It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will we ever Reach Planet Keplar-22b?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Its 600 light years away. Does that mean anything to you people?
Voyagers have been traveling for 34 years and are not even out of our solar system.
Voyager 1 is currently about 10 billion miles away from the Sun. That’s about .00183 light years.
Voyager 2 is approximately 97 astronomical units or 8.6 billion miles away from the sun. It isn’t heading toward any particular star either. It should pass by Sirius in about 296,000 years.

Well, no one said it would be easy.

Personally, I think humanity will either accelerate its evolution or kill itself off before it has any real chance to travel much through space. I think we might have another 5,000 years left in us, tops. Then it will all be mutants or intelligent robots. Not us.

But, hey. Maybe some of the science fiction will come true. Nothing to bet on, though. More like wait and see. We'll all be dead by then.

edit on 6-12-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by grantbeed

Imagine if the planet was tough going but survivable-How would these people born on a new world think about us for sending them there?
Lonely and possibly angry about being sent off on some mad experiment maybe..

Well, the humans that would be born would not need to know where they came from. They would essentially have robots as parents.

Who's to say, we were not brought here by similar means.......possibly from a planet 600light yrs away!!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

Seems to me that their could be a "method in the madness of NASA"...

Whats your thought on this?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

he distance to Kepplar 22b is so vast that I think our best chance of getting there at the moment would be If a friendly alien race found Earth,and shared their tech with us.

why would a friendly advanced alien race. would give tech to some violent, greedy and self-destructive race?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

We would need to generate and harness a wormhole.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Hmm not telling the human babies where they are from could lead to some strange relationships-

"Mommy,Why is your face made out of metal?"

++Worry not human,I am a metallic construct here to help you survive on Keplar 22b.++

"Are we there yet?"

++We are not there yet Human,and I am speaking to you via quantum uplink,and you are still in the clone tank.
You are not born yet,you are a week old embro in stasis-but we are training you on the way to your new world,by the time you are born you will have absorbed every piece of knowledge the humans have discovered until this point in time.++

"I'm scared"

++no need to be scared-you will be the most knowledgeable clones ever,you will know Kung Fu,Compassion,and engineering.
You shall be prepared.
You will know all the humans can teach you,through me,your robot parent. on the way to the stars.++

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Just to clarify, if anyone is looking for this movie it is actually called 'K-PAX' (www.imdb.com...) and I'm pretty sure the main character travels home on a beam of light, rather than by astral projection.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Dont forget about time dilation, even if you cant travel FTL for an astronaut traveling a significant fraction of the speed of light 600 light years is doable in a human lifetime.
and
I often think that quantum entanglement may offer us a means of communication across light years.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by vesta

www.bbc.co.uk...

Seems to me that their could be a "method in the madness of NASA"...

Whats your thought on this?

Its entirely possible too. Maybe this planet is just 1 of hundreds/thousands that they have found that could support life, but can you really blame them for trying to get the governments attention and get more $$$?

They are hardly likely to get a huge fund increase to go and find microbes on Mars, when there's potential to develop technology to visit a much more appealing, mouthwatering candidate, albeit its distance.

;-)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

My question is, why not?

It's not like we can go there tomorrow. It's not that simple. And even so, we can't send an armada of people and supplies until we know what that planet is comprised of. We also don't know if there is life there.

We don't necessary have to colonize it.

Rather, we should be curious about what lies outside of our world and we should make every attempt to at least explore, whether it be by probes, telescopes or even shuttles.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Dont forget about time dilation, even if you cant travel FTL for an astronaut traveling a significant fraction of the speed of light 600 light years is doable in a human lifetime.
and
I often think that quantum entanglement may offer us a means of communication across light years.

Yes, Time Dilation is the key.

Time dilation is a very well known and proven physical phenomenon.

Of course, when the astronauts return to Earth, if they return to Earth, everyone that they knew will be dead a long time ago, and the planet will have changed a lot...

edit on 7-12-2011 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We need to give Kepler some more time and it will find for us nearer and more Earth like planets yet. These findings are extraordinary and promising towards our future in the universe but the real gems are still to come.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra

Of course, when the astronauts return to Earth, if they return to Earth, everyone that they knew will be dead a long time ago, and the planet will have changed a lot...

True but I dont really think that will be seen as much of a detriment to the explorers themselves who surely must look at leaving what they know behind for the wonder of discovery.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Consider Voyager 1 has been in flight for 34 years and 3 months+ and is about 11 billion miles from the sun which is about 119 AUs. How many AUs in a light year? Just one light year is about 63,240 AUs. A light 'day' is 16,094,799,099.08 miles, so the distance Voyage has traveled can be measured in light 'hours', which is about 2/3rds of a light day or around 9 light hours. Multiply that by about 1,037,400 and you come up with something just shy of a quarter billion years it would take Voyager 1 to reach this star system if it was heading that way, which it isn't so lets call that academic, give or take a few million years in the rounding process and using the distance of 625 light years and not the 600 or so talked about. Someone better at math than me could chip away at that figure that I believe any time delineation also becomes 'academic' to discuss. Knowledge is useless if it can never be communicated.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
reply to post by St Udio

Just to clarify, if anyone is looking for this movie it is actually called 'K-PAX' (www.imdb.com...) and I'm pretty sure the main character travels home on a beam of light, rather than by astral projection.

Yep.
And, in turn, that movie is based (basically a copy of) of an OLD argentinian movie called "Man facing southwest"

Really wierd movie.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just to be sure, we're all talking about reaching a planet that's 5,676,438,283,548,480 kilometers away within a reasonable stretch of time, correct?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

where was my brain...
the flick was K-PAX...

here: www.imdb.com...

Ratings: 7.3 from 66,328 users

Prot is a patient at a mental hospital who claims to be from a far away Planet. His psychiatrist tries to help him, only to begin to doubt his own explanations.

Director:
Iain Softley
Writers:
Gene Brewer (novel), Charles Leavitt (screenplay)
Stars:
Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges and Mary McCormack

interesting flick--- the first time
mildly tolerable on the 2nd viewing

no wonder it rated a 7... (like my facebook pic & bio)

thanks for the refresher...

Yep.
And, in turn, that movie is based (basically a copy of)
of an OLD argentinian movie called "Man facing southwest"

dang...it took me awhile to return to the thread/time... i sorta got transported like the character in KPAX

edit on 7-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join