It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strangers prevent abduction of 10 year old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The march of the seriously sick people continues. Just a VERY GOOD THING that some people had the b@lls to do something about it!

Strangers Stop Attempted Abduction Of Girl, 10
Passers-By Block Car's Escape; Driver Pushes Youngster Out Of Car
Updated: 3:53 p.m. EDT April 11, 2003

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Passers-by are being credited with stopping a child abduction in Jacksonville.

A 10-year-old girl told police a man forced her into his car while she was on her way to school Thursday. But the man ended up throwing the child out of his car and driving off, as others tried to keep him from taking the girl by blocking his vehicle.

One woman says she saw what was happening and "just went crazy" -- jumping out of her own car and running toward the scene.

Meanwhile, the victim -- who isn't being identified -- says she was "hitting and kicking" the man.

No less than five people got involved to thwart this kidnap try, including two women who positioned their cars to block the suspect's car. As he swerved his car to get around one of the women's car, he finally gave up, and pushed her out onto the street before taking off.

"I just thank God that she knew enough to fight and scream and holler," the girl's mother, Brenda (pictured, right) said. "You always think that these type of things cannot happen to you. But when they actually come to your front door, realization sets in."

The girl was later treated for cuts and scrapes.

Authorities are still looking for the would-be kidnapper driving a gold Toyota Camry.

Police say residents of the area should be on guard. Parents in the area said they will think twice before allow their children to walk to the bus stop by themselves.

"I'm a parent myself, and I'd be extremely concerned about it," Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Lt. Richard Elkins said. "That's why we're asking if they have any information ... to call us immediately."

The man is described as a short white or Hispanic man in his late 20s. He has a mustache and was smoking a cigar. He had a dark-blue hooded jacket, baggy jeans and a light-color hat.

Police say the car is a four-door, has tinted windows, a dent in the passenger-side doors, and a broken left-front parking light. The car has a Florida license plate ending in the letters HX.

Police ask that anyone with information about the case call the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office at (904) 630-0500.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The child is safe, thank God.

I'm glad to know that some peoples have stopped this child abduction.

We are living in community and we have to take care with each others.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Its great to see there are still people willing to put themselves at risk to help somebody else. I like to think that I would have done the same thing they did.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 05:06 PM
link   
That is indeed a wonderful story.

I know I had my own experience 10 years back when I DIDN'T get involved when I should have. I was a salesperson at a furniture store helping a skiddish young lady and a dopey "yes dear" guy who had a 4 year old boy and another "barely able to crawl" child. I walked away for a couple minutes and I suddenly heard her freak out and go nuts screaming at a the younger child. It sounded bad. My view was obstructed, but I could have walked a little ways to see what was happening. I just didn't want to see what I thought I might. The lady suddenly ran past me with the younger child in her arms and the older one behind her. The guy followed with a dumb ass grin that just told me this was another "here we go again" situation with the young lady.

Three other older ladies who were customers slowly walked by me and asked if I had seen what just happened. I was too ashamed to say that I made no effort to do anything. They said it was awful what she did and then walked away calmly. This made me feel even worse.

I often think of what I could have done to change what happened that day. The thought of where that child is right now and how he has grown up is a hard pill to swallow. If only I had done something.

In retrospect, it is a lesson learned. I have had a different attitude since that happened.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
is child abductions... In the past, we've had a number of high profile cases (the most notable being Adam Walsh, (John Walsh's son), and the force behind "Code Adams" in stores, so we are very aware of this. Most days, it's hard to turn on the news and not see a story about a thwarted abduction....

new topics

top topics

join