It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a piece of the rock

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Also, I finally found notes I made alot earlier, can't remember the year. I took a piece to a geologist at Colorado College. His name was Eiler Henrickson He apologized because he wasn't sure but he was the one who told me the rock was an iron meteorite. I mentioned Hematite but he said the inside would also be black and this was silver.
He was to call me back with some names of people that could help but I never heard from him again.
He died in 2002. Don't think this will change anyone's mind but I do know he was a respected geologist.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Somehow I missed your post. Sorry it gets hectic here. I tried writing to Geoman but my explorer is down and has been for quite a while. Cannot send it to him, Really want to find out what this is!! do you have any ideas how I can get in touch with him outside of explorer?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by copperhead12

#One son just scratched a glass jar with that rock!!!! It was a deep scratch and not alot of force behind it. That tells me it is harder than a 5. Am I wrong?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I am sorry people about the NEMS analysis. Basically, they are fired.
It specifically stated in their document that petrological AND chemical analysis would be done on the sample.
It was not. They are not sending me a spectral chart, therefor, I have not given up.
I believe the analysis of Iron oxide to be as good as if they came back and said it was bubble gum. Some IMCA friends I have are not impressed as well.

So, on to the next lab it goes. This one may take even more time, but time is something we all have.
I am thinking University of Arizona. I am going to try and get the Hupe brothers to examine it.

Sometimes, you just gotta keep the faith.

Again, I wish this had just been a simple thing, but life always has other plans.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by copperhead12

Littlewolf, this damn rock has been such a headache. For twenty years I have heard oh it's this and No it must be that and It's junk and it's something great. Personally, I think it moves molecules around in the night and morphs into what ever it feels like being.

Actually I've come to a new conclusion. You are actually in possession of the legendary 'Philosopher's Stone', and since you got approximately 2 tons of it I'm definitely putting my hand for a piece. Your friend’s father didn't happen to be called Nicolas Flamel by any chance? And the rail tracks it was found on didn't happen to be anywhere platform 9 3/4s?

My silverware turns black not white.Is pewter an ore? I never heard anyone strike pewter. Gold and silver,yes but I think pewter is man made.

nah it's manmade like webpirate pointed out and was first created in the Bronze Age. It's basically man's early attempt of making a silvery metallic looking material that's cheapish (though not so much these days), semi-durable material that doesn't rust pre-stainless steel days. Tin by itself is actually quite soft but more or less corrosion free so they added a bunch of other stuff in to it to make it stronger. A tin can actaully only has a thin coating of tin on the inside and outside so it doesn't rust and the rest I think is just steel.

little wolf, do you work at the Prominent Hill mine? googled iron-oxide ore and they had a pic of that mine in Australia.

I work in one of the many many iron ore mines in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. Amazing countryside - deserts, gorges and little oasises but i don't get to see too much of it these days since i stopped working in Exploration.

#One son just scratched a glass jar with that rock!!!! It was a deep scratch and not alot of force behind it. That tells me it is harder than a 5. Am I wrong?

I think glass is 6-7 on the Moh's Hardness Scale. Silver I think is like 3 or something and iron oxide is like 7. But you gotta keep in mind that most ores ore are a mixture of a bunch of different elements so it's often the case that the resultant hardness is close to the hardest element contained in the mix

Originally posted by charlyv
I am sorry people about the NEMS analysis. Basically, they are fired.
It specifically stated in their document that petrological AND chemical analysis would be done on the sample.
It was not. They are not sending me a spectral chart, therefor, I have not given up.
I believe the analysis of Iron oxide to be as good as if they came back and said it was bubble gum. Some IMCA friends I have are not impressed as well.

So, on to the next lab it goes. This one may take even more time, but time is something we all have.
I am thinking University of Arizona. I am going to try and get the Hupe brothers to examine it.

Sometimes, you just gotta keep the faith.

Again, I wish this had just been a simple thing, but life always has other plans.

Too bad Charly. I'm flying up to work tomorrow so I can make talk to our lab manager about getting it tested here if Copperhead's up for it. At our mine we test a very large amount of samples per day so I could probably just slip it in and no-one would be any the wiser and this would obviously be free. But this is only a fairly basic test with an iron ore slant to it so they won't be testing for things like silver etc which seems to me to be quite important.

But back when I worked in Exploration our samples then would be tested for everything under the sun, so maybe that's the direction to head. Having said that I have no doubt the U.S. has labs that do the same thing so it maybe easier and quicker for me to track one of them down and have Copperhead send it there (if she's up for it....) What you'd basically have to do is weigh up the cost and time of sending it to me vs. the cost and time of seding it to a lab in the states vs. Charlyv's University of Arizona vs. never ever knowing at all...

Things are never quite as simple as they should be.

