It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will we ever Reach Planet Keplar-22b?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own. The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C

www.bbc.co.uk...

Question is, how would we make it to this planet?

I had an idea of robots taking frozen embryos, but then I realised its already been thought of -

Methods for slow manned missions

Slow interstellar travel designs such as Project Longshot generally use near-future propulsion technologies. As a result, voyages are extremely long, starting from about one hundred years and reaching to thousands of years.
Crewed voyages might be one-way trips to set up colonies. Nevertheless, serious if preliminary discussions are taking root for the ~100 year time scale, with trials of the MMSEV/Nautilus-X[22][23] concept preliminary to asteroid exploration in preparation.[24][25] The duration of a slow interstellar journey presents a major obstacle.

The following are some proposed solutions:

Enzmann starship

The Enzmann starship, as detailed by G. Harry Stine in the October 1973 issue of Analog, was a design for a future starship, based on the ideas of Dr. Robert Duncan-Enzmann.[26] The spacecraft itself as proposed used a 12,000,000 ton ball of frozen deuterium to power 12–24 thermonuclear pulse propulsion units.[26] Twice as long as the Empire State Building and assembled in-orbit, the spacecraft was part of a larger project preceded by interstellar probes and telescopic observation of target star systems.[26][27] [edit]

Generation ships

A generation ship is a type of interstellar ark in which the crew which arrives at the destination is descended from those who started the journey. Generation ships are not currently feasible, because of the difficulty of constructing a ship of the enormous required scale, and the great biological and sociological problems that life aboard such a ship raises.

Suspended animation

Scientists and writers have postulated various techniques for suspended animation. These include human hibernation and cryonic preservation. While neither is currently practical, they offer the possibility of sleeper ships in which the passengers lie inert for the long years of the voyage.

Extended human lifespan

A variant on this possibility is based on the development of substantial human life extension, such as the "Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence" proposed by Dr. Aubrey de Grey. If a ship crew had lifespans of some thousands of years, or had artificial bodies, they could traverse interstellar distances without the need to replace the crew in generations. The psychological effects of such an extended period of travel would potentially still pose a problem.

Frozen embryos

Embryo space colonization A robotic space mission carrying some number of frozen early stage human embryos is another theoretical possibility. This method of space colonization requires, among other things, the development of a method to replicate conditions in a uterus, the prior detection of a habitable terrestrial planet, and advances in the field of fully autonomous mobile robots and educational robots which would replace human parents.

en.wikipedia.org...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other ideas ATS, and can we see anything like this being attempted in the foreseeable future?

Also, would there be a quicker, easier way to try and make contact with this planet, instead of sending a physical craft there?

edit on 6-12-2011 by grantbeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Stargates?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
too far we wait until we find something closer.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The better question would be, Why even go there in the first place? Seriously, we can't even take care of the one planet we were given. What makes us think we have the right to impregnate another planet with our parasitic species.

I'm all for space and other planets, but how about we refocus our resources and money on understanding our own planet before thinking about screwing up someone elses.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

@Question is, how would we make it to this planet?

You just leave the current sleepers in deep space sleep upload another few years of data and by the time the story gets to finding a new world awake the sleepers once in orbit of the new star system of interest.... Then download. Or just ask to use some of Earths existing native techs by those who have it and may not be human but still are Earth native..

edit on 12/6/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Normal spaceship movement is not an option. Even travelling at 10% of the speed of light would mean a 6000 year long journey.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
too far we wait until we find something closer.

If it's too far, then we either wait until we find something closer, or wait until we beat the physics and can get there faster. No sense sending a slow ship that direction that will be bypassed in space by another ship 150 years from now going a whole lot faster.

Human beings aren't built for long space flights. Robots. Virtual reality. That's the only way we'll ever have anything to do with it.

Space is really, really, ree-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-eally big.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
No problem.

Will be they to come here!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ya it would have to be some sort of stargate or going faster than the speed of light. Who's to say that this planet has not been destroyed by now? I agree with another poster though...we'll find something much closer. In fact I bet we find something that will blow us away in the next few years.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Think about how technology is advancing at an ever greater rate. Things we take for granted now would seem like magic to people living only a few generations ago. I'm sure some new theory will come along that allows us to travel these kinds of distances in the blink of an eye, how far off that kind of technology may be is impossible to guess at, but it's inevitable we will discover a way to do it eventually. I believe it is our destiny to do it

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here might be a case of Art imitating Reality...

see, a few years back there was a movie called 'Kapac'

