It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a piece of the rock

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by copperhead12
By the way, little wolf, wouldn't Iron oxide be magnetic? and it isn't the color of rust. and the school of mines said high silver content. Straighten me out here!!

Hi copperhead I only just noticed your u2u then so if you check your inbox you'll see my reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As to your question, the short answer is no.

There are quite a few different types of iron oxides, one of them being rust. An oxide in a metal is basically just the the metal being mixed with oxygen. The chemical formula for rust and hematite (one of the most is common iron oxides as well as iron ores) is Fe2O3 - basically the molecule is 2 iron atoms to 3 oxygen atoms.

The difference between the rust and hematite is one is just metal rusting in an unconfined space and therefore forms in a rusty porous structure that forms regular old rust that we're all familiar with. Hematite forms underground by slightly different means within limited space and therefore forms a different, more dense internal structure which manages to retain the metallic 'look' that most people would assume an iron oxide/ore would look like.

Magnetism only occurs when the iron oxide has a particular molecular structure where all the iron in the structure is aligned the same way. This can very occasionally occur in the iron oxide hematite under specific conditions and is called maghemite, but the generally only occurs in another iron oxide mineral known as magnetite whose chemical formula is Fe3O4 (3 iron atoms to 4 oxygen atoms).

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by charlyv

charlyv, I am disapointed that I am not a gazillion dollars richer. But you had it checked. I have a hard time believing the iron oxide part. Because of the report from the school of mines. Let me know when you get that report.

Copper I too am sad you aren't planning an island vacation right now. But, I've so enjoyed this thread. Made some new friends, and learned a lot I didn't know about rocks, and dino-poop.

I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Thanks for one of the most interesting, and co-operative threads I've ever had the pleasure of being part of....

Des

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by copperhead12

Copper sweet pea,

I'm also sad about the report. I'm sad you aren't booking an island vacation right now. but, no matter what, this has been a great thread experience. You are a hoot and a holler Girl Friend

I've made new friends, and learned so much about rocks and dino-poop. Can't complain about that.

It's also been one of the most fun, and cooperative threads I've ever been on. I thank you for that Copper.

Des

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I am sad that this isnt a meterite rock. I wish it was an awsome rock. But, it isn't. I wish i could find some neat rocks and fossils like you have. I like this thread it has been great reagin all the posts in it and very interesting. there rae so many smart people on ATS.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Yeah....I has been great the amount of cooperation between ATS members here over this damn thing!! It used to be a rock, but since it's reportedly not special any more it's just a damn thing!
It's great to know we have a place we can go to online and have people we can work with to solve a mystery!

Now on to the dino poop!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I have been obsessed, stressed and possessed over this rock since I found it. I have sent it everywhere! I have looked all over the internet. I bought my first computer because of this rock and all I have found is "nothing". It is and it is not that and it is this but not.
This rock has taught me that this is more about people and people helping people than any damn rock can be.I love you all and you don't know how much I appreciate your input has meant.Charlyv, I do appreciate your help and input. And Des, you added alot of humor and love to the thread, Littlewolf, thank you for the help and I am glad you will continue to check this thing out. You with the beatings will continue, thank you for everything and the allien cow abductions. and all you have contributed. Thank you! Keep beating us until we wake up and enjoy mankind!!!
All the rest of you that have added to this thread, even ghost. I am not poisoning any one.
they just take a small piece of the rock and try to find out what it is and I never hear from them again
I love ATS but most of all I love all of you who have contributed to this thread. I will let you all know if it turns out to be more than a piece of the rock but is really about people and not rocks!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

its the inside of a septarian nodule or dragon stone,
septarian link
edit on 1/14/2012 by balanc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Kiss. Keep it simple stupid...

Iron ore... LOL explains the silvery look inside.
also explains why a sledgy did no damage to it.
and of course the weight...

I'm very sorry copperhead i know you were hoping it was of some sort of value =\ but look at it this way, for your flowers its probably the best thing, i mean while it breaks down all the minerals in it break down and go to the soil xD

AS FOR the comments you made on pg 9... Tibet holds the secrets to everything we know, i am a firm believer of that. So sorting them, artifact from junk is a must do operation lol. I suggest you upload a bunch of photos of some of the stuff even if you haven't checked it out yet. Purely because we(the ATS community) can help out and make the job quicker =D.

rename the thread to copperheads pile-o-maybes. maybe? =D

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
Hi Folks,
Well, the news about the suspected meteorite is not good. The lab says it is Iron Oxide, a non-magnetic variety, which I found hard to understand. Here is the report:

Now, part of this was to also get a spectroscopic sheet to tell all of the elements in it. I have asked for that , since it was not in the inital letter they sent back. I will publish it as soon as they email it to me.

So, preliminary, they say it is not meteoritic material. Sad, but it is information. I just wish the news was better.

Well it's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

My life is iron oxides (for better or worse) and from the information provided up until this letter it really did not sound like an iron oxide to me.

Took it to a mining museum and I will write out the letter in part because she is no longer there.
" Steel gray on the fresh face, tarnishes to dull black. Hardness of>3-

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Hi All,

Ive been on ATS for many years now and never read a thread like this. It had confusion, humour, suspense, intrigue, It had me on the edge of my chair with popcorn all the way lolz.

