It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet* C/2011 W3 (Lovejoy) will graze the Suns photosphere and may pass thru corona intact..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thank YOU Op, for bringing this to ATS attention in the first place.
This is astronomical history in the making.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

You are very welcome my friend. I noticed some things on the lasco c3 date stamp @2011/12/13 time13:42 there is a comet or something located @ 7oclock going to sun direction also and @ time stamp 2011/12/15 2time2:06 there is something moving infront of the Lovejoy* comet, amazing indeed. Wonder what those can be..

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Phage can you explain the other celestial bodies seen and what they are since they arent mentioned anywhere with Lovejoy?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Excellent find. I see that object, on same trajectory leading the comet. Perhaps, since it is known that comets travel with alot of other loose stuff around them, that this is a piece broken off. It only starts to register when the comet gets closer to the sun. This is very interesting.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Thank you for adding more. So do you feel the comet is driving the object in front of it in like the debris cloud field area. As you can tell I like celestial objects they come from so far with so much potential data within them. Again thank you for the clarification and I like the comets wings that are generated from the reflections

edit on 12/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by charlyv

Thank you for adding more. So do you feel the comet is driving the object in front of it in like the debris cloud field area. As you can tell I like celestial objects they come from so far with so much potential data within them. Again thank you for the clarification and I like the comets wings that are generated from the reflections

edit on 12/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

Well not exactly. We have seen comets get close to the sun before, and also we see what happens when a comet gets captured by Jupiter -> Shoemaker-Levy.... Jupiter's gravity pulled it apart in a line along it's trajectory. Perhaps we are looking at a small example of this.

Another idea would be that since the coma is getting so bright, that this is a lens artifact. Someone else (Phage) needs to chime in on that possibility. Phage seems to know alot about some of the artifacts that SOHO can produce and was extremely helpful debunking that Mercury ghost image thing a week ago....
edit on 15-12-2011 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There Is Another One. According to the 2 most recent images (around Dec 15 @ 1600), there is another object just to the right, and trailing the comet. Appears to be about the same distance behind as the other is ahead.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

I will try and capture it in the images, thank you TomServo for sharing more data...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
According to this orbital diagram of the path Lovejoy is taking through the solar system, the earth, mars and mercury are situated behind it as it approaches the sun.

Source: The Watchers

I suppose it is possible that the gravitational influence of the 3 planets opposite that to the sun has pulled the comet apart slightly to account for the objects before and after the comet. The example given earlier, about Shoemaker-Levy9 was really a tug of war between Jupiter and the Sun, which pulled it apart in it's trajectory towards Jupiter. Interesting, and hope someone chimes in with more thoughts as to why we are seeing these objects before and after the main coma of Lovejoy.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I appreciate you helping things out here charlyv, I have been thinking will the EIT171-195-284 or304 have the close up or will this not be shown. 1 would think those filters or some like close ups would provide good images. If anywho reads this gets the chance please take photographs if it passes thru sun/SOL as it will be comming out on the side facing Earth.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
What else can you say but WOW.
I wonder if it comes out the other side, should know in a few hours.

Courtesy Lasco C2

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Now visible on SDO:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Another perspective. "Side view" from STEREO B.
I don't think she can take much more captain.

edit on 12/15/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Cool!

Phage, did you see that object that the OP noted leading it into perihelion? It can be found in frames of C3 earlier in the day. Do you think it was an artifact or a real piece of the comet?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There is such a dropout of data, especially in this critical time when the comet should have re-appeared from the corona of the Sun, if it indeed made it.

The last data was hours ago, and I know that from consulting the SOHA site, that they expected data dropouts until they can query the instruments at a later time to produce what is no longer realtime data. Very frustrating, but without any of this technology, we would not have what we have. Hoping to see the results once they re-gain acquisition of the instruments and upload the missing data..

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Wow....looks like she made it captain!!! Now what phage..is she heading towards us or how much do you think is left? Don't know how to post link but spaceweather.com said she survived the dive.

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yep, it certainly did. Amazing..

Peekaboo!

and something grabbed your tail!
edit on 16-12-2011 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks phage for you input I was wondering also do you know what of the object that seemed to be infront of the comet, like was it also seen going into or passing SOL? thanks in advance

Originally posted by lightmeup04
Don't know how to post link but spaceweather.com said she survived the dive.

Lightmeup04

Thanks lightmeup04 for the update so it made it passed, interesting how a 200 yard object of ICE material made the transition. Amazing!

reply to post by charlyv

I really appreciate you helping out with this charlyv

I will check back after I can see if there is any more data of it making it thru THANK you all again...

edit on 12/16/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Comet Lovejoy survives pass through sun’s corona
A newly discovered comet dubbed Lovejoy has survived an unbelievably close pass by the sun. The comet actually survived a pass through the sun’s corona on December 15. The comet came within 87,000 miles of the surface of the sun. The temperatures in the corna can reach 2 million degrees Fahrenheit according to Space.com.

Lovejoy was not expected to survive the brush with the sun and was being observed by scientists and was expected to be completely destroyed. The NASA solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft followed Lovejoy on its path through the corona, expecting to see the comet’s demise, and surprisingly saw Lovejoy streak back out into space. Scientists were so convinced that the comet was going to be vaporized that some were shocked and elated when the comet survived.

Lovejoy has a core that is about 660 feet wide and is in a class of comet dubbed Kreutz sungrazers because of the orbit that brings it very close to the sun. The comet was discovered by an Australian amateur astronomer named Terry Lovejoy, which is where the comet name comes from. Comet Lovejoy was discovered on November 27.

www.slashgear.com...

So there we have it more data confirming it made it thru wow that must be sime dense ICE there... AMAZING wonder what of the other fragments
where did it go?

www.space.com...
edit on 12/16/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join