(whoa... thats' a scrambled up 'Kepler'------------ If you really stretch your imagination)

well the Kapac movie was about this guy claiming to be Alien, from a distant planet 'Kapac'

and he told all the 20 characters in the psyche ward, that on a certain date he would --in essence--- transport himself back to his homeworld..

now this thread is about reaching a Kepler planet some 600 light years distant...

hey just do it like in the movies... Astral Project...someone to the Kepler (Kapac) Planet

watch-free-movie-online.net...

just to clarify stuff... in another report about this 'habital planet'... the terrestial/rocky planet size of Kepler 22-b is said to be 2.4 radius of the Earth... which, if correct would make the distant planet a diameter of 4.8 bigger than the Earth...
the mass & volume of 22-b needs to be brought into comparison with Earth Life...

i think only creatures like dinosaurs with 10ft thick legs & hearts the size of refrigerators could exist on such a gravity intense world...unless of course it is a 'water' planet
edit on 6-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

on the other hand... just build humongeous telescopes with A
I enhancemet features... we might be able to 'see' the planet/air/water/clouds/continents/deserts or forests ... albiet from 600 year ago, as light travels
edit on 6-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

The distance to Kepplar 22b is so vast that I think our best chance of getting there at the moment would be If a friendly alien race found Earth,and shared their tech with us.
Then we could build a ship capable of getting there,or maybe we could hitch a lift from the aliens who found Earth.

I do like the frozen embryo idea,but that may have its downsides as well.
Imagine if the planet was tough going but survivable-How would these people born on a new world think about us for sending them there?
Lonely and possibly angry about being sent off on some mad experiment maybe..
We would need to perfect quantum entanglement communications,so that they could speak to us Earthlings for help and support in real time.

The thing is,I truly believe that we humans could get there one day,or to another similar planet.
I actually think it is our destiny to spread to other worlds-If we can refrain from destroying our species before we get to that technological level.
In fact it will be a priority in the next few hundred years if our population keeps growing the way it is.

The reasons for not trying are pathetic IMO...
"oh no we can't send people out into the void-they could die!"seems to be a popular reason for not trying.
Well,by that way of thinking we should not send people off to war,or even let people drive cars.

What I would give to walk on another habitable world free from all the nonsense we have to put up with...

Thought provoking thread GB.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This blog really puts me at loggerheads.
I have no qualms about understanding that there are thousands of planets in just one arm of this galaxy.
The distances are so vast that conventional modes of propulsion are not able to get us there in any manner that would be useful. So is there another scenario in place like new technology that can take advantage of displacement?
Is this announced to keep the population from the rest of the story and allow for hope of a new world because
there is not much left to rape from Gaia. Then people will be calm as the eugenics program continues?
Great revelation, interesting also.
Always wanting the best for mankind, I wish peace for everyone! Peace!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Its 600 light years away. Does that mean anything to you people?

Voyagers have been traveling for 34 years and are not even out of our solar system.

Voyager 1 is currently about 10 billion miles away from the Sun. That’s about .00183 light years.

Voyager 2 is approximately 97 astronomical units or 8.6 billion miles away from the sun. It isn’t heading toward any particular star either. It should pass by Sirius in about 296,000 years.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

It may seem impossible from our perspective today-But so did flight and going to the moon seem impossible to our ancestors.
To us 600 light years is incomprehensible to visualize let alone travel.
But to future generations?
Maybe they will find a way.
Maybe they will have to.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

There is General Relativity to overcome as well, not just wings on a glider floating in the sky for a hundred feet. That's a hurdle of a different magnitude, like one that is theoretically impossible. Even Star Trek didn't travel that far and just how do they communicate with star fleet traveling faster than the speed of light? You see its Sci-Fi, not real.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This goes to show you that our priorities are out of wack. We should be spending money on advanced propulsion and technologies to allow us to warp space rather than just fininding out there is cool stuff out there we can not hope to ever see, visit, sample, understand.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I know it seems impossible.
Lets see what happens after the singularity occurs.

Hey,a lot of good sci fi ideas have come true already.
And you never know,we could get a lucky break like I mentioned before about aliens sharing tech with us-provided they don't want to eat us or use us as batteries for their ships of course.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So if we took the relative size of a single bacteria that has travelled from the earth on voyager 8 billion miles how much bigger than a single bacteria is a human being? Times that figure by 8 billion! See where in going here?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
This goes to show you that our priorities are out of wack. We should be spending money on advanced propulsion and technologies to allow us to warp space rather than just fininding out there is cool stuff out there we can not hope to ever see, visit, sample, understand.

Agreed, imagine if Countries joined together, stopped wars and spent the money on advancing propulsion technology. NASA has a pathetic budget compared to that of the Military.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join