It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney will skip debate hosted by Donald Trump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Romney will skip debate hosted by Donald Trump

PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney says he will not participate in a debate being hosted this month by real estate mogul and TV personality Donald Trump.

Romney told Fox News on Tuesday that he called Trump and told him he would not attend.

Several prominent Republicans have urged candidates to skip the Trump debate. They predict it will be a media circus and a distraction from important issues.

Well, looks like the good Dr. made yet another wise choice.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't understand what Trump thinks he's doing hosting this event. The ego on that bastard amazes me.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I hope Ron Paul started a trend the rest will soon follow! Romney dropping out is another step in the right direction. Trump is a clown! Nobody should show up for this BS unless they replace the clown as moderator.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Great! A few more and Gingrich will be debating himself.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I heard that Donald Trump is also skipping the Trump debate.

I don't know whose idea it was to have a reality show star host a political debate in the first place... I don't want any "Housewives" or "Survivor" winner hosting a political debate either... WTH?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
.. that would be interesting, Newt is on so many different sides of the problems, he techincally COULD debate himself lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I hope Ron Paul started a trend the rest will soon follow!

Jon Hunstman started the trend and was the first to bow out officially....not Ron Paul.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThetaNuRucka
.. that would be interesting, Newt is on so many different sides of the problems, he techincally COULD debate himself lol.

That should go in someone's political ad!! Awesome.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Looks like Newt will be alone and debating himself...

He's Right side will debate the Left. Should be a good show.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Notice how Trump is blasting every candidate that refuses to participate in this? First Huntsman and Paul, now Romney's passing the honor check. Better late than never.

Gingrich, Perry, etc have none unless they refuse to be moderated by this guy. I think the general consensus of the entire country is clear: Trump has no business moderating, or for that matter being involved in any way in this GOP race. He already screwed over his supporters (whoever the heck they might be?!) by jumping out of it himself as soon as a single poll showed him in any sort of lead earlier in the year.

I have a suspicion that at the end of the debate or shortly thereafter, he would most likely use the opportunity to declare he is once again running for office, as he will claim the current candidate roundup cannot compare to the almighty Trump, and in his usual Trump voice, will state that this country is in dire need of his intervention.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That should go in someone's political ad!! Awesome.

Yes, and it could be structured something like this. Hopefully, no one will claim "copyright infringement" or some such:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by seabag

I hope Ron Paul started a trend the rest will soon follow!

Jon Hunstman started the trend and was the first to bow out officially....not Ron Paul.

Well I must give credit where credit is due! Good Job, Huntsman!

I guess Paul's exit was just more memorable because of the great explanation his team gave.

“The Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Committee rejects the selection of Donald Trump as moderator for the Republican presidential debate to be held on December 27th in Iowa.
“We have conferred with our Iowa campaign chairman Drew Ivers and vice-chairmen David Fischer and A.J. Spiker who are all RPI State Central Committee Members, and they concur with this decision.
“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity. Mr. Trump’s participation as moderator will distract from questions and answers concerning important issues such as the national economy, crushing federal government debt, the role of the federal government, foreign policy, and the like. To be sure, Mr. Trump’s participation will contribute to an unwanted circus-like atmosphere.
“Mr. Trump’s selection is also wildly inappropriate because of his record of toying with the serious decision of whether to compete for our nation’s highest office, a decision he appeared to make frivolously. The short-lived elevation of Mr. Trump’s stature as a candidate put him on the radar of many organizations and we recall that last spring he was invited to keynote the Republican Party of Iowa’s annual Reagan Dinner, yet at the last minute he left RPI holding the bag by canceling. In turn, RPI canceled its biggest fundraising gala of the year and suffered embarrassment and in addition RPI was required to engage in refunding measures. Our candidate will not even consider participating in the late-December debate until Mr. Trump publicly apologizes to Iowa party leaders and rectifies in full the situation.
“Therefore our candidate Ron Paul, the champion of the Constitution, has advised he will not attend.”

link

That’s good stuff right there!! That should have been signed by ALL of the candidates.
edit on 6-12-2011 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

I’ll bet anything that if the debate actually happens, Trump will endorse Gingrich the next day!

Any takers? $$$$

Trump has said once again that he’s not going to run….

I have been deeply flattered that so many people have asked me to run for President.

First, when I was considering a Republican bid, and I led in national polls.

Since then, some have even suggested I run as a third party candidate.

Let me be clear: I do not want to run as a third party candidate.

My priority, my number one priority, is to defeat Barack Obama in 2012.

I want to support and endorse the Republican candidate for president.

Right now, Republicans are going through an important process to pick that candidate.

Almost every major candidate has come to my office, met privately with me and has sought my endorsement.

I have told them what I have said publicly. I will support the Republican candidate best able to defeat Barack Obama and the one who shares the values of most Americans: a strong belief in the free enterprise system and an unwavering commitment to a strong America.

To this end, I have agreed to moderate The Newsmax ION Television 2012 Presidential Debate. Millions of Americans will tune in. This will give me and America a fantastic opportunity to vet these candidates.

Also, I have just written a new book – “Time to Get Tough!” which reveals how we can defeat Barack Obama and save America.

My sole priority is to accomplish this mission.

link

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by gladtobehere

I hope Ron Paul started a trend the rest will soon follow! Romney dropping out is another step in the right direction. Trump is a clown! Nobody should show up for this BS unless they replace the clown as moderator.

Huntsman said he wouldn't participate from the very beginning, just like Paul.

So this debate is just gonna be Newt, Santorum, and Bauchman pretty much.

What a joke

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The funny thing is that Gingrich if you listen to his positions on many subjects over the years has been on both sides of the issue. As the now well known Ron Paul ad states. He is a serial hypocrite so in fact he could actually debate himself I am sure. The Donald clown could just show clips of Gingrich taking a position on a subject he has since flipped on and then Gingrich could defend his new position.

edit on 6-12-2011 by wayouttheredude because: dyslexic

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

What about Perry? He is a media whore, and he is running a campaign on cash alone, no substance.

I would bet he would go and court Trump and get the TV time.

Plus, it is the first debate he has any chance of winning, LOL!!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
i think the other candidates are waiting for the public reaction. being present at the debate with trump as moderator may do more to alienate potential supporters than they could gain by discussing their views.

i would LOVE it if a few more people decline and the committee that selects the moderator goes to trump and says "i'm sorry mr. trump, but we're going to have to replace you". his ego is so inflated that i'm sure his reaction would be one for the record books.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

top topics

join