgust with a series of demonstrations earlier this year, which triggered city officials to throttle cell phone service in hopes of deterring angry riders from organizing protests. Despite a backlash of co
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
So now the good people at the FCC are considering changing national legislation to make this a nationwide practice. This doesn't sound very democratic. I'm sure one of the main reasons is to stop people from twittering and streaming police brutality and government corruption.

I must admit it would be a good way to silence a lot of the alternative news reporters and bloggers. I definitely don't agree with it though.

The American government blasted Middle Eastern governments for stopping phone and internet service during the Arab Spring, but now they're wanting to do the same thing to they're own people back home.

Am I the only one seeing the irony in this?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

No you are not CE. I see how thats ironic. The good ol' FCC making themselves a bigger pain in the a*s for Americans.

Gov't control is getting waaaay out of control.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I'm not American but here in Canada our country's policies are very much related, especially lately with all the behind the scenes talks between Harper and Obama. If this happens in the U.S. it won't be long before it happens here too. We're systematically losing all our rights.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I'm not American but here in Canada our country's policies are very much related, especially lately with all the behind the scenes talks between Harper and Obama. If this happens in the U.S. it won't be long before it happens here too. We're systematically losing all our rights.

I'm sorry I shouldn't have assumed you are American given the fact ATS is a international site. I don't really know much about what goes on "up there" but I am again assuming its much like American politics...?

-SAP-
edit on 6-12-2011 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
nothing new there... the u.s government does what it wants to and holds itself above the law..

the way things are going the u.s government is making sure that word of its misdeeds is harder to get out... typical behavior for an oppressive regime.. thats 21st century 'freedom and democracy' in action...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No worries, I assume people's nationality's on here all the time

And yes, it's very similar up here. Lately our government has been adopting a very hardline approach. We have new crime legislation that would make the creators of the Patriot Act proud.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
...STILL tapping my foot waiting on people to get their fill so we can make moves, march, and end this madness......

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Lol Ben Franklin would be kicking every one of these polticians in the sack (or whatever they have). This is most def NOT what America's fore fathers had in mind when they created the country and liberated it from England. Its almost sickening...

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
...Here at the FCC, we are quite tired of our quality law enforcement, politicians, 'friends' and everyday life dirty laundry being hung out for all to see. So, in the best interests of the American people
, we have decided to censor all of real life so as to protect everyone from us, im sorry i mean yourselves...Its in your best interests, I assure you...

Weeee isnt this a fun ride we're on?! Dont forget, everyone of us can be labeled a 'terrorist' now...ATS Thread

Watch your backside..:shk:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Sure, the FCC may close the network, however they can't stop cameras from working. If everyone just remembers to film what happens and upload, the whole world gets to see. Sooner or later this madness must come to an end!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverkiss
Sure, the FCC may close the network, however they can't stop cameras from working. If everyone just remembers to film what happens and upload, the whole world gets to see. Sooner or later this madness must come to an end!

You are right. Except we can't upload without any network access..

I think I am going to but a pocket sized camera one of these days. Both for my personal reasons and for the good ol' ATS threads.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

No need, a good smart phone comes with a 5megapixel HD camera. Just because you do not have 'service' does not mean the functions on the phone will stop working. Record video, take it home, upload to your computer, then BAM! Real life exposed - uncensored haha!

Power to the people - if there is a will there is a way!

(PS, i just learned about that emoticon soo i wanted to use it haha)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This makes sense as far as our Dictator's go, with the Indefinite Detention Bill waiting in the wings for the House to pass it into Law, they will have to cut off communications when they start arresting Patriots under suspicion of being a Domestic Terrorist. I never would have dreamed in a million years that America would have became a Militaristic Police State before 911. I don't think we have seen anything yet....
edit on 12/6/11 by kennylee because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatGuy45

No need, a good smart phone comes with a 5megapixel HD camera. Just because you do not have 'service' does not mean the functions on the phone will stop working. Record video, take it home, upload to your computer, then BAM! Real life exposed - uncensored haha!

Power to the people - if there is a will there is a way!

(PS, i just learned about that emoticon soo i wanted to use it haha)

Awesome. Forgot about phones uploading. Been a long day... >.>

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Internet kill switch, cell phone kill switch, land line phone kill switch, TV kill switch (made easier by all TVs going digital), radio kill switch (radio station are going digital) and jamming for such things as walkie talkies and CB and ham radios. We are getting set up so that can black out all communication at the flick of a switch. They want to be able to make us deaf, blind and dumb any time they wish. I wish I could wake up from this nightmare.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Ah ya beat me to it!

Here's a link to an ATS thread on the Internet kill switch

yep, a lot of mechanisms being put into place for a big ole wipe out...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
taking pictures is fine and dandy...

however boys and girls youre overlooking one minor detail... in event they start shutting down communications networks they will also be confiscating cameras from those taking pictures that they dont want getting out.. argue when they try to take your camera and at very least you'll get a severe beating at worst shot dependent upon the mood of the minion who wants to seize your camera for taking pictures in a prohibited zone ( a catch all to justify seizing cameras and arresting photographers )
guaranteed they will seize cameras and arrest those taking pics in such situations.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I'm sure they will. Freedom is achieved through a struggle. Same way we (my American brothers and sisters) get our freedom back, we fight for it. RAWR!

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Im curious: how can they 'legally' confiscate your image capturing device? what new BS bill is that under?

Thats 2nd amendment - right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join