It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you protect your ATS identity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I personally try to.

I was just wondering because I was recently in a thread with a troll and he had his real name in his signature. Within a few minutes, I knew everything I needed to know about him and then some.

I think that's crazy.

How do you feel about your screen name?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

My screen name is well known by my friends.
And, I guess I really don't worry about protecting my identity, I just don't, like, give out my address and phone number. lol

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My user name loosely contains info about my real name. On the other hand, I have a photo of myself as my avatar, lol. I don't really want anyone knowing a lot about me but if someone really wants to know/find me, then I guess that's what they are going to do.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Some people are very naive when they first get on the internet. It usually takes a few trojan viruses and some identity theft for some to smarten up and protect their systems & identities better.

Posting comments on a site like this under your real name is only a problem when people decide to look you up online and find out all your personal information, then post a thread talking about it, lmao.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I really don't mind if people know who I am now to be honest.

I have a lot of members from this site on facebook and skype where my real name is listed. Some members I've spoken to on the phone. Some others even have my home address, lol. But I think that's great though. I love getting to know people from this website in real life.

edit on 6-12-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
I personally try to.

I was just wondering because I was recently in a thread with a troll and he had his real name in his signature. Within a few minutes, I knew everything I needed to know about him and then some.

I think that's crazy.

How do you feel about your screen name?

I feel fine about my screen name...it is not my real name...ATS has my SN and my Email address...that is all.

I just don't understand why anyone would put their real name and/or any other personal information on here...but some do. They put their birthdays etc.

I personally feel that over-all the ATS membership (for the most part) has good people in it...but there are always those few we can never be quite sure of.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I try not to divulge much about my personnel life on ATS or other info. But a couple of the mods know who I am and so far they haven't turned states evidence against me

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If you dig through my posts, you can probably figure out what metro area I live in, but I think that's about it.

I'm not a hacker or a big investigator or anything. It just struck me that this guy would spout off so big on ATS and have his personal info with it.

If you can find out who I am, please U2U me on how.

link   

What's his user name?

jk
edit on 6-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

link   

I protect mine , because I dont want crazies like you Googling me
j/k your not crazy...or are you.

I dont think I have revealed anything about myself other than where I used to live (Memphis TN) and where I live now (Los Angeles) and if you can find out who I am by just knowing that I applaud your computer skills.

In the end I think you never really know if someone is telling the truth on the internet or not, people make fake Facebook profiles with random pictures found on the web. Hell I bet a good 25% of the accounts on Facebook are fake or some sort of bot, I bet some of the accounts on here are the same.

Damn Disinfo bots

edit on 6-12-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

See. That's what I'm talking about. This guy has his real pics all over. He's no mastermind. Either that or he just doesn't care.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I am glad no one knows who I am in real life.

I have had death threats simply for disagreeing about a subject on several occasions. Thankfully the ATS membership is fairly mature compared to other websites though, so it's more uncommon to have such reactions here.

Now, if we are talking about the shadow gov't killing me, I cannot possibly prevent or stop that, since they can easily track me down no matter how well I try to disguise myself. But I don't really think they care about coming after me either since it's a waste of their time. So that's beside the point.

It's the random crazy person I am more concerned about.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That's where I'm at. I don't need some random ATSer showing up at my door.

I know we're all crazy, but shades of grey.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
don't fool yourself
Nothing's safe on the internet
All you can do is weed out the enquisitive from the skilled and the skilled from the pro
I for example belong to no social networks don't used my name on any email account. random email addresses regularly search for myself online and in various databases , I read and research online a lot in my free time but have only ever felt compelled to post online on 2 sites this one and one other
I don't even have a store card/loyalty card
Have used mobile and remote networks and some VERY cool technology that you'd have to send me to hog warts to learn
But still ..............
I don't feel safe - maybe against the enquisitive ...maybe against the lower end of skilled ?
But anything above that - if they wanna know they'll find out

So maybe a challenge ?
To test what I've ultimately spent the last 20 years trying to do
I'd like to know just who could find me ( if anything you'd probably do me and others a favour and identify weaknesses in our Internet usage )
Find me and email me with what you find ........

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
To be honest when i first signed up I didnt think I would be sticking around, so just used a quick nick name. I would rather not have my surname as my screen name but, I guess i'll just have to takes me chances.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'd never put my name, exact location, or address. But I do put a lot of basic info about me. If someone wants to go to the trouble of looking through 2000 posts to piece together my life story, more power to them.

I don't tell my friends or family my username, or even that I frequent this site, but if they read some of my posts, they'd probably realize it was me.

The feds already know everything about me so it's not like I got anything to worry about there, hehe.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
don't fool yourself
Nothing's safe on the internet
All you can do is weed out the enquisitive from the skilled and the skilled from the pro
I for example belong to no social networks don't used my name on any email account. random email addresses regularly search for myself online and in various databases , I read and research online a lot in my free time but have only ever felt compelled to post online on 2 sites this one and one other
I don't even have a store card/loyalty card
Have used mobile and remote networks and some VERY cool technology that you'd have to send me to hog warts to learn
But still ..............
I don't feel safe - maybe against the enquisitive ...maybe against the lower end of skilled ?
But anything above that - if they wanna know they'll find out

So maybe a challenge ?
To test what I've ultimately spent the last 20 years trying to do
I'd like to know just who could find me ( if anything you'd probably do me and others a favour and identify weaknesses in our Internet usage )
Find me and email me with what you find ........

lol, 5 minutes later....
*ring ring*
"Who is this?"

"You asked me to find you.'

"How did you find me so quickly, and how'd you get my phone number?"

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm just trying to make it easy for the recruiters in the Black Ops Division of the Illuminant New World Order to find me. I've already put in my application via ATS years ago. There's an open field across the street in case they use exotic modes of transport. Even though they haven't gotten here I've used the intervening years to hone my skills, particularly with firearms. I guess it kind of depends on what you intend how well you need to hide.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Check your U2U and let me know.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I think you're trying to scare any potential ATStalkers from wanting to find you!

Good strategy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join