It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI and Kepler the ultimate combo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
SETI's Search for Intelligent Alien Life Resumes

Link

I'm getting a bit excited these days, with all the new discoveries in science and the Kepler mission

It's exciting to focus the ATA on likely alien solar systems rather than just point the dishes toward stars and hope for the best

I always thought about this, I don't even think you can compare this to a needle in a haystack but now with Kepler giving 2,326 precise targets I think that if there is life out there and its sending signals we can detect then we have a even better chance than ever before.

I just hope I'm still alive they day we actually find something.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I agree with you SETI and Kepler have a great potential to be a great "team" of discovers, so to speak. However there are problems with the whole radio signal game. The new planet is about 600 light years away from Earth. So for us to get a signal, at least in our lifetime, would have to be sent 600 years ago. Same goes for us, if we beam the signal at them now, they won't get it for 600 years then we have to wait another 600 years to get one back.
All in all it will take some time, but it is so da*n interesting...

Hopefully we will see or get something in our lifetime.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Agreed...

I found it unusual but a welcome change when SETI said it would check the areas of these new "earth like / goldilocks" zone. Its still a needle in a haystack however it could be stated we are using a magnet now to go through that haystack.

Should we look at the conspiracy theories on disclosure and this latest development? The theory goes that we will start finding more and more signs that our initial thought on the galaxy was wrong. Its been suggested we would see small announcements that would build up. We have gone from the UFO craze to the Space race to the Moon Landings, to Mars, to detecting the possibility of other planets, to confirmation of those planets, to detection and confirmation of small earth like worlds.

At the same time we have gone from the majority of the population not believing to an increasing 50% + of those who think we aren't alone. You have religions who are taking the steps to discuss the impact of ET life elsewhere in the galaxy

We have found water and the building blocks of life on comets and other celestial bodies.

We have scientists discussing microbial life, which I believe will be the next "big" announcement.(at least officially confirmed).

Not that I want to be over zealous, but the speed and type of announcements are coming quicker and quicker. Now, we have a government sponsored program (kepler) pairing up with a NGO (SETI). As far as SETI goes it looks like we have come full circle, from government support to no support back to support.

The times we live in are interesting to say the least..

We need something big for the people to believe in and a new space race would be ideal. We seem to have lost our imagination in the times since the moon missions. As a nation we have lost our ability to believe in the human spirit and the mindset that we can do whatever we put our minds to.

We have become complacent and comfortable with the status quo.

Its time we change that... When it comes to something that could unite the planet, space exploration is the answer.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

join