It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military pays SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Keplerians? Is that what we would call them?

Anyway, "space situational awareness" definitely sounds ominous! It makes me think that they would not tell us if SETI picked up a signal because the military would want to make sure they have their space guns pointing that way first. Why not make science the priority here? I don't think that even the most optimistic scholar would think that we have much of a chance of defeating any space-traveling entities that might oppose us. I am willing to bet everything that evolution pushes intellectuals towards pacifism.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

The Air Force is not interested in the use of the Allen array for the detection of extraterrestrial signals. SETI is selling them time on their equipment to study ways to track objects in Earth orbit. It's a bonus. SETI was able to put the array back online through private donations.

www.seti.org...

edit on 12/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I use to have my PC all the time.
but I did not think they did only what they told us.
and now people PC are being use for the MOD!
I wonder if they have told them?
have to check ther forum.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Wait whoa! I thought SETI was closed down due to budget cuts along with NASA no longer flying the shuttle. So NOW they get excited fire the damn thing up to aim at Kepler 22? I smell bluebeam!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by merkej23

No. They got "excited" a couple of months ago.
news.sciencemag.org...

I think it may have gone back online in November.
info.setistars.org...
edit on 12/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Still I smell bluebeam

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by whatwasthat

Yes. That is what I thought. Thanks for verifying.

Don't lasers travel 300 times faster than light in space?

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Why does everything have to be negative on here?

How do we even know that Bluebeam is real and not a fantasy of those that are overly paranoid?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by eyespying

No. They don't.

The important thing, however, is that whilst the group velocity can be manipulated to be faster than the speed of light, it is not possible to use this effect to send information faster than the speed of light.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
If the planet in question emits radio signals it means they have had this tech for at least 600 years.

We have had radio technology for less than 150 years.. We should probably not mess with a race that is a minimum of 450 years more advanced,,

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

What are the chances they have developed better tech than we have? Just as high.

It's an unknown. I'm certain we're not a special case (well in some ways we might be) and certainly not the most advanced.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
So exactly what do we do when we find alien life? Oh yeah that is right they won't tell us about it. Everything is used to boost the military, thats what it seems like.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Very interesting. There is, in my small opinion, a chance that we could find something.

I do have to wonder, though, what if we are the most advanced life forms out there?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Why does everything have to be negative on here?

How do we even know that Bluebeam is real and not a fantasy of those that are overly paranoid?

Because every government lies through its teeth everyday

Second

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
We're looking for them on this new planet, but perhaps they
have already found us.

Anyway, with every year that passes, the rise in planet's discovered, rises exponentially,
it seems that planets are very,very,very common.

It is very likely then, that the Aliens already know we are here.

Have they visited? Well that's another question.

edit on 8-12-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
There seems to be a misconception among people on ATS as to how SETI works. SETI does not and can not detect leakage from a civilization.In otherwords, if there were aliens on Kepler 22B using the exact same SETI program we are and they aimed their dishes towards Earth, they would not detect our radio transmissions weve been leaking for awhile now.

The type of transmissions SETI can detect are those made deliberately toward us and only on a narrow frequency range. So unless we are listening to a particular world at the exact time a signal from them arrives here and during its duration and on the specific frequency range of SETI (Hydrogen) we'd never see it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The Allen Telescope Array is not, like some SETI projects, confined to the frequency range immediately around the hydrogen radio emission at ~1420 MHz. It can receive over a very substantial range of frequencies, from 500 MHz to 11.2 GHz. If a civilization even modestly more advanced than our own cared to learn about an inhabited universe, they could detect the elements, such as oxygen, methane and carbon dioxide, that reveal the presence of life on a planet. They could then direct radio signals to such planets, including our own.. We could be on a long list of planets that periodically receives such signals. If we listen patiently, we might receive them. Ross

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

If SETI announces an alien signal found it will be too much of a coincidence for me, lol. The chances of kepler 22b having aliens that have built radio transmitters is astronomical IMO.

Why ?
If I put my fishing net into the ocean I won't very likely catch fish, narrow the search based on known facts and environmentals and the odds are much better.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
awesome topic, the title is not bogus as there is significant intel the AF is funding a particular discovery in the works.

SETI back on track after US Military funding

Jan 03 2012 - The Search for Extra Terrestrial intelligence (SETI) is back on track after funding from the U.S. Air Force Space Command. SETI plans to check out the new habitable exoplanets recently discovered by NASA’s Kepler space telescope to determine if they might be a home to an alien civilization. “This is a superb opportunity for SETI observations,” said Jill Tarter, the Director of the Center for SETI Research, in a statement issued yesterday.

“For the first time, we can point our telescopes at stars, and know that those stars actually host planetary systems – including at least one that begins to approximate an Earth analog in the habitable zone around its host star. That’s the type of world that might be home to a civilization capable of building radio transmitters.”

The U.S. Air Force Space Command helped fund SETI because it said it is interested in using the organization’s detection instruments for “space situational awareness.” NASA announced the discovery its Kepler spacecraft has made of many exoplanets orbiting other stars. It found one planet, known as Kepler-22b, that it described as Earth’s “twin”.

Kepler-22b orbits a Sun-like G type star about 600 light years away at a distance that could allow for an environment to contain liquid water. SETI said that work at the Alien Telescope Array (ATA) has been made possible thanks to the interest and generosity of the public and the U.S. Air Force. The Air Force said SETI’s ATA could be handy in picking up transmissions from spacecraft, which could help existing military Space Surveillance Network keep an eye on where they are. The ATA is a set of 42 radio dishes located about 300 miles northeast of San Francisco.

the new release "Battleship" (2012) featuring Rihanna, depicts how advanced and weaponized the alien response & 'first contact' to our signal might be:

aside from bigear, SETI has for some time now, receiving some darn good candidate Alien SignalS..

and makes a point to clarify Spaceships are NOT headed toward Earth (how would they be sure, though?)

www.seti.org...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join