I'm still leaning toward manganese-rich iron smelter slag but the fact that it reacted to vinegar when you tested it Copperhead, and purely due to the region you live in I'm still not discounting the silver-ore theory either....

edit on 17/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Well charlyv you tried. They were just looking for a meteorite because that is what they do. When the scope said terrestrial they walked away. I was really hoping that we would get some closure but if at first-------try again.
Do you still have pieces of the rock?
Charlyv you are still the best. #3 son is hoping for meteorite from Mercury but he also believes in the tooth fairy.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Little wolf, I don't know about the railroad but there has been a guy flying around here on a broom for several days!
Well, I called my friend and he said that his father had it "looked at" and was told it was platinum ore. Maybe I shouldn't have even contacted him. Like the sound of that better than iron oxide but I doubt his father would have paid someone to look at it and really check it out. Neighbor ladies were missing a chicken out of their coop every Sunday but the old man ate well

If you slipped a piece of this thing in with the other samples, it would probably close the mine down! I will send you a piece if you want it but not 5# maybe the 1# piece that we ground on.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Found an email address for geoman and emailed him a bit of info. Thanks for the link.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I took a pound of alloy that i thought was silver to a jeweler to sell, and he did an acid test on it and told me i had fine Pewter, then he proceeded to show me the difference and what to look for while scrapping.

silver burns white oxide when acid test is done, pewter burns black oxide, that's how you know for sure

my $600 worth of silver turned into $10 worth of pewter in an instant
so now i'm making pirates of the Caribbean coins out of it

edit on 17-1-2012 by sweetnlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetnlow

Okay, now it makes more sense. Silver burns white and pewter burns black. Only pewter I have are old glass bottom mugs from england.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
you should put some of that stone in a ceramic crucible and run an oxygen and acetylene torch over it and see if it actually melts into a puddle, then you will know its an alloy, make sure you sprinkle some welding/brazing flux over it before you run the torch to give it a veil so it will melt not burn

Other than that its probably some volcanic weird stuff that has no value

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by sweetnlow

Okay, now it makes more sense. Silver burns white and pewter burns black. Only pewter I have are old glass bottom mugs from england.

the cool part is you can actually melt pewter on your stove top, its melting point is 500 degrees, silver is over 1500 degrees

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Copper and All...new thread just posted on front page....

Scientists confirm discovery of rocks that fell to Earth from Mars, page 1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The photo in the thread looks amazing familiar...

There is always hope....

Des

edit on 17-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks, Des. I am off to check the composition of it. Of course I don't know the composition of the rocks I have and don't believe the iron-oxide. But it doesnt hurt to check as many things as I can. I have all kinds of "it-must-be" But no it is certain as of yet. But charlyv hasn't given up yet so we will see.
Your goats okay?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Thanks, Des. I am off to check the composition of it. Of course I don't know the composition of the rocks I have and don't believe the iron-oxide. But it doesnt hurt to check as many things as I can. I have all kinds of "it-must-be" But no it is certain as of yet. But charlyv hasn't given up yet so we will see.
Your goats okay?

Yep. Goats are fine. With their winter coats and fat, they look like furry beer barrels on short furry sticks....

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This is my first time reading/discovering this topic. I have to say, this has been one of the best reads I've ever had on ATS. It's the digital equivalent of a page-turner. The whole time I was reading the posts anticipating the results from charlyv's people, I was thinking, "This is great. Finally a topic where by the end there will be an actual, definitive answer!" I was so disappointed when it wasn't so.
(And seriously, I share some modicum of your and his frustration with them for not doing what they said they would.)

It sounds like enough people are on it now though, that with enough time and persistence you will get your answers. I can't wait to find out. I'm fascinated, now.

I wish you luck in your quest to identify these rocks.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Des, what this thread needs is one more picture. We need a furry beer barrel on sticks. All of us are running out of beer. Was about to tell you to hi-jack the rednecks and take their beer but furry barrels will work great. Take a pic!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I have a love/hate relationship with these rocks. I also have a large thick folder of possible things it could be. Some are just wishin' I think and some actually fit most of the scientific things.
I am having fun with all the people they are just great. I feel I have made alot of friends here. And stick around, maybe the furry beer barrels are coming. Welcome to the party.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

charlyv, I emailed a note to the Johnson Space Center (I think! navigation on their site is strange) But the meteorite letter said to contact them. I am not holding out for meteorite just another place that may help. I will let you know when or if they answer.
Sent a note to Geoman as someone else suggested but he is not interested.
I don't know why. I have picked up rocks all my life. I like their looks sometimes and others I cannot believe I really picked that stuff up. But this rock has bugged me from day one and it won't quit bugging me. Maybe it IS talking to me
Wish I could speak "rock" Does Rosetta Stone have a disc for that?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Des, what this thread needs is one more picture. We need a furry beer barrel on sticks. All of us are running out of beer. Was about to tell you to hi-jack the rednecks and take their beer but furry barrels will work great. Take a pic!

Will do copper. When I go to let them out of their pen to graze by the pond, I'll take a pic and post it here.

I'll get one of Thistle...he looks the most like the furry beer barrel....

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join