It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military pays SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has announced that it is back in business checking out the new habitable exoplanets recently discovered by NASA's Kepler space telescope to see if they might be home to alien civilisations. The cash needed to restart SETI's efforts has come in part from the US Air Force Space Command, who are interested in using the organisation's detection instruments for "space situational awareness".

Thought some might find this to be an interesting article. I know I did. That phrase "space situational awareness", funny one isn't it. When I hear it I have images of dusty little alien town being bombed by Humans with big moustaches and even bigger cigars. Anyway enough with the gross stereotyping.

Please enjoy.

www.theregister.co.uk...

ALS
edit on 6-12-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thanks.

edit on 6-12-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

If SETI announces an alien signal found it will be too much of a coincidence for me, lol. The chances of kepler 22b having aliens that have built radio transmitters is astronomical IMO.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Opps sorry.

www.theregister.co.uk...

ALS

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Hey you never know, surely with each Exo-planet we find the chance of finding other life increases.

ALS

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Ancient extraterrestrials will send earthlings back to caves without warning, before the US military have any chance of take their bloodlust to an extra-solar planet.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Great find. More and more new is popping up about this. I wonder how long it is going to take them to confirm or deny anything? Hopefully the do find SOMETHING.

S&F

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The odds of another race developing or utilizing a type of radio transmission technology are not as astronomical as you may initially think.

Radio is just part of the EM Spectrum, of which visible light is as well.

What else could they use to communicate other than the EM spectrum in the first place? Well maybe some form of non-locality technology is possible which is faster than light, but we simply are too primitive to understand that stuff very well yet.

So the odds of them using the EM spectrum are actually quite good.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I thought it was 600 "light" years away? The SETI telescope uses radio. Not sure what the thinking behind this is. Can someone explain?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

This is great and all but how is it that they plan to do this? On the surface this seems like an excellent idea...but without knowing what kind of instruments they will be using, what criteria is needed, and the MO...I got to say this is a waste of money.
A more viable option would be to send a rover...it would probably take the same amount of time for the rover to reach the planet as it would for any SETI signal...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The Air Force's interest in the Allan array has nothing to do with Kepler 22 or ET. It began more than two years ago.

The Air Force was interested in the potential for the Allen array to be used in tracking objects in Earth orbit.

AFSPC is exploring opportunities in academia and the commercial sector that could provide suitable cost-effective means for augmenting Space Command's Space Surveillance mission. The Allen Telescope Array (ATA), located in Northern California is one such opportunity. The ATA which is operated by the SETI Institute and its partner, the Radio Astronomy Laboratory at the University of California, Berkeley is a radio interferometer dedicated to cutting-edge astronomical research. This array of antennas is optimized to receive and process a very wide portion of the radio spectrum and can observe many areas of the sky at once.

www.afspc.af.mil...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

agreed. we can only hope.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It does state that in the article.

In fact Space Command are much more concerned about tracking satellites in orbit around Earth, and consider that the innovative Allen Array could be handy in picking up transmissions from spacecraft so as to help the existing military Space Surveillance Network keep a handle on where they are.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Indeed it does.
But the interest by the Air Force is not new and the Register headline is bogus.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If they are looking through the radio spectrum then the technology will have to use some form of modulation. If we do see a signal this modulation is likely to represent an analogue sine wave of which our instruments are capable of. However if we receive a digitally modulated signal or other form unknown to us then we will have to crack the code it is modulated in before we can get any information from the signal. If the signal is encrypted as well it will make it virtually impossible for us to decode if they are more advanced than us.

Of course we all make assumptions that life is like us and has the same instincts. It is human nature to explore and reach out, doesn't mean that any aliens we find would be the same. Who is to say they are trying to contact anybody at all. Maybe they don't want to be found. Making your home planet a beacon in space is probably a trait of an undeveloped species. I cannot imagine that any advanced life forms that have survived long enough to get technology that can traverse space will be looking to be found at all. Why allow potential threats to observe you first, first you observe them and evaluate if they are a threat or not. Maybe that is why we haven't had visitors yet, as they see us as too much of a war mongering threat.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eyespying

If the target planet has been sending radio signals for at least 600 years we would possibly be able to pick up the signals. The idea is that any type of communication would have a pattern that would make it distinct from the natural background energy.

If we sense a signal that is evidence of radio communication the next step would be to broadcast a greeting in the direction of the exoplanet. If they are home and listening for a signal and responded to our greeting we will have proof of other folks out there. 600 year round trip at the speed of light, we will have our answer in just 1200 years.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyespying

I thought it was 600 "light" years away? The SETI telescope uses radio. Not sure what the thinking behind this is. Can someone explain?
Both radio waves and light are parts of the electromagnetic spectrum. Radio waves are, in essence, light with a wavelength too long for us to see. Both light and radio waves travel at the speed of light. A particular sort of radio waves from the newly discovered planet could be a very good indication of intelligent life there. Ross

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
As this is something,
I know something about for a change,
I can contribute something constructive....

To restart the ATA,
the Seti Institute raised the funds from private donors using the Setistars initiative.

See....

info.setistars.org...

and also a sizeable contribution from Jodie Foster from the Contact movie.

See...

www.space.com...

Also seti@home,
a different organisation,
is to use Kepler data for targeted search,
collected at Green Bank Telescope.

See...

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

Never heard of any wing of the military organisation
having anything significant to do with either project in recent times,
or any concrete military requests made upon them.
edit on 6/12/11 by Donegal_TDI because: To edit

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Why do I get the feeling that this has already been long discovered by them and they are feeding us crap?
Oh sure we can turn seti back on, but it will cost ya. We won’t tell you it was never turned off.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

If SETI announces an alien signal found it will be too much of a coincidence for me, lol. The chances of kepler 22b having aliens that have built radio transmitters is astronomical IMO.

Not really....transmission of signals is not a man made concept. Certain Insects can transmit signals between each other. I would assume other life on another planet COULD evolve that way also.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join