Once again excellent advice from fellow ATSers. Ive come back to this thread about 10 times for updates on the rock results (now that was curiosity at its best) I hope and wish you don't give up on your quest to find out what the rock is.

Good Luck and don't give up!

S&F

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hey guys, did you see that? It is not a pile-o-poopie!!! It is a dragon stone.
Still like the name Des gave it. Maybe I'll call it Pile-o-dragon-poopie.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Grand Master

I don't give up easily. They usually have to beat me to make me give up. But it depends on the readout that charlyv posts. It won't make sense to me but ATS guys will be able to tell me what it means.
Now I don't know if I should start another thread about the Tibet things or just add it to this one.
This thread has been so much fun that I hate to let it die.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Partys no fun if the booze is gone and the thread is dead if the point has been made =D so i think start a new thread but thats just me.

However i for one will always look out for any thread started by Copperhead12(OP). They have proven to be very interesting,entertaining and all round a good read.

lol Pile-o-dragon-poopie? dragon stone? Fisherman's giblets? Aarcadius's Flag? Really guys the names you come up with... here take a lesson from the USA and just call everything by what it really is.

edit on 14-1-2012 by Aarcadius because: HAHA wrong pic -.-

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I hadn't even thought about the specific analysis of the breakdown of each element found in it. Those have to be expensive, but I did think that's how it was being analyzed. I hope he does post or has the actual analysis.

If nothing else we can say we found a new species of rock and call it a copperheadcharleydeslittlewolfacite.
There...I actually like that better anyways. Everyone who has helped in this thread gets part of the name....hope I didn't leave anyone out.

I bet we can split it up then with a big hammer and sell it for more than the fossilized dino poop on that site i linked a few posts back!!!
"New rock species" Just classified by paleogeologistic pirates! Get yours today. All proceeds go to ATS for new tin foil hats for all new members!

edit on 14-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
=\ copper Aarcalite? =D sounds pretty damn catchy

"found me some Aarcalite" =O is it copper? "you know it mate!"

Sorry mods in advanced =\ couldnt resist.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i had so much fun reading this thread!!!

i saw the topic weeks and weeks ago and only today did i click on it. i wanted to skip to the last page like i was reading a novel LOL!! i held on and refused to skip ahead even though i was dying to know.

i'm bummed it's not from outer space but it's pretty cool that the mystery is solved.

i used to collect rocks when i was a kid. i had a pretty interesting stash. my mom got rid of most of the really cool pieces
i still have one pretty good sized piece of mica that i've had several people try to buy off of me but i always say "hell no!"

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Hello, you should have been here sooner. I grew up looking for rocks and arrow heads and fossils with my mom.
Last year we had a load of gravel brought in for the driveway and the grand kids were playing in it They got really excited and yelled " Grandma, we found petrified water!" Well I had to see that. I think it is either silica or mica.
Does look kinda like petified water.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by pasiphae

Hello, you should have been here sooner. I grew up looking for rocks and arrow heads and fossils with my mom.
Last year we had a load of gravel brought in for the driveway and the grand kids were playing in it They got really excited and yelled " Grandma, we found petrified water!" Well I had to see that. I think it is either silica or mica.
Does look kinda like petified water.

"petrified water" that's hilarious!

my chunk of mica is about 8.5" x 5" x about an inch thick. i remember showing it to a science teacher when i was in about the 5th grade and he REALLY wanted it. i haven't met too many rock hounds in my life but all the ones i've met who notice it in my house want to buy it from me.

i used to have several pieces of pyrite in some sort of white rock. no idea what happened to those. i've got crystals i dug up off the side of the road in arkansas when i was in my early 20's. the rest i've just purchased at rock shops. nothing that out of the ordinary. i wish i could remember where i found the mica. seems like i picked it up in new mexico on a walk when i was about 9yrs old.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i just took a pic of my petrified water
i didn't have a ruler handy so i threw in my foot for fun and perspective... yes, it's real.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I hadn't even thought about the specific analysis of the breakdown of each element found in it. Those have to be expensive, but I did think that's how it was being analyzed. I hope he does post or has the actual analysis.

Iron oxides is pretty general, but as an iron ore geologist I guess I am a little biased. That sort of analysis is surprisingly not as expensive as you would think - probably about $15 - to $40 bucks a sample. But like I said that is the key. You would be very surprised what can turn up in even the most innocuous piece of rock.

If it is indeed iron oxide, judging by the specific gravity as determined by the mining museum, then it will either be a very pure piece of hematite, or it will be mixed with something e.g silver, copper, lead etc that makes it a bit heavier than one would expect.

If nothing else we can say we found a new species of rock and call it a copperheadcharleydeslittlewolfacite.
There...I actually like that better anyways. Everyone who has helped in this thread gets part of the name....hope I didn't leave anyone out.

I bet we can split it up then with a big hammer and sell it for more than the fossilized dino poop on that site i linked a few posts back!!!
"New rock species" Just classified by paleogeologistic pirates! Get yours today. All proceeds go to ATS for new tin foil hats for all new members!

Lol nice. But given this is ATS, I gotta put my vote in in for fossilized grey alien poop. Just think how many tinfoil hats you could buy with that! You could probably get em all crafted to look 'Magneto' style and get each member bottle of shampoo which is 'guaranteed nanobot free'.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join